ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Advice on filling form AN for naturalisation

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

dnz34
Newly Registered
Turkey

Re: Advice on filling form AN for naturalisation

Post by dnz34 » Thu Jul 25, 2019 8:48 am

CR001 wrote:
Tue Jul 23, 2019 10:37 pm
dnz34 wrote:
Tue Jul 23, 2019 5:13 pm
can someone please help me to understand the absences ?

for 5 year period = 12 months not more than 90 days
and no more than 450 days in total 5 years.

does it have to be no more than 90 days in each years ? NO

july 2018- july 2019 = 7 days
2017 ive been away 384 days for give a birth and funeral one of my family member.

384 days in 2017 is a peoblem ? NO

thank you
thank you CR001

can i please ask you one more question ? :)

ive been uk 11 years and i had my IRL 2 years ago as business person and also im married with British citizen 4 years.
i dont want to do my application as a spouse ( 3 year route ) . is this possible ?
if its possible do 5 year route how can i do that ?
is it in the form ?

thank you

RK3285
Wales

Post by RK3285 » Sat Jul 27, 2019 9:17 am

Hi,

I am on the referre part, I am about to print referres forms
But I have one question.
Do I still need to sign back of the passport pictures, even if they are scanning front part only.

Thanks

RK3285
Wales

Post by RK3285 » Sat Jul 27, 2019 8:22 pm

Reply please...

kam18
Newly Registered
Poland

Post by kam18 » Wed Aug 21, 2019 6:11 pm

Hello everyone,
I do application in paper form and I have a few questions. I would appreciate, if you can help me please.
I will use my PR so in 1.1 Give any reference numbers used in your immigration do I need to put Case ID nr? Tha it is all found on the letter.
1.3 Should I leave it blank? I will need to fill 2.4 because I am EEA with PR and they ask for the date there as well.
1.12 Name of the city contains polish letter so I guess I should use only english letter am I right?
1.49 Details of your employment I am PAYE now but I was sole trader two years ago and closed business, so should I put my UTR in Tax reference number?
2.3 Obviously main home is England, should I put it then?
6.1 I have never been issued biometrics in the UK so I say no and in 6.17 I confirm that I wish to register my biometric information. Will they send me letter once they receive my application and say where should I to have it done?
7.10 It says Although I do not meet all of the statuory requirements for naturalisation... Well I believe I do meet all requirements so should I not tick that?
When it comes to the referees section should they sign it with their full name and surname or it can be their usual signature which you do not know what what is written really. Last thing is that, I would have one referee signing this month and another in October so the date would be different is that alright?

Thank you all in advance for help I really need answers for all the questions above.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Wed Aug 21, 2019 6:13 pm

kam18 wrote:
Wed Aug 21, 2019 6:11 pm
Hello everyone,
I do application in paper form and I have a few questions. I would appreciate, if you can help me please.
I will use my PR so in 1.1 Give any reference numbers used in your immigration do I need to put Case ID nr? Tha it is all found on the letter.
1.3 Should I leave it blank? I will need to fill 2.4 because I am EEA with PR and they ask for the date there as well.
1.12 Name of the city contains polish letter so I guess I should use only english letter am I right?
1.49 Details of your employment I am PAYE now but I was sole trader two years ago and closed business, so should I put my UTR in Tax reference number?
2.3 Obviously main home is England, should I put it then?
6.1 I have never been issued biometrics in the UK so I say no and in 6.17 I confirm that I wish to register my biometric information. Will they send me letter once they receive my application and say where should I to have it done?
7.10 It says Although I do not meet all of the statuory requirements for naturalisation... Well I believe I do meet all requirements so should I not tick that?
When it comes to the referees section should they sign it with their full name and surname or it can be their usual signature which you do not know what what is written really. Last thing is that, I would have one referee signing this month and another in October so the date would be different is that alright?

