ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Visiting home country after naturalisation

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

JennyDF
Newly Registered
Syria

Visiting home country after naturalisation

Post by JennyDF » Mon Aug 19, 2019 2:25 pm

Hi I was granted asylum in 2012 and now I'm a British citizen , my home country is Syria and my elderly parents lives there as they refused to flee when i did because of the situation being extremely dangerous at the time, now it's much less dangerous to travel there and I need to travel regularly to care for my parents and could be spending most of my time in Syria if they needed more care as they get older
I want to know if there is any restrictions on me traveling to Syria
Thank you

zimba
Mood:

Re: Visiting home country after naturalisation

Post by zimba » Mon Aug 19, 2019 3:03 pm

There may be a risk. This is at the discretion of HO

british-citizenship/british-citizenship ... 83857.html
Advice is given based on my personal research and experience only. Do NOT contact me via private message for immigration advice

JennyDF
Newly Registered
Syria

Post by JennyDF » Mon Aug 19, 2019 3:44 pm

Thank you for replying
I understand that HO can revoke citizenship if it was claimed based on fraud but in my case all my claims that got me my asylum was genuine at the time and I haven't been been to Syria once in the past 8 years, now the situation is different and I no longer fear for my life being there as there is no was in Damascus where I intend to visit
So on what basis can HO question my visit as a British citizen?
Many thanks

zimba
Mood:

Post by zimba » Tue Aug 20, 2019 12:09 am

As I said this is at the discretion of HO. If the situation has changed then you will be fine however I have to remind you that traveling to Syria could get you in trouble on your return. UK authorities may detain or question you for obvious reasons. As you are now a British citizen you could potentially get in trouble in Syria too. Travelling to Syria at the moment is a very risky business with lots of unintended consequences.
Advice is given based on my personal research and experience only. Do NOT contact me via private message for immigration advice

alterhase58
Germany

Post by alterhase58 » Tue Aug 20, 2019 8:11 am

It should also be noted that normally there won't be any support for dual nationality British citizens when they are in their country of origin:
https://assets.publishing.service.gov.u ... 606-14.pdf
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.

joeano353
BANNED
Tuvalu

Post by joeano353 » Tue Aug 20, 2019 10:01 am

You can only be advised about the possibilities. None here purport to be experts or work for HO or Border Agency. You have to decide on your own. By persistently questioning, you are asking for guarantees which nobody can give you. You are informed about the dangers by Zimba and you decide.

JennyDF
Newly Registered
Syria

Post by JennyDF » Tue Aug 20, 2019 2:02 pm

Not asking for guarantees I'm fully aware it's not the home office website
The answer I was given doesn't apply as I have never lied to the HO about anything so there is no fraud so I'm asking for an answer that is relevant to my situation that's all
Unless you are gonna give an answer tailored to my senario where I feel safer now to travel back because it's now been 7 years since my claim that I wasn't safe living in Damascus and the fact that I'm the only child of my elderly parents and there only carer.. unless you gonna answer me about that please don't waste your time

JennyDF
Newly Registered
Syria

Post by JennyDF » Tue Aug 20, 2019 2:10 pm

Zimba wrote:
Tue Aug 20, 2019 12:09 am
As I said this is at the discretion of HO. If the situation has changed then you will be fine however I have to remind you that traveling to Syria could get you in trouble on your return. UK authorities may detain or question you for obvious reasons. As you are now a British citizen you could potentially get in trouble in Syria too. Travelling to Syria at the moment is a very risky business with lots of unintended consequences.
Thanks again
I don't mind being questioned, my question is once they hear my reasons ( situation has charged in 7 years and I'm the only carer to 2 parents in there 80s) do you think they would take any further action?
Thank you

zimba
Mood:

Post by zimba » Tue Aug 20, 2019 3:23 pm

I cannot tell you what to expect as I have no idea

JennyDF
Newly Registered
Syria

Post by JennyDF » Tue Aug 20, 2019 3:46 pm

Zimba wrote:
Tue Aug 20, 2019 3:23 pm
Thank you

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Tue Aug 20, 2019 3:49 pm

JennyDF wrote:
Tue Aug 20, 2019 3:46 pm
Zimba wrote:
Tue Aug 20, 2019 3:23 pm
Thank you
It is also very important to note that if you are in Syria, and something happens to you, you won't get British Embassy/Consular assistance or help as you will be in a country of which you are a citizen, ie Syrian citizen.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

