ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Can I use a former colleague as referee for Naturalisation application?

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

newmember113
Newly Registered

Can I use a former colleague as referee for Naturalisation application?

Post by newmember113 » Sat Aug 03, 2019 9:49 am

Hi All,

I hope you're all well.

I am currently in the process of applying for naturalisation and I read long ago on the Home Office website that we can't use work references as a referee, obviously because these referees must have known you personally.

Well I did meet lots of people throughout my career here in the UK and they've become very good friends, and I want to use 1 of them as my referee, the other 1 will be a friend from Uni.

But I have a slight confusion regarding putting my ex coworker forward as a referee, even though they were not my Line Manager or Supervisor, could the Home Office still object because I met her at work?

This is probably me being a bit too worried, but if anyone can confirm/clarify whether using an ex-coworker as a referee is acceptable then I would be eternally grateful to them!

Thanks you!

alterhase58
Germany

Re: Can I use a former colleague as referee for Naturalisation application?

Post by alterhase58 » Sat Aug 03, 2019 10:14 am

Ex co-workers are fine as long as they satisfy the criteria:

One referee should be a person of any nationality who has professional standing, such as
a minister of religion, civil servant, or a member of a professional body such as an accountant or
solicitor (who is not representing you with this application).

The other referee must normally be the
holder of a British citizen passport and either a professional person or over the age of 25.

Both should declare that:
• they are not a relative, solicitor or agent of the applicant
• they are not employed by the Home Office
• they have not been convicted of an imprisonable offence (unless that conviction can be
disregarded in line with the table shown in section 9 of Booklet AN)
• they have known the applicant personally for more than 3 years
• they are willing to give full details of their knowledge of the applicant
• they will advise the Home Office of any reason why the applicant should not be naturalised
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.