ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

UKM application experience and timeline

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

Faircape
Newly Registered
South Africa

Re: UKM application experience and timeline

Post by Faircape » Thu Jul 25, 2019 2:51 pm

[quote=jkproperties post_id=1806557 time=1563980539 user_id=215088]
My mother is UK Born.
I had all my original documents.
My process is not yet complete, I have only done Biometrics.

I expect you will have a problem with unabridged as Vault is required.

It might be worth involving an agent to assist you in getting the Vault copy.
Biometrics is normally after 4 weeks from what I have seen.

Many thanks,

I may try an Agent if my application fails (I see many others have got by using unabridged birth certificates.

Nevertheless after visiting DHA today I have a length list of e-mail contacts in Pretoria to pester to get my vault copy (once applied and on their system the application is blocked and the application cannot be cancelled and no other lesser documents can be acquired??

I also obtained the final info regarding retention of South African Citizenship , an application which I lodged , I don't know if it affects you

The DHA offices in Capetown requires the following (other offices in the country may vary in their requirement ?) :-
Original ID (+ copy)
Original Passport (+ copy)
Copy of Birth Cert
Completed form s :-
• Bi 529 –( downloadable from DHA website)
• DHA 1664 (supercedes Bi 1664) not on the website and available @ DHA office
Letter from the British authorities – must be stamped signed and dated from the British Consulate. (Available free of charge from the Consulate but a formal appointment was required to pick up the standard letter – defined as an informative note – “Letter confirming that the British Govt has no objection to dual nationality.”)
Advised that it would take 3 weeks to process a collection of this letter. - DHA Cost R300

This is indeed a long road to success !!

jellybean19

Post by jellybean19 » Fri Jul 26, 2019 11:56 am

bletchlypark wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 6:25 pm
Passport arrived yesterday, my journey is now complete. Just about 7 months total including time to get the passport. Thanks everyone who helped along the way and best of luck to those still in the application processes.

Eligibility Criteria: UKM
Nationality: United States
Applying from: Unites States
Method of application: Online with documents sent via DHL
Payment method: Credit card
Date of application: Dec 17, 2018
Date documents sent: Dec 19, 2018
Date of UKVI acknowledgement email: Dec 18, 2018
Date of receipt by UKVI: Dec 21, 2018
Date funds withdrawn: Dec 18, 2018
Date of e-mail requesting biometrics: Mar 1, 2019
Bio-metrics done: Mar 18, 2019
Date of approval: Apr 5, 2019
Date of invitation to ceremony: Jun 4, 2019
Date of ceremony: Jun 28, 2019
Date applied for passport: Jul 1, 2019 (Online)
Date documents received by HM Passport Office: Jul 8, 2019
Date Passport application approved: Jul 10, 2019
Date passport received: Jul 15, 2019
Just popped in to see how your's was going Bletchlypark, as you applied about 11 days before me. My journey was completed alot sooner though, but I'm thrilled to see you finally got to the finishing line too. Hope you enjoy travelling on your nw British passport too :)

Jeanelsie
Newly Registered
South Africa

Post by Jeanelsie » Sat Jul 27, 2019 10:42 am

Thank you Conky2a for your detailed reply. You really have been a source of encouragement during the last 2 or 3 weeks 🙏🏻

Belle1207
Newly Registered
South Africa

Post by Belle1207 » Sun Jul 28, 2019 7:39 pm

Apologies if this has been mentioned before, but I couldn't find the info on these pages. I (finally) submitted my UKM application on Thursday and sent my documents via courier on Friday. On the recommendation of a friend who was successful with his application earlier this year, I included a note which asked them to contact me when the documents were ready to be returned so I could arrange a courier, due to concerns with the SA postal service. I'm curious whether anyone else has tried this and been successful? I know I still have a very long wait, but I sent my original passport, as that's what was stipulated in the document checklist, so I'm feeling a bit anxious.

