ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Family visa 10 year route

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé/e | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

rai75

Family visa 10 year route

Post by rai75 » Wed Aug 21, 2019 5:42 pm

My wife who is from India came on a spouse visa in 2017. She gave birth to our daughter in 2018. Her spouse visa runs out early next year.

As she has not passed her A2 she can change her visa to family visa 10 year route (through our daughter - my daughter aged one and I both were born in England and have British passports). Which means she has to apply every 2.5 years until she gets to 10 years.

I wanted to ask:

Once she gets to ten years, will she automatically become permanent?

Will she need to do any tests? She does not want a British passport. She wants to remain here in England permanently but just keep her Indian passport. Can she get away with doing no tests and remain in England permanently? Her English is not very good.

Please advise

seagul
Diamond Member
Mood:

Re: Family visa 10 year route

Post by seagul » Wed Aug 21, 2019 5:50 pm

Even if she will complete her 10 years under flrfp/long residence but if she want to apply ILR then still she will have to pass B1 test.
The opinion expressed as above is neither a professional advice nor contesting/competing to other member's opinion/advice.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Wed Aug 21, 2019 5:54 pm

And the life in the UK test for ilr.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

rai75

Post by rai75 » Wed Aug 21, 2019 6:35 pm

Once she completes the 10 years, my daughter will be older than 7 years. Based on my daughter will my wife not automatically become permanent without doing any tests?

Can she not change to a different visa or apply for something else after the 10 years?

seagul
Diamond Member
Mood:

Post by seagul » Wed Aug 21, 2019 6:41 pm

rai75 wrote:
Wed Aug 21, 2019 6:35 pm
Once she completes the 10 years, my daughter will be older than 7 years. Based on my daughter will my wife not automatically become permanent without doing any tests?

Can she not change to a different visa or apply for something else after the 10 years?
Except EU route there is no escape from doing B1 test & life in UK test if applying for permanent residency called ILR. If the current rule doesn't gets changed for flrfp then yes she may continue to extend without English test. In my opinion if someone start practicing even couple of English sentences per day from now then by 10th year the test can easily be passed.
The opinion expressed as above is neither a professional advice nor contesting/competing to other member's opinion/advice.

rai75

Post by rai75 » Wed Aug 21, 2019 6:59 pm

Many thanks for the info and the quick response.

One more thing.

Will she need to pass A2 and B1 after 10 years?

If she only passes A2 and find it difficult to pass B1.
Is there another route.

I do not think I could pass B1 living in the UK for 40+ years.

What would happen then or is it to hard to say?

seagul
Diamond Member
Mood:

Post by seagul » Wed Aug 21, 2019 7:05 pm

For ILR B1 is needed not A2. If she can't then continue to extend under flrfp until she not passes the relevant test. Out of interest how she met the English test requirement initially/previously? A1/A2/B1 are almost same with few minutes of duration distinction.

rai75

Post by rai75 » Wed Aug 21, 2019 7:28 pm

She passed A1 in india first time. She has to look after my daughter so she had no time to do any learning. She went to a couple of lessons and all the teacher is concerned about making money from the students and not getting them to pass quickly. £30 per lesson (lesson for 2 hours).

What is flrfp? How often can you extend his this?

Does she not need to pass A2?

I was going to get visa extended via the 10 year route and then get her to try the tests.

What is the name of the test she needs to do first called.

Then what is the second test she needs to pass.

seagul
Diamond Member
Mood:

Post by seagul » Wed Aug 21, 2019 7:33 pm

You seems like over thinking. If she can do A1 then she can do B1 too. Your English skills seems reasonable so you can help her instead taking paid lessons. Also a lot of free lessons and tips on YouTube available to practice. Your all queries have reply in previous posts. Good luck

rai75

Post by rai75 » Wed Aug 21, 2019 7:41 pm

Can I ask what tests does she need to do.

I thought it was A2 then B1

Then someone said life skills in the UK

Just so I know the correct tests for her to do.

What are they called and in which order.

Please could you advise

seagul
Diamond Member
Mood:

Post by seagul » Wed Aug 21, 2019 7:47 pm

rai75 wrote:
Wed Aug 21, 2019 7:41 pm
Can I ask what tests does she need to do.

I thought it was A2 then B1

Then someone said life skills in the UK

Just so I know the correct tests for her to do.

What are they called and in which order.

Please could you advise
https://takeielts.britishcouncil.org/ta ... ukvi/score

tehussain

Post by tehussain » Wed Aug 21, 2019 8:27 pm

Hi,

Don't want to hijack the thread or create another for such a simple query, but if someone has an A1, can they can jump straight to a B1 and then use that for extension of the spouse visa and then also use it for ilr and citizenship?

Is that a correct understanding?

Thanks

seagul
Diamond Member
Mood:

Post by seagul » Wed Aug 21, 2019 8:38 pm

tehussain wrote:
Wed Aug 21, 2019 8:27 pm
Hi,

Don't want to hijack the thread or create another for such a simple query, but if someone has an A1, can they can jump straight to a B1 and then use that for extension of the spouse visa and then also use it for ilr and citizenship?

Is that a correct understanding?

Thanks
Yes you are hijacking someone post. Regarding your question of B1 yes you can.

rai75

Post by rai75 » Fri Aug 23, 2019 5:22 am

Does a A2 test expire? Or if you passed once it then you have this for life?

Jaune08
Mexico

Post by Jaune08 » Fri Aug 23, 2019 5:50 am

rai75 wrote:
Fri Aug 23, 2019 5:22 am
Does a A2 test expire? Or if you passed once it then you have this for life?
Every Life Skills IELTS certificate (A1, A2, B1) has a two year validity. After that, you cannot longer use it (with some exceptions for the B1).

I think you're overthinking the English test matter as seagul stated above. There's pretty much no difference between A1 and A2. It's one of the simplest English test that she can do, as she doesn't require to write or read. And the difference between A2 and B1 is an extra task to complete on the B1.

To have an idea, just search samples of Life Skills tests on Youtube (a lot of them are conducted by Indian examiners) and you will see it isn't that difficult.