ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

USA girlfriend coming to Ireland for 2 months

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

davedon
Newly Registered
Ireland

USA girlfriend coming to Ireland for 2 months

Post by davedon » Thu Aug 08, 2019 3:48 pm

Hi,

I'm Irish and my USA girlfriend is planning on coming over to me for 2 months this fall...

She got denied entry last November due to a misunderstanding but has since come to Ireland for 2 trips in April (3 weeks) and June (2 weeks).

She has a remote job with a US-based company, a permanent address and reasons to return to the USA, I'll be going over to the USA to her in December also on a vacation.

We know she is entitled to come to Ireland as a tourist for up to 90 days and we have messaged the US embassy for any advice but were told it depends on each separate trip through immigration.

Does anyone have any advice on how to make it a smoother entry, should we have letters of proof or any other details apart from job, address info and proof she has things to return to the USA for?

Many Thanks in advance!

DanaMarie
Ireland

Re: USA girlfriend coming to Ireland for 2 months

Post by DanaMarie » Fri Aug 09, 2019 6:06 am

Two options really. She could apply for an actual tourist visa, even though as US citizens we are allowed to visit visa free, having a tourist visa should bypass any issues upon arrival and is often a recommended option with a previous entry refusal. If you don't want to go that route then she should come prepared with evidence that she has strong ties to the US, especially since she is visiting for so long - letter from employer, proof of current housing (lease, mortgage statement, etc), financial evidence that she can afford her visit to see you, return flight itinerary, letter of invitation from you outlining the trip and her dates of stay. You may want to check into the specifics of her being actually able to work at her US job remotely while she is in Ireland on holiday, that is often not allowed on a tourist visit in many countries so she should be prepared to answer questions about her employment (eg "how can you afford to take 2 months off work?" is one I've been asked). Better to be safe than sorry, she may not be questioned at all since she's had two other visits since her refusal.