Ballet
South Africa

Post by Ballet » Sun Jul 28, 2019 7:57 pm

I did this and received an email on Friday asking me how I would like my documents returned. They also indicated that I could have them collected by a courier with instructions.
Belle1207 wrote:
Sun Jul 28, 2019 7:39 pm
Apologies if this has been mentioned before, but I couldn't find the info on these pages. I (finally) submitted my UKM application on Thursday and sent my documents via courier on Friday. On the recommendation of a friend who was successful with his application earlier this year, I included a note which asked them to contact me when the documents were ready to be returned so I could arrange a courier, due to concerns with the SA postal service. I'm curious whether anyone else has tried this and been successful? I know I still have a very long wait, but I sent my original passport, as that's what was stipulated in the document checklist, so I'm feeling a bit anxious.

Belle1207
Newly Registered
South Africa

Post by Belle1207 » Sun Jul 28, 2019 8:04 pm

Ballet wrote:
Sun Jul 28, 2019 7:57 pm
I did this and received an email on Friday asking me how I would like my documents returned. They also indicated that I could have them collected by a courier with instructions.
Belle1207 wrote:
Thank you, that's great news!

Jeanelsie
Newly Registered
South Africa

Post by Jeanelsie » Mon Jul 29, 2019 1:46 pm

So interesting reading about our various experiences.
I submitted my passport application today. The photos were the difficult part. I went to a photo shop and those photos were rejected! Eventually, one of the photos taken with my phone was accepted. The rest of the application was simple and straightforward.
And now back to the waiting game 😏

bletchlypark
United States of America

Post by bletchlypark » Mon Jul 29, 2019 5:31 pm

Belle1207 wrote:
Yes in my experience if you do this, they will email you when everything is complete and ask you to setup pickup with the courier of your choice.

Belle1207
Newly Registered
South Africa

Post by Belle1207 » Mon Jul 29, 2019 5:47 pm

bletchlypark wrote:
Mon Jul 29, 2019 5:31 pm
Belle1207 wrote:
Yes in my experience if you do this, they will email you when everything is complete and ask you to setup pickup with the courier of your choice.
Thanks! Feeling much less stressed about it, and I can see the docs were safely delivered there this morning, so now the waiting can begin 😊

bletchlypark
United States of America

Post by bletchlypark » Mon Jul 29, 2019 8:16 pm

Belle1207 wrote:
Mon Jul 29, 2019 5:47 pm
bletchlypark wrote:
Mon Jul 29, 2019 5:31 pm
Belle1207 wrote:
Thanks! Feeling much less stressed about it, and I can see the docs were safely delivered there this morning, so now the waiting can begin 😊
Assume 2-3 months for Biometrics and 1-2 months after that for approval. Good luck!

Belle1207
Newly Registered
South Africa

Post by Belle1207 » Tue Jul 30, 2019 9:13 am

Thanks!

Conky2a
Mood:

Post by Conky2a » Tue Jul 30, 2019 1:38 pm

Jeanelsie wrote:
Mon Jul 29, 2019 1:46 pm
So interesting reading about our various experiences.
I submitted my passport application today. The photos were the difficult part. I went to a photo shop and those photos were rejected! Eventually, one of the photos taken with my phone was accepted. The rest of the application was simple and straightforward.
And now back to the waiting game 😏
Hi Jeanelsie,

So my wife’s application was submitted and witnessed on 24 july, and i posted the required docs the next day 25th registered mail. The french post office tracking system confirmed delivery yesterday morning 29th, and HMPO have acknowledged receipt this afternoon 30th. God knows what they were doing to it up to now......next step approval..

jkproperties

Post by jkproperties » Tue Jul 30, 2019 4:02 pm

I meant use an agent to get your Vault copy.
What is important is that you have it on hand Incase the request it later on.
I have done my retention of citizenship.

