ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Help Needed

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé/e | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

mmicky5050

Help Needed

Post by mmicky5050 » Fri Aug 16, 2019 9:40 pm

This forum has been a lifeline for me over the years and I really appreciate it.

I have been here for two years on Tier2 and intending to marry my long term partner who is a British citizen and then convert to FLR (M) in the Uk. Can someone please help me with the procedure?

1. Do I need to inform the Home Office before marriage? I remember reading somewhere that Home Offices permission is needed before marrying a British citizen.

2. I have been told the wait times in the registry office can be 3 months for foreign nationals. Is this true? Or does this vary from council to council?

3. Do we need to submit chat messages, photos etc ? Or are these needed for the extension 2.5 years later

Thanks much

seagul
Diamond Member
Mood:

Re: Help Needed

Post by seagul » Fri Aug 16, 2019 9:43 pm

1+2. https://www.gov.uk/get-married-in-england-or-wales

3.No because you both are in UK
The opinion expressed as above is neither a professional advice nor contesting/competing to other member's opinion/advice.

Casa

Post by Casa » Fri Aug 16, 2019 9:52 pm

mmicky5050 wrote:
Fri Aug 16, 2019 9:40 pm
This forum has been a lifeline for me over the years and I really appreciate it.

I have been here for two years on Tier2 and intending to marry my long term partner who is a British citizen and then convert to FLR (M) in the Uk. Can someone please help me with the procedure?

1. Do I need to inform the Home Office before marriage? I remember reading somewhere that Home Offices permission is needed before marrying a British citizen. You will have to give notice to marry at a Home Office designated Registry Office. The Registrar is then legally bound to notify the HO who can then extend the notification time from 28 to 70 days in order to interview you both separately, before the marriage can take place, should they choose to do so.

2. I have been told the wait times in the registry office can be 3 months for foreign nationals. Is this true? Or does this vary from council to council? See my comments above.

3. Do we need to submit chat messages, photos etc ? Or are these needed for the extension 2.5 years later . Not required, but you will need to submit evidence of a genuine relationship when you submit the FLR(M) application. This would include documented proof of joint address.

Thanks much
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

seagul
Diamond Member
Mood:

Post by seagul » Sat Aug 17, 2019 4:18 am

I am sure that you/your partner must be earning and are aware about the financial requirement of £18600 for spouse visa. In addition of it you should have uncrowded accommodation where you both can live and also need to pass A1 IELTS life skills test. Also be known that even if you are planning to marry your British national partner but you are not obliged to convert your tier 2 visa into spouse visa unless you are happier in doing so which will reset your ILR clock to zero.
The opinion expressed as above is neither a professional advice nor contesting/competing to other member's opinion/advice.

mmicky5050

Post by mmicky5050 » Sat Aug 17, 2019 11:10 am

Dear everyone

Thank you so much for the replies. Really appreciate it.

1. Regarding the A1 Ielts Life skills test, can I substitute a UK masters to demonstrate English language skills? They were ok with that when I applied for my Tier 2 General

2. Regarding notice of intent, can we give the notice of intent to our local council registry office but marry elsewhere in the country? Has anyone had experience with this part? It says the wait time for approval can be as long as 71 days.

Thanks
Regards

Casa

Post by Casa » Sat Aug 17, 2019 11:16 am

mmicky5050 wrote:
Sat Aug 17, 2019 11:10 am
Dear everyone

1. Regarding the A1 Ielts Life skills test, can I substitute a UK masters to demonstrate English language skills? They were ok with that when I applied for my Tier 2 General. Yes.

2. Regarding notice of intent, can we give the notice of intent to our local council registry office but marry elsewhere in the country? Has anyone had experience with this part? It says the wait time for approval can be as long as 71 days. You are required to marry in the Registry Office where you have given notice. In any event, changing location won't enable a quicker ceremony. However, not all marriages are extended to a 70 day waiting period.

Thanks
Regards
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

KristianDLloyd
Mood:
Wales

Post by KristianDLloyd » Sat Aug 17, 2019 11:48 am

Casa wrote:
Sat Aug 17, 2019 11:16 am
mmicky5050 wrote:
Dear everyone

1. Regarding the A1 Ielts Life skills test, can I substitute a UK masters to demonstrate English language skills? They were ok with that when I applied for my Tier 2 General. Yes.

2. Regarding notice of intent, can we give the notice of intent to our local council registry office but marry elsewhere in the country? Has anyone had experience with this part? It says the wait time for approval can be as long as 71 days. You are required to marry in the Registry Office where you have given notice. In any event, changing location won't enable a quicker ceremony. However, not all marriages are extended to a 70 day waiting period.

Thanks
Regards
Regarding notice, my Registrar advised that you must give notice at your local office (or DRO in our case), even if you’re marrying elsewhere.

Are there differing rules for those under immigration control?

Application Type: Settlement, Fiancé
Application Date: 26 June 2019
Decision Date: 29 August 2019
Decision: Granted

Application Type: FLR(M)
Application Date: 23 October 2019
Decision Date: 28 October 2019

Casa

Post by Casa » Sat Aug 17, 2019 11:54 am

KristianDLloyd wrote:
Sat Aug 17, 2019 11:48 am
Casa wrote:
mmicky5050 wrote:
Dear everyone

Thanks
Regards
Regarding notice, my Registrar advised that you must give notice at your local office (or DRO in our case), even if you’re marrying elsewhere.

Anyone wishing to marry who is under immigration control, must give notice to marry with a Home Office designated Registry Office. I believe the OP's intention is to avoid the possibility of the notification period being extended to 70 days by marrying at an alternative location. :idea:
(Casa, not CR001)

KristianDLloyd
Mood:
Wales

Post by KristianDLloyd » Sat Aug 17, 2019 12:03 pm

Casa wrote:
Sat Aug 17, 2019 11:54 am
KristianDLloyd wrote:
Sat Aug 17, 2019 11:48 am
Casa wrote:
mmicky5050 wrote:
Dear everyone

Thanks
Regards

Anyone wishing to marry who is under immigration control, must give notice to marry with a Home Office designated Registry Office. I believe the OP's intention is to avoid the possibility of the notification period being extended to 70 days by marrying at an alternative location. :idea:
So to clarify, you can give notice at a DRO to marry at another registry office? You are not required to marry at the DRO where you have given notice?

Application Type: Settlement, Fiancé
Application Date: 26 June 2019
Decision Date: 29 August 2019

Application Type: FLR(M)
Application Date: 23 October 2019
Decision Date: 28 October 2019

mmicky5050

Post by mmicky5050 » Sat Aug 17, 2019 12:17 pm

Thanks again for all the replies.

The situation is that we live together in Westminister Council. She is from Yorkshire, lives In London and wants to have the ceremony up north with her family. So the question is if we give the notice of intent at our local office in London, can we still have the ceremony in Yorkshire?

Thanks

Casa

Post by Casa » Sat Aug 17, 2019 12:21 pm

mmicky5050 wrote:
Sat Aug 17, 2019 12:17 pm
Thanks again for all the replies.

The situation is that we live together in Westminister Council. She is from Yorkshire, lives In London and wants to have the ceremony up north with her family. So the question is if we give the notice of intent at our local office in London, can we still have the ceremony in Yorkshire?

Thanks
This is something you should clarify with the Registrar when you give notice to marry as to whether when permission has been granted, you are required to marry in the Home Office designated Registry Office.
(Casa, not CR001)