ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Can you work remotely abroad without an employment permit?

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

joneswings
Newly Registered
Ireland

Can you work remotely abroad without an employment permit?

Post by joneswings » Fri Aug 09, 2019 8:10 pm

I'm an American in Ireland on a Working Holiday Authorisation. I just learned I can't apply for the critical skills while I have my WHA, and need to be out of the state while this is processing.

My job allows for remote work. Would I be allowed to work remotely in the US while the application is processing? It's a US company with a presence in Ireland, in case that matters.

Alixlboy
Member of Standing
Ireland

Re: Can you work remotely abroad without an employment permit?

Post by Alixlboy » Sun Aug 11, 2019 12:20 pm

I dont see a problem.
I work for a multinational and we have employees who get paid from ireland but they are in UAE and other countries.
You dont even need to bring this to immigration s attention as far as I think.
Simply fulfil the requirements and submit your application for the permit.

fuzzbizz
United States of America

Post by fuzzbizz » Wed Aug 14, 2019 1:45 pm

Also from the states here - For what it's worth I had to leave the country for a month or two while stuff was processed.

I can't imagine a US citizen working for a US company while physically present in the US would cause any sort of trouble, but as always talk to an immigration solicitor if you want to be sure.

littlerr
Respected Guru
China

Post by littlerr » Wed Aug 14, 2019 3:42 pm

You cannot work (even remotely) if you are on Irish payroll and paying Irish taxes. However, if you work in the same company, it's very easy to "suspend" you in Ireland and give you a new position in the US. This means that you will work as a US employee (paying US taxes) instead of an Irish company's employee. This is one thing I specifically checked with a senior officer in GNIB in Burgh Quay.

Having said that, nobody is going to know this. I just don't like risking my own future for just a few red tapes. If you want to apply for naturalisation a few years later, someone is going to pull up in immigration history and tax history, and they may adversely affect your application. I don't know if this would be something that they check though.