Best of luck
Faircape wrote:
Thu Jul 25, 2019 2:51 pm
jkproperties wrote:
Wed Jul 24, 2019 3:02 pm
My mother is UK Born.

Many thanks,

I may try an Agent if my application fails (I see many others have got by using unabridged birth certificates.

Nevertheless after visiting DHA today I have a length list of e-mail contacts in Pretoria to pester to get my vault copy (once applied and on their system the application is blocked and the application cannot be cancelled and no other lesser documents can be acquired??

I also obtained the final info regarding retention of South African Citizenship , an application which I lodged , I don't know if it affects you

The DHA offices in Capetown requires the following (other offices in the country may vary in their requirement ?) :-
Original ID (+ copy)
Copy of Birth Cert
Letter from the British authorities – must be stamped signed and dated from the British Consulate. (Available free of charge from the Consulate but a formal appointment was required to pick up the standard letter – defined as an informative note – “Letter confirming that the British Govt has no objection to dual nationality.”)
Advised that it would take 3 weeks to process a collection of this letter. - DHA Cost R300

toetapper01
Newly Registered
Mood:

Post by toetapper01 » Tue Jul 30, 2019 4:44 pm

Hoping someone can help. Loads of different timeframes but seem to mostly coming from outside UK. Please respond if you can give me any indication on how long the 'PENDING' status will take.
Any timescales would be appreciated.

Thank you in advance

Nationality: New Zealand
Applying from: UK
Method of application: Online
Payment method: Credit card, paid £99.20GBP May 20, 2019
Date of application: May 20, 2019
Date of UKVI acknowledgement email: May 21, 2019
Bio-metrics done: July 03, 2019
Date of approval: PENDING (HAVEN'T HEARD ANYTHING. APPARENTLY THR SCANNED DOCS WERE FINE as I was told at biometrics)
Date of invitation to ceremony: PENDING
Date of ceremony: PENDING
Date applied for passport: PENDING
Date Passport application approved: PENDING
Date passport received: PENDING

Conky2a
Mood:

Post by Conky2a » Wed Jul 31, 2019 11:58 am

toetapper01 wrote:
Tue Jul 30, 2019 4:44 pm
Hoping someone can help. Loads of different timeframes but seem to mostly coming from outside UK. Please respond if you can give me any indication on how long the 'PENDING' status will take.

Thank you in advance

Date of approval: PENDING (HAVEN'T HEARD ANYTHING. APPARENTLY THR SCANNED DOCS WERE FINE as I was told at biometrics)
Jellybean who lives in the UK waited two months between biometrics and approval. Here in France it was about the same. It varies, so you will have to be patient. The wait for a ceremony invite can take up to 12 weeks, so you still have a way to go i’m afraid....

Ballet
South Africa

Post by Ballet » Wed Jul 31, 2019 3:28 pm

Approval!

Eligibility criteria: UKM (Romein)
Nationality: South African
Applying from: South Africa
Date of application: 8 March 2019
Payment method: Credit card (8 March 2019)
Date of acknowledgement: 11 March 2019
Documents sent by courier: 11 March 2019
Date of receipt by UKVI (DHL notified): 14 March 2019
Date of biometric appt invitation: 4 June 2019
Date of biometrics appt confirmation: 5 June 2019
Biometrics done: 6 June 2019
Application to retain SA citizenship: 14 June 2019
SA citizenship retention granted by DHA: 12 July 2019
Email from Nationality Courier Service: 26 July 2019
Date of UK citizenship approval: 31 July 2019
Date of ceremony:
Date applied for passport:
Passport Application received:
Passport Application Marked Dispatched:
Date passport received:

Ballet
South Africa

Post by Ballet » Wed Jul 31, 2019 3:31 pm

I submitted my unabridged (not vault) birth certificate and received approval today.

Now I begin the wait for the ceremony invitation.
jkproperties wrote:
Tue Jul 30, 2019 4:02 pm

Best of luck
Faircape wrote:
jkproperties wrote:
My mother is UK Born.

