ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

MN1 Registration of a child as a British citizen and the new EU Settled Scheme

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

tezeer
Newly Registered
Poland

MN1 Registration of a child as a British citizen and the new EU Settled Scheme

Post by tezeer » Sat Jan 26, 2019 9:49 pm

Hi
I'm an EU citizen living in UK for 5 years. I a couple of days I will be able to apply for settled status under the new EU Settlement Scheme. I have a 3yo child that was born here in UK and was planning to apply for registration of her as a British Citizen under Section 1(3).

As I understand by getting settled status I'm being granted Indefinite Leave to Remain. Is it the same ILR that people from non-EU countries get? Am I thinking correctly that being settled EU Settled Scheme allows me to apply for my daughter's citizenship just because it's equal to ILR or don't have to prove in any other way that I was exercising EU rights/applying for permanent residence?

Regards,

alterhase58
Germany

Re: MN1 Registration of a child as a British citizen and the new EU Settled Scheme

Post by alterhase58 » Sat Jan 26, 2019 10:06 pm

It is a form of ILR, but specifically for EU citizens post Brexit. Non-EU citizens always apply fior ILR under UK legislation. Not sure why you are asking about this distinction. EU citizens have always been able to register children using MN1 if applicable.
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.

secret.simon

Re: MN1 Registration of a child as a British citizen and the new EU Settled Scheme

Post by secret.simon » Sat Jan 26, 2019 10:15 pm

The requirement for registration under Section 1(3) is that the child be born in the UK and that the parent have settled status. Both ILR (whether EU or non-EU) and PR are settled status for the purposes of MN1 registration. Once you get your settled status, your child will be entitled to be registered as a British citizen.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

Obie
Ireland

Post by Obie » Sun Jan 27, 2019 11:35 pm

Well the settled status has not impact on your child's registration, if you have evidence showing that you have resided in the UK for a period of 5 years in accordance with the regulations, then you can register your child, even without their settled status document.
Smooth seas do not make skilful sailors

Mackanzie42
Newly Registered

Post by Mackanzie42 » Tue Mar 05, 2019 10:09 am

Hello teezer,did you manage to fill the application for your child born in UK? Did you apply on the basis of your settle status and provide just the email that came or by old eea route provided 5 years work history for you with evidence required. Thank you
I am in the same boat .I do not hold PR just been grated settle status under new scheme.

tezeer
Newly Registered
Poland

Post by tezeer » Mon Mar 25, 2019 3:21 pm

Hi,
I didn't apply yet. I will be doing it in the next couple of days.

I see that guidance regarding filling in MN1 form has been updated and now it explicitly refers to the new EU Settled Scheme. It says:
The child of an EEA national who did not become a British citizen at birth may now have an entitlement to be registered as a British citizen under section 1(3), if the parent has since become “settled” here. The parent will have become “settled” if:
• he or she has been granted indefinite leave in the United Kingdom (this includes ILR granted under the EU Settlement Scheme), or
• he or she has been exercising EEA free movement rights in the United Kingdom for a continuous period of 5 years ending on or after 30 April 2006.
See here: https://assets.publishing.service.gov.u ... de_MN1.pdf

ppregs
Newly Registered
Spain

Post by ppregs » Sun Aug 11, 2019 2:05 pm

Hi.
Did anyone apply?
I have also been granted settled status with the new scheme, but with that scheme there is no document to prove it.
Any guidance from someone that had successfully applied?

Anniest
Newly Registered

Post by Anniest » Wed Aug 14, 2019 1:23 pm

I’m on the same boat. Please if anyone can share how did they prove that they’re settled in UK that would be very helpful. Thanks.

Mackanzie42
Newly Registered

Post by Mackanzie42 » Fri Oct 11, 2019 11:16 am

Hello,I had apply and we register our daughter after 5 moth and a half(waiting time) . Both parents Eu citizens and apply with settle status. We sent the emails that confirms the settled status ,copy of our passports ,settle status page with the foto for both parents ,child passport,child birth certificate,marriage certificate,some bills to show the address and a cover letter. Hope that helps.Stela

MALCOM2

Post by MALCOM2 » Wed Nov 06, 2019 11:00 pm

I did get mine , MN1 with the eu settlement in 9 weeks. U will get it soon