ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Children born in USA to British Citizen (father)

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

trevornc
Newly Registered

Children born in USA to British Citizen (father)

Post by trevornc » Tue Aug 06, 2019 1:58 am

Hi,

I have gone through the gov.uk website and I believe that my daughter and sons are British by descent.

Assuming that they are British by descent, my real question is should I do anything now that would make it easier for them should they want to live or work in the UK in the future, or perhaps become citizens?

I am a British Citizen born in the UK and both my parents were born in the UK. My wife is American.

You’re automatically a British citizen if you were born outside the UK and all of the following apply:

*you were born between 1 January 1983 and 30 June 2006 (yes)
*your mother or father was a British citizen when you were born (they must have been married if your father had British citizenship but your mother did not) (yes)
*your British parent could pass on their citizenship to you (yes)

Your British parent could pass on their citizenship to you if they were one of the following:

born or adopted in the UK (yes)

I see that I can request a letter confirming citizenship, however it does not seem to be a legally binding document and therefore not much use.

My thinking is that they are British by descent and that will be the case no matter what I do now.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Children born in USA to British Citizen (father)

Post by CR001 » Tue Aug 06, 2019 5:11 am

British by descent and can apply for passports directly.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

trevornc
Newly Registered

Post by trevornc » Tue Aug 06, 2019 4:49 pm

Thank you so much for the quick response.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Tue Aug 06, 2019 5:09 pm

Bear in mind that if your children have their future children abroad, they won't be British.

If they have their future children in the UK, their children will be British otherwise than by descent.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.