Many thanks,

Original ID (+ copy)
Copy of Birth Cert

toetapper01
Newly Registered
Mood:

Post by toetapper01 » Wed Jul 31, 2019 4:23 pm

Conky2a wrote:
Wed Jul 31, 2019 11:58 am
toetapper01 wrote:
Tue Jul 30, 2019 4:44 pm

Thank you in advance

Jellybean who lives in the UK waited two months between biometrics and approval. Here in France it was about the same. It varies, so you will have to be patient. The wait for a ceremony invite can take up to 12 weeks, so you still have a way to go i’m afraid....
Thanks for the response. Hoping I get it before Xmas. So slow

jkproperties

Post by jkproperties » Wed Jul 31, 2019 5:56 pm

Congratulations,

Yes there are applications that are approved with only the unabridged but this is not the norm, my advise was to get it Incase, the process is stressful enough, imagine getting a request for the Vault and then running around like a headless chicken trying to get it from HA before the time runs out.

There are people that have waited years for theirs.

I applied for my sons 10 weeks ago, still waiting.
Ballet wrote:
Wed Jul 31, 2019 3:31 pm
I submitted my unabridged (not vault) birth certificate and received approval today.

Now I begin the wait for the ceremony invitation.
jkproperties wrote:
Tue Jul 30, 2019 4:02 pm

Best of luck
Faircape wrote:
jkproperties wrote:
My mother is UK Born.

Many thanks,

Original ID (+ copy)
Copy of Birth Cert

Ballet
South Africa

Post by Ballet » Thu Aug 01, 2019 6:06 am

I understand. I applied for my vault copy in 2011; still waiting.

I believe there were records destroyed several years ago by a fire or flood or some such event. Mine may have been in that batch.

I think if I applied for the vault copy again I would get the one I submitted myself in January this year when I was asked to do a late registration of (my own!) birth.
jkproperties wrote:
Wed Jul 31, 2019 5:56 pm
Congratulations,

Yes there are applications that are approved with only the unabridged but this is not the norm, my advise was to get it Incase, the process is stressful enough, imagine getting a request for the Vault and then running around like a headless chicken trying to get it from HA before the time runs out.

There are people that have waited years for theirs.

I applied for my sons 10 weeks ago, still waiting.

Jeanelsie
Newly Registered
South Africa

Post by Jeanelsie » Fri Aug 02, 2019 3:23 pm

Hi Jeanelsie,

So my wife’s application was submitted and witnessed on 24 july, and i posted the required docs the next day 25th registered mail. The french post office tracking system confirmed delivery yesterday morning 29th, and HMPO have acknowledged receipt this afternoon 30th. God knows what they were doing to it up to now......next step approval..
[/quote]

It’s a long process. Patience is definitely required 😃 I sent off the paperwork for my passport yesterday (01/08) and am a bit worried about the letter from my employer. I work for my husband, so I don’t know if they’ll accept that. The family name is on the letterhead.
Conky2a - your wife is a week ahead of me, so i shall follow your progress with interest and compare timelines

Conky2a
Mood:

Post by Conky2a » Fri Aug 02, 2019 5:06 pm

The application has been in the queue since tuesday 30th without an update, which is now more than the usual 3 days. Hoping something is updated tomorrow as i believe they are open saturdays....

Faircape
Newly Registered
South Africa

Post by Faircape » Sat Aug 03, 2019 12:10 pm

Ballet wrote:
Wed Jul 31, 2019 3:28 pm
Approval!

