ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Applying for Naturalization via ILR + Spouse of UK Citizen

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

mpitillo
Brazil

Applying for Naturalization via ILR + Spouse of UK Citizen

Post by mpitillo » Wed Jul 31, 2019 7:31 pm

Hello everyone,

I will soon be completing my 5th year in England under Tier 2 (Migrant) General Visa, when the company I work for will help me applying for ILR, via super priority service. If everything goes right, I will hopefully get my ILR before the end of the year.

I just happen to also be in a relationship with my British fiancee for the past 8 years and we were planning to get married very soon. That's when I've realized that I could go immediately from ILR to Citizen, as a spouse of a UK Citizen, without having to wait for another 12 months to apply.

My questions are related to the overall timeline and process of this...
1. From the moment that I got the ILR and open the application for Naturalization, how long it usually takes from there until I finally receive my British Passport?
2. Is there any "Super Priority" similar type of service like ILR offers?
3. Is this the total fee for this application (£1330) or are there another additional costs when requesting the Passport etc?

Thank you so much for your time.

secret.simon

Re: Applying for Naturalization via ILR + Spouse of UK Citizen

Post by secret.simon » Wed Jul 31, 2019 8:30 pm

mpitillo wrote:
Wed Jul 31, 2019 7:31 pm
No.
mpitillo wrote:
3. Is this the total fee for this application (£1330) or are there another additional costs when requesting the Passport etc?
The £1330 fee is for the naturalisation application itself. Once you are approved, you will need to contact the local council to either attend the public citizenship ceremony (the fees for which are a part of the £1330 you have already paid) or pay extra for a private citizenship ceremony. The fees for that will vary based on the council. Finally you will need to then apply for a passport, which will cost between about £70 and £100 based on choices such as the number of pages, usage of the Check and Send service, etc.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

mpitillo
Brazil

Post by mpitillo » Wed Jul 31, 2019 9:02 pm

secret.simon wrote:
Wed Jul 31, 2019 8:30 pm
mpitillo wrote:
No.
mpitillo wrote:
The £1330 fee is for the naturalisation application itself. Once you are approved, you will need to contact the local council to either attend the public citizenship ceremony (the fees for which are a part of the £1330 you have already paid) or pay extra for a private citizenship ceremony. The fees for that will vary based on the council. Finally you will need to then apply for a passport, which will cost between about £70 and £100 based on choices such as the number of pages, usage of the Check and Send service, etc.
Thank you so much for your time and the reply. :)

Do you know how long the whole process (from opening application to getting the passport) usually takes?

Thanks again!

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Wed Jul 31, 2019 10:08 pm

mpitillo wrote:
Wed Jul 31, 2019 9:02 pm
Do you know how long the whole process (from opening application to getting the passport) usually takes?
This is not one process, but three separate processes.
a) Naturalisation application - That can take from two months to a few months. Some people have reported waiting for more than 10 months. See Timeline.
b) Citizenship ceremony - Once (a) has been approved, the amount of time you need to wait for your citizenship ceremony is dependent on your local council. It should take place within 90 days of your approval letter.
c) Passport application - Once you have attended your citizenship ceremony and got the certificate, you will need to apply for the passport separately. You can likely get your first UK passport in a couple of weeks after the application. See Timeline.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

mpitillo
Brazil

Post by mpitillo » Thu Aug 01, 2019 5:15 am

secret.simon wrote:
Wed Jul 31, 2019 10:08 pm
mpitillo wrote:
Wed Jul 31, 2019 9:02 pm
This is not one process, but three separate processes.
a) Naturalisation application - That can take from two months to a few months. Some people have reported waiting for more than 10 months. See Timeline.
b) Citizenship ceremony - Once (a) has been approved, the amount of time you need to wait for your citizenship ceremony is dependent on your local council. It should take place within 90 days of your approval letter.
c) Passport application - Once you have attended your citizenship ceremony and got the certificate, you will need to apply for the passport separately. You can likely get your first UK passport in a couple of weeks after the application. See Timeline.
Thank you SO MUCH! This is all extremely helpful!