ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

switch from short term visa into tier 4 visa

Only for UK Student Visas, formerly known as Tier 4 (General) student visa

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

areny
Newly Registered
France

switch from short term visa into tier 4 visa

Post by areny » Tue Jul 23, 2019 11:47 am

Dear sir / madame

I am student in France , I will do my third year in the UK at University of Newcastle.
I have a travel document similar to Indefinite leave to remain , all my documents are ready but as I am not a european student I've been told that I should have taken an english language  exam like TOEFL to apply for  tier 4 visa but it is too late now so I do not want to loose my year and university of newcastle told me to first apply for a short term visa and then for the second semester apply for  tier 4 visa so that I have time to pass that english language exam before applying for 4 tier visa.
my question is before I make a final decision I would like to know if there is any risk in applying for 4 tier visa during semester 1 , while I'm on short term visa ( assuming I meet all requirements for tier 4 including english language test) ,i wish to asses the risks of being rejected for tier 4 visa for semester 2 if i come for semester 1 with short term visa ( would they use the short term visa for semester 1 as an excuse to reject my application for tier 4 for semester 2?)

Kind regardsss

sah10406
Diamond Member

Re: switch from short term visa into tier 4 visa

Post by sah10406 » Tue Jul 23, 2019 5:12 pm

areny wrote:
Tue Jul 23, 2019 11:47 am
my question is before I make a final decision I would like to know if there is any risk in applying for 4 tier visa during semester 1 , while I'm on short term visa
I assume you know that you can only apply for a Tier 4 visa in your home country (presumably France), not from within the UK.

I am a little surprised that the university would invite you to apply as a Short-Term Student for one semester when you intend to study in the UK for the whole academic year. But if they are happy to issue a letter inviting you to do that, and you will be leaving the UK at the end of your period of short-term study, then I guess it is fine.
I do not give immigration advice. I refer you to Immigration Rules, guidance, other online content and to your sponsor.

areny
Newly Registered
France

Re: switch from short term visa into tier 4 visa

Post by areny » Wed Jul 24, 2019 12:49 pm

yes, the university of NewCastle Told me to do first short term visa because there’s no choice because now it’s too late to take any exam , so they told me to take a short term visa to come only for one semester but it’s not what I want because of various reasons... so when I asked them to reapply for tier 4 visa (knowing that I should do that in France ) they told me you can try ! but the problem is that I’m not sure if I will be rejected or not because my university knows in advance that I’m coming for a full duration but when I will do my application online to apply for a visa they don’t know what is happening , they will think that am just coming for one semester because in the application there is a question ( until when you wish to stay in the UK ??) so when I write “full year duration “they will say that how come that I am applying for short term visa and I will stay more than that ...and if I do the opposite if I just write “one semester” and then reapply for tier 4 they may find it fishy... it’s a bit complicated so i’m hopeless thanks for giving me some advice