Date of ceremony:
Date passport received:
Congratulations Ballet & jkproperties, seem like you are both closer to the end, both your inputs have been most helpful.
My position is more closely aligned to ballet insofar as I too have been trying to obtain vault copies of documents required , my first application was in 2010 – failed and I was later advised that if I used the correct “agent” at a considerable cost , I would have had the documents promptly (read a corrupt official would obtain the documents for a fee).
I resumed my UKVI document applications from DHA (Vault copies) in 2015 and have not had a single reply, I recently received a list of 10 senior supervisors in Pretoria whom I e-mailed with detailed requests for vault copies, 75% of the mails were returned as undeliverable, so the DHA is clearly dysfunctional when it comes to obtaining vault copies. (though paid agents claim to be able to obtain documents within 8 days at a considerable fee , again alluding to potential nefarious arrangements, which I would prefer not to be party to)
Perhaps I have just been unlucky or I am trying requisition grandparent documents to far back in history (1920) ??
One issue which you can perhaps comment on :-
• I sent all my documents (Apostilled copies of original handsigned documents in my position, not vault copies which are the same documents but with the with DHA stamp) via DHL courier to the Liverpool address given as per checklist, I have never had a n acknowledgement of receipt from UKVI (only the DHL tracking delivery confirmation) – has you experience been different ? (others on the site have received e-mail confirmations of receipt from UKVI.
• I have sent an e-mail to NationalitySupportTeamFMT@homeoffice.gov.uk requesting clarity of receipt of documents and status of my application as it is now 3 months old

Ballet
South Africa

Post by Ballet » Sat Aug 03, 2019 12:58 pm

I have only received two emails from the Home Office. The first was to let me know that I should enrol my biometrics and the second was to ask how I wanted my documents returned. I had included a covering letter indicating that I wanted them to contact me about returning my documents as I wanted them posted to my brother’s mother-in-law in the UK rather than back to SA. Because the UK postal service is so much faster than ours I knew that my application had been approved a lot sooner than I would have if posted back to me here in SA.

From what I have read on this site, most applicants receive only 2 emails; biometrics and the ceremony invitation.

The only acknowledgment that my documents had reached UKVI in Liverpool was the tracking from DHL.
Faircape wrote:
Sat Aug 03, 2019 12:10 pm
Ballet wrote:
Approval!

Date of ceremony:
Date passport received:
Congratulations Ballet & jkproperties, seem like you are both closer to the end, both your inputs have been most helpful.
My position is more closely aligned to ballet insofar as I too have been trying to obtain vault copies of documents required , my first application was in 2010 – failed and I was later advised that if I used the correct “agent” at a considerable cost , I would have had the documents promptly (read a corrupt official would obtain the documents for a fee).
I resumed my UKVI document applications from DHA (Vault copies) in 2015 and have not had a single reply, I recently received a list of 10 senior supervisors in Pretoria whom I e-mailed with detailed requests for vault copies, 75% of the mails were returned as undeliverable, so the DHA is clearly dysfunctional when it comes to obtaining vault copies. (though paid agents claim to be able to obtain documents within 8 days at a considerable fee , again alluding to potential nefarious arrangements, which I would prefer not to be party to)
Perhaps I have just been unlucky or I am trying requisition grandparent documents to far back in history (1920) ??
• I sent all my documents (Apostilled copies of original handsigned documents in my position, not vault copies which are the same documents but with the with DHA stamp) via DHL courier to the Liverpool address given as per checklist, I have never had a n acknowledgement of receipt from UKVI (only the DHL tracking delivery confirmation) – has you experience been different ? (others on the site have received e-mail confirmations of receipt from UKVI.
• I have sent an e-mail to NationalitySupportTeamFMT@homeoffice.gov.uk requesting clarity of receipt of documents and status of my application as it is now 3 months old

Rabbit123

Post by Rabbit123 » Sat Aug 03, 2019 5:10 pm

I’ve never had any confirmation from the HO. I actually asked them if my documents had arrived safely but they weren’t able to tell me due to high amount of applications

The only official email I got was when they sent me the request for biometric enrolment.
That’s currently my process step - waiting for my appointment at the consulate next week.
Faircape wrote:
Sat Aug 03, 2019 12:10 pm
Ballet wrote:
Approval!

Date of ceremony:
Date passport received: