ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

EU Settlement Scheme vs EU residence ?

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

dzevel5
Mood:
Poland

EU Settlement Scheme vs EU residence ?

Post by dzevel5 » Mon Aug 12, 2019 10:49 am

I'm aware that the UK Settlement scheme will replace in future the Permanent residence current scheme.
my question is, what path should I choose in my case?

I live in the UK for 5 years married to British wife. as far as I'm aware, once I have the permanent residence I can immediately apply for citizenship since my wife is British.
as today we have two paths, can someone please help me to choose the correct or the easy path so I can apply for citizenship?
settlement vs permanent residence(?)

* I already applied in the past and got my pre-settlement document approved.

Thanks in advance.

Blondie_33
Newly Registered
Mood:
Sweden

Re: EU Settlement Scheme vs EU residence ?

Post by Blondie_33 » Mon Aug 12, 2019 5:27 pm

Permanent residence card will make the process easier because less documents will be needed, especially when the spouse is British.

Blacksea28
Turkey

Post by Blacksea28 » Mon Aug 12, 2019 9:11 pm

dzevel5 wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 10:49 am
I'm aware that the UK Settlement scheme will replace in future the Permanent residence current scheme.
my question is, what path should I choose in my case?

I live in the UK for 5 years married to British wife. as far as I'm aware, once I have the permanent residence I can immediately apply for citizenship since my wife is British.
as today we have two paths, can someone please help me to choose the correct or the easy path so I can apply for citizenship?
settlement vs permanent residence(?)

* I already applied in the past and got my pre-settlement document approved.

Thanks in advance.
I heard that permanent residence is very expensive and in both situation(Settlement or permanent residence) you will need to wait one more additional year to apply British citizenship. So it is no sense to generate extra cost, however you are Polish-EEA citizen, you can simply apply to settlement and wait one year more and then apply for British citizenship. I think having british spouse has no impact to your situation. You already passed temporary residency steps

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Mon Aug 12, 2019 9:16 pm

Blacksea28 wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 9:11 pm
I heard that permanent residence is very expensive and in both situation(Settlement or permanent residence) you will need to wait one more additional year to apply British citizenship. So it is no sense to generate extra cost, however you are Polish-EEA citizen, you can simply apply to settlement and wait one year more and then apply for British citizenship. I think having british spouse has no impact to your situation. You already passed temporary residency steps
You are mistaken and inaccurate in what you have stated. Settled status under appendix EU is free. PR under the rear EU rules is £65, so not "very expensive" compared to ILR under the UK visas immigration rules which costs £2389 each.

Being married to a British citizen means there is NO requirement to wait 12 months with settled status or pr to be able to apply for citizenship.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

Blacksea28
Turkey

Post by Blacksea28 » Mon Aug 12, 2019 9:23 pm

CR001 wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 9:16 pm
Blacksea28 wrote:
You are mistaken and inaccurate in what you have stated. Settled status under appendix EU is free. PR under the rear EU rules is £65, so not "very expensive" compared to ILR under the UK visas immigration rules which costs £2389 each.

Being married to a British citizen means there is NO requirement to wait 12 months with settled status or pr to be able to apply for citizenship.
I see, though ILR and PR is the same.
What is the difference to go through settlement or PR then? Any advantage to pay 65 and get PR instead of Settlement while going to apply citizenship?

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Tue Aug 13, 2019 5:10 am

Blacksea28 wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 9:23 pm
CR001 wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 9:16 pm
Blacksea28 wrote:

I see, though ILR and PR is the same.
What is the difference to go through settlement or PR then? Any advantage to pay 65 and get PR instead of Settlement while going to apply citizenship?
No difference for citizenship if married to a British citizen.

PR can however be backdated if it was attained with an earlier 5 year period of exercising treaty rights. Settled status is not.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

dzevel5
Mood:
Poland

Post by dzevel5 » Wed Aug 14, 2019 3:04 pm

PR can however be backdated if it was attained with an earlier 5 year period of exercising treaty rights. Settled status is not.
If I understand you correctly, this means that PR make it easier for them and less difficult for me to proof living in the UK?