ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Muslim marriage certificate

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé/e | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

joeano353
BANNED
Tuvalu

Muslim marriage certificate

Post by joeano353 » Fri Aug 09, 2019 3:50 pm

Can someone please confirm if an Islamic marriage with a certificate issued by a mosque valid whilst applying for a spouse visa in Mumbai India? If so does it have to be authenticated by any Govt department in Mumbai? I was told that religious marriages are not valid.

Archer1
Member of Standing
Mood:
Pakistan

Re: Muslim marriage certificate

Post by Archer1 » Fri Aug 09, 2019 5:19 pm

joeano353 wrote:
Fri Aug 09, 2019 3:50 pm
Can someone please confirm if an Islamic marriage with a certificate issued by a mosque valid whilst applying for a spouse visa in Mumbai India? If so does it have to be authenticated by any Govt department in Mumbai? I was told that religious marriages are not valid.
Its valid but you have to get it translated in English and attested from External Affairs Ministry India.
__A

Casa

Post by Casa » Fri Aug 09, 2019 5:27 pm

Whoever advised you on the validity of a marriage certificate issued in India may be confusing this with an Islamic marriage performed in the UK, which won't be recognised under British law. :idea:
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

Archer1
Member of Standing
Mood:
Pakistan

Post by Archer1 » Fri Aug 09, 2019 5:40 pm

Casa wrote:
Fri Aug 09, 2019 5:27 pm
Whoever advised you on the validity of a marriage certificate issued in India may be confusing this with an Islamic marriage performed in the UK, which won't be recognised under British law. :idea:
I presume OP is asking in terms of applying spouse visa from India and got married there.
__A

seagul
Diamond Member
Mood:

Post by seagul » Fri Aug 09, 2019 6:14 pm

joeano353 wrote:
Fri Aug 09, 2019 3:50 pm
It will be accepted because its performed not in UK but in India where its a legal marriage. Yes you need to register it with appropriate department in India such as Union council/court etc and also need to get it translated into English.
The opinion expressed as above is neither a professional advice nor contesting/competing to other member's opinion/advice.

Casa

Post by Casa » Fri Aug 09, 2019 6:16 pm

Archer1 wrote:
Fri Aug 09, 2019 5:40 pm
Casa wrote:
I presume OP is asking in terms of applying spouse visa from India and got married there.
Probably. Your advice in respect of marrying in India is correct. I was highlighting where the confusion regarding validity may have come from.
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

Archer1
Member of Standing
Mood:
Pakistan

Post by Archer1 » Fri Aug 09, 2019 6:41 pm

Casa wrote:
Fri Aug 09, 2019 6:16 pm
Archer1 wrote:
Fri Aug 09, 2019 5:40 pm
Casa wrote:
Probably. Your advice in respect of marrying in India is correct. I was highlighting where the confusion regarding validity may have come from.
Agreed
__A

joeano353
BANNED
Tuvalu

Post by joeano353 » Sat Aug 10, 2019 11:39 am

Thanks Archer 1 and Casa!!!!