ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Absences count: are trips to the UK included?

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

mike20
Newly Registered
Greece

Absences count: are trips to the UK included?

Post by mike20 » Sat Aug 24, 2019 2:54 pm

Hi,

I am new here, so apologies if I'm posting in the wrong place.
I would like to pose a question with respect to the naturalisation application absences list. I have a period of 11 month which I was absent from the UK, which of course I am planning to disclose as part of my application. However, I would like to ask you if I can include short trips to the UK as part of my "days in the UK count" - i.e. even if I have the absence of 11 months, are the trips to the UK discounted?

For instance:
- Left the UK in July 2018
- Visited the UK for a week (X-Y days) in November 2018
- Returned to the UK in June 2019

Should I include a long period of absence between July 2018 to June 2019, or should it be July - X November 2018, Y November 2018 - June 2019?

I hope this makes sense.

Thanks

zimba
Mood:

Re: Absences count: are trips to the UK included?

Post by zimba » Sat Aug 24, 2019 4:20 pm

It should be July - X November 2018 then Y November 2018 - June 2019
However you cannot have more than 90 days of absence in the last 12 months from the date of your citizenship application or it will be refsued :!:
Advice is given based on my personal research and experience only. Do NOT contact me via private message for immigration advice

mike20
Newly Registered
Greece

Post by mike20 » Sun Aug 25, 2019 7:09 pm

Thank you very much indeed for your answer.

Is there any documentation confirming that? My concern is mostly the fact that for that week, I can't really claim I was a resident in the UK, I was mainly visiting. I can prove I was here of course but not with the intention to stay longer.

I'm okay with the 90 days in the past year limit. :)

zimba
Mood:

Post by zimba » Mon Aug 26, 2019 12:59 am

The absence requirement is separate from residency (EEA exercising treaty rights before PR) requirement. Do you already have PR ?? How many days were you absent in the last 12 months ??
Advice is given based on my personal research and experience only. Do NOT contact me via private message for immigration advice

mike20
Newly Registered
Greece

Post by mike20 » Mon Aug 26, 2019 9:18 am

I don't plan to apply till next August and the dates I gave was just as an example, so I think I'm fine with the 12 month absences restriction.

I'm waiting to get my settled status application granted. Likely going to be this week.

But even for citizenship, it is required to give evidence of residence in these years despite having the settled status, right? I was reading that because of being an EEA citizen, I should send them letters from employers or academic institutions. Hence I was asking, if I present my trips as presence in the UK, and I have to show evidence, is it sufficient to show my airline tickets for example or a bank statement from that month showing transactions? Or are they not thoroughly checking all years residence again since they were checked for the settled status?

guru1s

Post by guru1s » Mon Aug 26, 2019 3:39 pm

mike20 wrote:
Mon Aug 26, 2019 9:18 am
I don't plan to apply till next August and the dates I gave was just as an example, so I think I'm fine with the 12 month absences restriction.

I'm waiting to get my settled status application granted. Likely going to be this week.

But even for citizenship, it is required to give evidence of residence in these years despite having the settled status, right? I was reading that because of being an EEA citizen, I should send them letters from employers or academic institutions. Hence I was asking, if I present my trips as presence in the UK, and I have to show evidence, is it sufficient to show my airline tickets for example or a bank statement from that month showing transactions? Or are they not thoroughly checking all years residence again since they were checked for the settled status?
If you do not meet a criteria for settlement scheme, you are most likely be qualified for pre-settlement scheme:

https://www.gov.uk/settled-status-eu-ci ... atus-means

If you get pre-settlement, you can't apply for BC after 12 months, as you need to get settlement status.

If you get settlement scheme, then you will be fine after 12 month applying for BC, but keep documents that you have provided for settlement scheme and add more evidence for the next 12 months.

zimba
Mood:

Post by zimba » Mon Aug 26, 2019 11:40 pm

mike20 wrote:
Mon Aug 26, 2019 9:18 am

If they accept the evidence and give you settled status or PR, then they accept it for naturalisation too. But given your circumstances, I doubt you can even get settled status for now.