ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Error on naturalisation certificate – wrong birth country

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

cabbagebadger
Newly Registered
Russia

Error on naturalisation certificate – wrong birth country

Post by cabbagebadger » Tue Aug 27, 2019 8:45 am

Hello all,

I recently got confirmation of my naturalisation: got the HO letter, booked myself in for a ceremony, etc.
However, I noticed that in the HO letter, a mistake was made in regards to my birth country.

I was born in the USSR (that's what it says in my Russian passport), and that is what I normally put everywhere when I fill out forms. Sometimes, when using drop-down menus, if the USSR isn't an option, I put down the modern equivalent of the country, which is Ukraine (not Russia).

But oh dear, someone in the HO put down the wrong modern-day country! So instead of writing "Birthtown, USSR" or "Birthtown, Ukraine", they wrote down "Birthtown, Russian Federation".

This is factually incorrect. After googling this issue a little bit, I found out that amending a naturalisation certificate takes 6-8 weeks. The problem is, I am attending my ceremony at the start of October, and I need to travel a couple of weeks later. Having seen the passport timelines, most people get their passports after about 14-16 days, but if I have to wait for 8 weeks + 2, that is more like 2.5 months!

This is such a strange mistake to make, and it will cost me time and travel opportunities to change. It's not a big deal to me, but I'm concerned that this will be a problem down the line.

Does anyone have relevant advice? After waiting 11 years and spending thousands on all of this, I really want this process to be over and I'm a little shocked by the fact that the wrong country was put down despite other information in all of my paperwork!

apsk
Member of Standing
India

Re: Error on naturalisation certificate – wrong birth country

Post by apsk » Tue Aug 27, 2019 8:57 am

Get your ceremony done and then send the certificate for correction. Unfortunately you cannot cut the time it will take but certainly you can speak to Home office regarding this via email
furthernationalityenquiries@homeoffice.gov.uk
Citizenship.Support@homeoffice.gov.uk
nationalityenquiries@homeoffice.gov.uk

Perhaps, they will never be able to correct this and it should be fine for you to apply Passport straightaway. Writing to them will make it clearer.

cabbagebadger
Newly Registered
Russia

Post by cabbagebadger » Tue Aug 27, 2019 8:59 am

Thanks, apsk! Will do. :-) Really handy to have e-mail addresses to write to, especially with an organisation as elusive as the HO.

zimba
Mood:

Post by zimba » Tue Aug 27, 2019 11:32 am

You will be told what to do by council staff regarding this when you attend your ceremony
Advice is given based on my personal research and experience only. Do NOT contact me via private message for immigration advice

cabbagebadger
Newly Registered
Russia

Post by cabbagebadger » Tue Aug 27, 2019 8:16 pm

Zimba wrote:
Tue Aug 27, 2019 11:32 am
You will be told what to do by council staff regarding this when you attend your ceremony
Sadly not. :-( I talked to both council staff, and the passport office today. Council staff were sympathetic but not sure of what to do, and the passport office told me there was also nothing they could do.

I've fired off an e-mail to the e-mails provided above, hopefully it'll be sorted sooner rather than later.
Given the scrutiny applicants undergo and the money the procedure costs, I'm still gobsmacked by the fact that they didn't bother to check what country my birth city is in...

zimba
Mood:

Post by zimba » Wed Aug 28, 2019 12:28 am

Correct mistakes on a certificate

Download and complete an application for a correction of a registration or naturalisation certificate.
https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... ertificate

You’ll need to pay a £250 fee if the mistake on your certificate was your fault. UKVI will send you a letter telling you if you need to pay.
Send the form and your original certificate to Department 1, UKVI.

Department 201
UKVI
The Capital
New Hall Place
Liverpool
L3 9PP

https://www.gov.uk/get-replacement-citi ... ertificate
Advice is given based on my personal research and experience only. Do NOT contact me via private message for immigration advice

cabbagebadger
Newly Registered
Russia

Post by cabbagebadger » Wed Aug 28, 2019 12:10 pm

Zimba wrote:
Wed Aug 28, 2019 12:28 am
Correct mistakes on a certificate

Download and complete an application for a correction of a registration or naturalisation certificate.
https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... ertificate

You’ll need to pay a £250 fee if the mistake on your certificate was your fault. UKVI will send you a letter telling you if you need to pay.
Send the form and your original certificate to Department 1, UKVI.

Department 201
UKVI
The Capital
New Hall Place
Liverpool
L3 9PP

https://www.gov.uk/get-replacement-citi ... ertificate
Excellent, thank you! :-)