Thank you all in advance for help I really need answers for all the questions above.
You can't apply using the paper form. You must apply using the online form.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

kam18
Newly Registered
Poland

Post by kam18 » Wed Aug 21, 2019 6:32 pm

Are you sure? It says:
'You can also use this paper form if you live elsewhere and want to apply by post. You will need to submit your documents with your application.

Most people who live in the UK and apply online are able to keep their documents while their application is processed.'

I thought I can but the difference is that I can keep my documents when applying online. I checked the date of publishing it. Published 12 April 2019 Last updated 26 June 2019 — see all updates From:
UK Visas and Immigration I got this from this website: https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... on-form-an

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Wed Aug 21, 2019 7:32 pm

kam18 wrote:
Wed Aug 21, 2019 6:32 pm
Are you sure? It says:
'You can also use this paper form if you live elsewhere and want to apply by post. You will need to submit your documents with your application.

Most people who live in the UK and apply online are able to keep their documents while their application is processed.'

I thought I can but the difference is that I can keep my documents when applying online. I checked the date of publishing it. Published 12 April 2019 Last updated 26 June 2019 — see all updates From:
UK Visas and Immigration I got this from this website: https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... on-form-an
The paper form is if you live outside of England, Wales, Scotland and N Ireland, as it clearly states.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

kam18
Newly Registered
Poland

Post by kam18 » Thu Aug 22, 2019 12:16 am

Okay I will try do it online. Thank you

rgupta
Newly Registered
India

Post by rgupta » Tue Aug 27, 2019 7:11 pm

Hi
I am applying for naturalisation next month and have 3 questions if anyone could please help.

1. I would like to check for the 'Immigration details' section where it asks 'Have you made any previous UK immigration applications in the UK or aboard'? What does this really mena? Does that need to include Tier 2 visa details and Tier 4 before I had my ILR from 2018?

2. If i've run out of space in the 'Trips outside the UK section' where's best to insert this information'?

3. Lastly one of my referees is in Switzerland (but British) would that be an issue?

Many thanks
Roneeta

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Tue Aug 27, 2019 7:44 pm

rgupta wrote:
Tue Aug 27, 2019 7:11 pm
Hi
I am applying for naturalisation next month and have 3 questions if anyone could please help.

1. I would like to check for the 'Immigration details' section where it asks 'Have you made any previous UK immigration applications in the UK or aboard'? What does this really mena? Does that need to include Tier 2 visa details and Tier 4 before I had my ILR from 2018?

2. If i've run out of space in the 'Trips outside the UK section' where's best to insert this information'?

3. Lastly one of my referees is in Switzerland (but British) would that be an issue?

Many thanks
Roneeta
1. ALL visa applications you have made as the question asks.

2. Excel schedule and upload with documents.

3. No as long as they meet the requirements.
Char (CR001 not Casa)

rgupta
Newly Registered
India

Post by rgupta » Sat Aug 31, 2019 5:42 pm

Thank you very much, thats useful. I would also like to check if I got my ILR on 17th Sept last year, the date I should click 'Pay' in the naturalisation application would be on 17th Sept 2019 itself (I was in the UK on 17th Sept 2014)?

Thanks,
Roneeta
CR001 wrote:
Tue Aug 27, 2019 7:44 pm
rgupta wrote:
Tue Aug 27, 2019 7:11 pm
Hi

Many thanks
Roneeta
1. ALL visa applications you have made as the question asks.

2. Excel schedule and upload with documents.

3. No as long as they meet the requirements.

Rollingcabbage
Newly Registered
Mood:
China

Post by Rollingcabbage » Sun Sep 29, 2019 5:21 am

hereorthere wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 9:48 am
Ok thank you for the advice. However you would think that they would make it possible not to have to lie on the form!!
i thought the same.

they could have designed a better form , maybe give the route option instead?

