ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Friends in other countries question

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé/e | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

andrewgibson
Newly Registered

Extending residence permit

Post by andrewgibson » Mon Aug 19, 2019 12:37 pm

Hello everybody, my wife is from New Zealand and two years ago she was granted leave to enter the UK and given a residence permit (she applied for that while in NZ). The time has come to renew it but I'm not sure of what the next step is even after reading the government website. Does anybody have any suggestions? We have a young boy born in the UK if that helps.

Thanks,
Andrew

zimba
Mood:

Re: Extending residence permit

Post by zimba » Mon Aug 19, 2019 12:39 pm

If she came here using the spouse visa, she needs to extend under FLR(M)

https://visas-immigration.service.gov.u ... ily-routes
Advice is given based on my personal research and experience only. Do NOT contact me via private message for immigration advice

andrewgibson
Newly Registered

Post by andrewgibson » Thu Aug 22, 2019 2:50 pm

Thanks, will read the information at the link.

andrewgibson
Newly Registered

Post by andrewgibson » Thu Aug 22, 2019 3:06 pm

My wife is currently here on a spouse/partner permit which gives her permission to work. Do you know if the family visa also gives her permission to work? And how long is she likely to be able to stay in the UK on a family visa? It doesn't say on the webpage. I'm also confused over how this differs from settlement (indefinite leave to remain), which seems to be a different process.

I'm finding it all a bit confusing, as you can see!

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Thu Aug 22, 2019 3:19 pm

My wife is currently here on a spouse/partner permit which gives her permission to work. Do you know if the family visa also gives her permission to work?
She is applying for an extension to her exiting visa. Nothing changes in terms of her visa conditions and she can continue working.
And how long is she likely to be able to stay in the UK on a family visa? It doesn't say on the webpage.

Presumably she is close the end of 2.5 year residence??? She stays on a spouse visa for 5 year before she can apply for settlement/ILR.
I'm also confused over how this differs from settlement (indefinite leave to remain), which seems to be a different process.
Her current visa is limited leave to remain, i.e. it has an end date. Settlement or Indefinite leave to remain does not provided she doesn't leave the UK for 2 or more years. Close to the expiry of her next visa and shortly before reaching 5 years residence (counted from date of entry to the UK), she applies for ILR (indefinite leave to remain) and has to meet the financial requirement again and the life in the UK test. Best start saving as it is also expensive, current cost is £2389 plus £800 if you want super priority 24 hour service.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

andrewgibson
Newly Registered

Post by andrewgibson » Thu Aug 22, 2019 4:32 pm

Ok, that clarifies things. Yes, she is getting near the end of her 2.5 years residence, so we need to take the next step. Thanks again, it's been a great help.

andrewgibson
Newly Registered

Friends in other countries question

Post by andrewgibson » Wed Sep 18, 2019 1:37 pm

Hello everybody, my wife's applying for a family visa to stay with me in the UK. One of the questions on the application is:

"What family or friends do you have in the country where you were born and/or any other country whose nationality you hold?"

Does anybody know what the definition of friends is in this case? The list of people my wife calls friends runs the spectrum from close friends to not so close friends (like ex-work colleagues, neighbours etc) to people she hasn't been in touch with for years. We're not sure what they're looking for in the answer to this question.

Thanks,
Andrew

geoeng
Canada

Re: Friends in other countries question

Post by geoeng » Wed Sep 18, 2019 1:46 pm

I included a list of 15-20 family/friends (generally people I was closer to and maintained contact with) and didn't have any issues. I think they just want you to demonstrate you have relationships in your country of origin (and probably less likely to provide deceptive information in an application).
I'm just a guy on the Internet who immigrated to the UK. My opinions are based on my experience and interpretation of the immigration rules and should not be considered legal or immigration advice; your mileage may vary.

seagul
Diamond Member
Mood:

Post by seagul » Wed Sep 18, 2019 2:26 pm

andrewgibson wrote:
Wed Sep 18, 2019 1:37 pm
Hello everybody, my wife's applying for a family visa to stay with me in the UK. One of the questions on the application is:

"What family or friends do you have in the country where you were born and/or any other country whose nationality you hold?"

Does anybody know what the definition of friends is in this case? The list of people my wife calls friends runs the spectrum from close friends to not so close friends (like ex-work colleagues, neighbours etc) to people she hasn't been in touch with for years. We're not sure what they're looking for in the answer to this question.

Thanks,
Andrew
Ideally describe about 5-10 persons who you feel were got in touch most recent in past/present should be fine. Any reply to that question won't affect the application.
The opinion expressed as above is neither a professional advice nor contesting/competing to other member's opinion/advice.

andrewgibson
Newly Registered

Post by andrewgibson » Tue Oct 01, 2019 6:49 pm

Thank you both, that's very helpful.