London22
Member of Standing

Post by London22 » Wed Aug 21, 2019 11:56 am

Hello Dear
Most ex refugees travel to home country once they get british citizenship.You should travel and see your parents.You havent cheated home office as you were a genuine refugee .I dont see any problem for you.
Dont worry about scaremongers .You are a british citizen and no more a refugee so can travel anywhere same like a british.This makes sense.Home office knows this very well but they dont do anything as they know the person is british and going home country with his own will means the person feels safe .If your country's situation is changed /improved then it is a good reason to travel back home.You cant simply live all life like a refugee when you are not a refugee anymore refugee laws dont apply on you.Goodluck.Please share your stories after.

JennyDF
Newly Registered
Syria

Post by JennyDF » Wed Aug 21, 2019 1:15 pm

London22 wrote:
Wed Aug 21, 2019 11:56 am
Hello Dear
Most ex refugees travel to home country once they get british citizenship.You should travel and see your parents.You havent cheated home office as you were a genuine refugee .I dont see any problem for you.
Dont worry about scaremongers .You are a british citizen and no more a refugee so can travel anywhere same like a british.This makes sense.Home office knows this very well but they dont do anything as they know the person is british and going home country with his own will means the person feels safe .If your country's situation is changed /improved then it is a good reason to travel back home.You cant simply live all life like a refugee when you are not a refugee anymore refugee laws dont apply on you.Goodluck.Please share your stories after.
Thank you, only reason to travel back is my parents who iv seen 3 times in the last 8 years in neighbouring countries and who are now too old to make the journey, it's much safer now than how it was but it's still not safe enough for me go back if it wasn't of my parents who has no one else but me and I would not turn my back to them even if I lose my British citizenship which I earned
Thank you

London22
Member of Standing

Post by London22 » Wed Aug 21, 2019 1:41 pm

Just feel free &travel to your home country.You have spent time as a refugee &shown the HO you needed protection.I never heard of a case where ex refugee travelling home country &his BC is revoked.Immigration rules work on what the rules are.A british citizen can travel anywhere .A refugee cant travel home country unless fro emergency reasons.You are no more a refugee so why would you still apply refugee rules on yourself???

zimba
Mood:

Post by zimba » Wed Aug 21, 2019 2:17 pm

Accusing moderators on the forum as being scaremongers is ridiculous. We merely share the information we have at hand with members so to enable them to balance the risk/rewards of their decisions as per facts on the ground.
Reminding members of the risks/consequences involved in travelling to an active war zone is not scaremongering.
Because you have not heard someone lose their privileges before, does not mean that the secretary of state does not have such powers. Reminding members of that is not scaremongering.
Reminding members that they are not entitled to consular support in their country of origin is not scaremongering.
Reminding members that the immigration rules are not relevant to them as British citizens is not scaremongering.

joeano353
BANNED
Tuvalu

Post by joeano353 » Wed Aug 21, 2019 3:07 pm

I fail to understand why moderators have to bend backwards to justify their well meant comments.
Too many people here want answers that suit their needs. If you differ you are bad.
These people should just be ignored. OP is constantly asking what you think are the possibilities and when pointed out thinks they are special and have to be pandered. Two moderators gave their views. The moderators are not HO call centre operatives who can tell them what is going to happen. Decide on the basis of what moderators offer you. Claiming to be genuine and looking after aged persons is not for contributors here to decide. That can only be answered by HO.

London22
Member of Standing

Post by London22 » Wed Aug 21, 2019 3:10 pm

If someone is a refugee &travels to home country for the reasons like to see ill parents,to file divorce papers,or some emergency reasons which not under his control his refugee status should not be revoked .This is from UN refugee handbook.
If someone is not a refugee like this british person ,I dont see any risks of his bc revocation.Seeing is believing.We never see any case of BC being revoked merely for travelling back home.
Goodluck to every ex refugee while travelling back home.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Wed Aug 21, 2019 3:15 pm

The topic has now run its course and the OP will need to base their decision on what is best for them and the advice already given. Or failing that, contact HO directly.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.