ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

UK Citizen staying longer than 90 days in Italy

Immigration to European countries, don't post UK or Ireland related topics!

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

DigestiveCow
Newly Registered
Mood:
Wales

UK Citizen staying longer than 90 days in Italy

Post by DigestiveCow » Sun Aug 25, 2019 5:03 pm

Hello everyone,

I am a UK Citizen and am currently staying (not living or working) with my italian girlfriend in Italy. I have been here for almost 90 days.

My question concerns something I am at a loss about trying to understand. Schengen has a 90 day rule, I know this. However does this rule apply to a UK Citizen and to what extent?

As best as I can understand, if I want to stay in Italy longer than 90 days I should have registered within the first 8 days of being here. Well unfortunately I'm not a time-traveller and I originally hadn't planned to stay over the 90 days.

So legally speaking, what are my options? If I go over this 90 days will I be fined upon leaving or will the authorities simply not care as I am (currently) an EU Citizen?

I would also be interested to know how passport control would even tell the difference between whether I had registered my residency or not? If anyone has any details on how the police share information with immigration I would be interested to know :)

Zerubbabel
Respected Guru
Mood:

Re: UK Citizen staying longer than 90 days in Italy

Post by Zerubbabel » Sun Aug 25, 2019 8:09 pm

As an EU citizen, you can stay your entire life in any EEA country if you so desire.

This 90 days rule is not for you. It's for people from non-EU country (USA, Canada, Japan... etc). The nationals of these countries can visit for 90 days maximum.

Italians at the border are not going to give your passport a second look.

This may change after Brexit.

ameliaclaire
Newly Registered

Post by ameliaclaire » Wed Sep 04, 2019 12:50 pm

Assuming you are American/Canadian/Australian or similar, it’s pretty simple: spend time outside the Schengen Zone, where the 90-day mark doesn’t tick.

Plenty of Eastern Europe and the Balkans falls into this, as well as the UK, I believe.

There are also some Schengen countries that allow you to “extend” your Schengen visa for their country only—so if you go to that country last, you could potentially spend longer than 90 days in the Schengen Zone—you would just need to leave from that country.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Wed Sep 04, 2019 12:52 pm

ameliaclaire wrote:
Wed Sep 04, 2019 12:50 pm
Assuming you are American/Canadian/Australian or similar, it’s pretty simple: spend time outside the Schengen Zone, where the 90-day mark doesn’t tick.
The original poster has very clearly stated that they are a British citizen!!
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.