ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

US partner moving to UK

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé/e | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

ToonPatriot
Newly Registered

US partner moving to UK

Post by ToonPatriot » Fri Aug 23, 2019 9:13 pm

My story.
I met my girlfriend online and we have been flipflopping between visiting each other. We both have good, very stable jobs and we want to take the leap of her moving to the UK and she is willing to give up her job to do so. I am also willing to support her if she is unable to work for a period of time. She is an accountant but because of where we will live (countryside) there isn't really any sponsorship jobs about for her and she would probably need to retrain anyway.
The catch is that she can't get a family visa as we haven't 'lived together' for 2 years. Funnily enough it is impossible with me being in the Armed forces and her living in another country! Seems slightly unreasonable to me!

Has anybody been in a similar situation or anybody have any advice? Thanks.

seagul
Diamond Member
Mood:

Re: US partner moving to UK

Post by seagul » Fri Aug 23, 2019 9:22 pm

Then only option might be the fiancee visa where she can come to marry in UK or spouse visa where you both marry outside the UK.
The opinion expressed as above is neither a professional advice nor contesting/competing to other member's opinion/advice.

ToonPatriot
Newly Registered

Post by ToonPatriot » Thu Aug 29, 2019 12:13 pm

Thanks. It's a shame that we need to be married (now or soon) in order to be together.
Thanks for your reply.

physicskate
Diamond Member

Post by physicskate » Thu Aug 29, 2019 7:45 pm

ToonPatriot wrote:
Thu Aug 29, 2019 12:13 pm
Thanks. It's a shame that we need to be married (now or soon) in order to be together.
Thanks for your reply.
This would be the case if you looked to move to the US too on the basis of your relationship.

Thems the rules.