ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

EEA4 Application 3 months within planned Brexit

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

BMartin
Newly Registered
Ireland

EEA4 Application 3 months within planned Brexit

Post by BMartin » Sun Jul 28, 2019 11:26 pm

Hi, I have read many of the posts on the forum, as well as the guidance post by kamoe which was quite helpful (Thank you). I still have some questions that I am hoping to clarify. Apologies for the long post.

I am Irish and my wife is a visa national (South African), and we have been living in the UK (and exercising rights) since 12 November 2013. She recieved her eea2 residence documentation sticker in her passport on 04 July 2014. We were planning for her to make the PR EEA4 application to certify her right to permanent residence (which i understand was automatic as of 12 November 2018). If her PR application is approved and received I understand that this would mean she would be eligible to apply for Citizenship as of 12 November 2019, as PR status is backdated.

However if the UK leaves the EU on 31 October 2019, as is currently planned, are we correct in assuming PR received will no longer allow my wife to apply for citizenship via permanent residency held for 1 year? ie if this occurs, does this mean she would need to then apply for Settled Status, and then wait a year from when it is received to apply for citizenship?

Given the short times involved leading up to Brexit I am leaning towards the Settled Status application now and accepting a delay until next year August for her to apply for citizenship.

Lastly for the Settled Status application does the EEA2 residence documentation sticker in my wifes passport valid from 4th July 2014 to 04th July 2019, allow her to make the online application for Settled Status - it is unclear to me if this counts as one of the acceptable forms for online application? Should she have applied for a BRP when they were introduced in March 2015 - I was not following closely this change when it came through at the time.

Any advice would be much appreciated. :)

ryuzaki

Re: EEA4 Application 3 months within planned Brexit

Post by ryuzaki » Mon Jul 29, 2019 10:29 am

I'm no expert but I'd apply for settled status. It seems like the most certain, secure thing to do.

BMartin
Newly Registered
Ireland

Re: EEA4 Application 3 months within planned Brexit

Post by BMartin » Fri Aug 16, 2019 12:59 pm

@ ryuzaki , thanks for taking the time to reply. In the end we decided not to gamble with EEA PR and to just go the Settled Status route, which only took just over a week to do. All the best!