ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

English Language Test for Spouse visa

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé/e | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

sanjokgrg23
Newly Registered
Nepal

English Language Test for Spouse visa

Post by sanjokgrg23 » Mon Aug 05, 2019 12:41 pm

Hi All,

I am in a confusion. I would like to know what is the exact English language test to take for a spouse visa for my wife.
Another thing is that she is a qualified nurse in Nepal and when she comes into UK she will need to achieve quite a high score in IELTS Academic to be registered as a nurse, so I was wondering whether taking the IELTS Academic will be valid for spouse visa as I was trying to kill two birds with one stone and also logically it means that her english ability is actually better than the Life skills IELTS.

The UKVI website is really cluttered and can't seem to the find the correct link for official list of supporting documents required for spouse visa UK as of 1st August 2019.
Thanks

seagul
Diamond Member
Mood:

Re: English Language Test for Spouse visa

Post by seagul » Mon Aug 05, 2019 1:51 pm

IELTS ACADEMIC/GENERAL are not acceptable for spouse visa purpose although they are of higher level. For spouse visa A1/A2/B1 ielts life skills test from HO list is needed and HO excercise zero discretion if different test is being attached.
The opinion expressed as above is neither a professional advice nor contesting/competing to other member's opinion/advice.

AmazonianX
Respected Guru

Post by AmazonianX » Mon Aug 05, 2019 1:54 pm

Hi,
You are quite a logical and practical person from what you wrote. When dealing with HO, logic and practicality does not work. Just follow what is written or requested. Let her do the Life Skills at level A1 or A2 but NOT the Academic as it will not be valid if you are considering applying for Spouse Visa for her.
Or else you may end up not killing any bird and having to go back to gather stones afresh.

sanjokgrg23
Newly Registered
Nepal

Post by sanjokgrg23 » Mon Aug 05, 2019 2:27 pm

Thank you,
It does clear things a lot now. So I get it guess I have to do two different modes of IELTS exam,

IELTS Life Skills A1 for the spouse visa and
IELTS Academic for registering as a nurse for her career when she enters the UK.

Thank you for your helpful suggestion.

seagul
Diamond Member
Mood:

Post by seagul » Mon Aug 05, 2019 3:06 pm

She can sit for B1 ielts life skills test which will meet the requirement of A1 & A2 test in future without redoing these tests again even B1 test will be expired in 2 years time (if present rules regarding English test remains unchanged).
The opinion expressed as above is neither a professional advice nor contesting/competing to other member's opinion/advice.

Casa

Post by Casa » Mon Aug 05, 2019 3:35 pm

AmazonianX wrote:
Mon Aug 05, 2019 1:54 pm
Hi,
You are quite a logical and practical person from what you wrote. When dealing with HO, logic and practicality does not work. Just follow what is written or requested. Let her do the Life Skills at level A1 or A2 but NOT the Academic as it will not be valid if you are considering applying for Spouse Visa for her.
Or else you may end up not killing any bird and having to go back to gather stones afresh.
The A2 level test isn't available for applications submitted outside of the UK. It's A1 or B1 :idea:
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

AmazonianX
Respected Guru

Post by AmazonianX » Mon Aug 05, 2019 4:29 pm

Casa wrote:
Mon Aug 05, 2019 3:35 pm
AmazonianX wrote:
Mon Aug 05, 2019 1:54 pm
Hi,
The A2 level test isn't available for applications submitted outside of the UK. It's A1 or B1 :idea:
Hello Casa,

Correction taken and well noted. I am better informed. Thanks.

seagul
Diamond Member
Mood:

Post by seagul » Mon Aug 05, 2019 6:21 pm

I have just rememorized something from which you can kill two birds with one stone. If your partner has advance English level as you claiming to be then why not she chooses IELTS for UKVI C1 where all 4 parts need to have band score of 7.0 or IELTS for UKVI C2 where that level reaches to 8.5. As long as the test is on UKVI list containing UKVI unique reference number it will be accepted for spouse visa where its two components reading & writing will be ignore. Also usually universities accept 7.0 band in IELTS.

https://www.ielts.org/what-is-ielts/iel ... plications

hhsmp

Post by hhsmp » Tue Aug 06, 2019 4:45 pm

Quite a useful disccussion. I have a relevant question for this new English Language requirement. My wife never had to go ITELTS since she completed her half bachelors in UK and also her Post Grad later. Does that mean she is exempt form this new requirement altogether?
Rgds,
-hhsmp

seagul
Diamond Member
Mood:

Post by seagul » Tue Aug 06, 2019 5:06 pm

hhsmp wrote:
Tue Aug 06, 2019 4:45 pm
Quite a useful disccussion. I have a relevant question for this new English Language requirement. My wife never had to go ITELTS since she completed her half bachelors in UK and also her Post Grad later. Does that mean she is exempt form this new requirement altogether?
For exemption She need at least bachelor full degree otherwise see above discussion.

sanjokgrg23
Newly Registered
Nepal

Post by sanjokgrg23 » Wed Aug 07, 2019 9:39 am

seagul wrote:
Mon Aug 05, 2019 6:21 pm
I have just rememorized something from which you can kill two birds with one stone. If your partner has advance English level as you claiming to be then why not she chooses IELTS for UKVI C1 where all 4 parts need to have band score of 7.0 or IELTS for UKVI C2 where that level reaches to 8.5. As long as the test is on UKVI list containing UKVI unique reference number it will be accepted for spouse visa where its two components reading & writing will be ignore. Also usually universities accept 7.0 band in IELTS.

Thank you sir,

Could you point to the right documentation that says the C1 level is accepted for spouse visa for my wife. All I could find so far is the A1 and A2 when attempting for an extension.

Thank you all for your valuable information.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Wed Aug 07, 2019 9:50 am

Minimum A2 is required. Anything higher than this, ie B1 or C1 is also accepted as it is higher than A2!
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

seagul
Diamond Member
Mood:

Post by seagul » Wed Aug 07, 2019 10:10 am

sanjokgrg23 wrote:
Wed Aug 07, 2019 9:39 am
seagul wrote:
Mon Aug 05, 2019 6:21 pm

Thank you sir,

Could you point to the right documentation that says the C1 level is accepted for spouse visa for my wife. All I could find so far is the A1 and A2 when attempting for an extension.

Thank you all for your valuable information.
Click on the link to read that ielts for ukvi is acceptable even of higher level.