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Sun Sep 29, 2019 5:28 am

Rollingcabbage wrote:
Sun Sep 29, 2019 5:21 am
hereorthere wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 9:48 am
Ok thank you for the advice. However you would think that they would make it possible not to have to lie on the form!!
i thought the same.

they could have designed a better form , maybe give the route option instead?
The route is irrelevant. The degree question is only relevant to meeting the English requirement, if applicable, as the form and guidance clearly state. HO really don't care about your qualifications for the purpose of citizenship.
Char (CR001 not Casa)

Annavivas
Newly Registered
Latvia

What counts as "application received by the Home Office"

Post by Annavivas » Thu Oct 03, 2019 9:40 pm

Hi all,

I am an EU citizen with permanent residency since 2016 applying for naturalisation. I am trying to figure out when I can submit my application. The Guide AN Naturalisation booklet states:

"You must have been physically present in England, Wales, Scotland, Northern
Ireland, the Isle of Man or the Channel Islands on the day 5 years before the
application is received by the Home Office
".

Back in Autumn 2014 I travelled quite a lot for work and was in and out of country. Not to breach the above rule I have to figure out if "application is received by the Home Office" is when I submit my online application, or the moment I attend the UKVCAS appointment to enrol biometrics etc.

Could anyone help with this please?

Thanks!

alterhase58
Germany

Re: What counts as "application received by the Home Office"

Post by alterhase58 » Thu Oct 03, 2019 10:23 pm

Annavivas wrote:
Thu Oct 03, 2019 9:40 pm
Hi all,

I am an EU citizen with permanent residency since 2016 applying for naturalisation. I am trying to figure out when I can submit my application. The Guide AN Naturalisation booklet states:

"You must have been physically present in England, Wales, Scotland, Northern
Ireland, the Isle of Man or the Channel Islands on the day 5 years before the
application is received by the Home Office
".

Back in Autumn 2014 I travelled quite a lot for work and was in and out of country. Not to breach the above rule I have to figure out if "application is received by the Home Office" is when I submit my online application, or the moment I attend the UKVCAS appointment to enrol biometrics etc.

Could anyone help with this please?

Thanks!
Your date of application is the date you submit and pay online. The appointment is for biometrics.
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.

Ity699
Newly Registered

Post by Ity699 » Fri Oct 04, 2019 1:35 pm

I have an appointment in a weeks time to submit biometrics through the new system and have paid for online scanning, all my paper based evidence will easily be uploaded. But I wanted to know how out passports will be scanned will it be everypage as it states need provide evidence of entry and exits stamps or should i photocopy everypage of both passports beforehand so they could scan in

Thanks

Plotoder
India

Post by Plotoder » Fri Oct 04, 2019 1:38 pm

Best to scan and upload yourself too. UKVCAS will also scan and upload 3 versions of it (UV, B&W, Color) but they are known to make mistakes. Doesn’t hurt to have two copies uploaded.

noname1
Newly Registered
Mood:

Post by noname1 » Wed Oct 16, 2019 9:53 am

Hi All,
I have a query that is causing me some confusion and I wonder what you guys think, would be great to hear from admins also. It is to do with my employment history, which is very much complete but has one issue which is non of my own. I had a job more than 10 years ago which is not on HMRC records but I see on my payslips that I paid taxes.

I have included a cover letter with my application covering a few points, including the below which is my query:

"I have requested my employment records from HMRC which I have received. This is enclosed for your attention and shows my track record of economic activity.
There seems to be one issue with this enclosed document which, out of completeness and full candour, I would like to disclose.

For the tax year xx/xx, there is no records that I had been employed. However, I recall that I had a part-time job whilst I was a student.

For some reason, there is no record of this short-term job during early college years. However, it can be seen that Tax contributions for this period were made on my payslips. I have been proactive and made HMRC aware of this issue. I have been advised to provide HMRC with a copy of a payslip in relation to this employment so they can further investigate".

Do you think it's OK and that the HO would appreciate the honesty and keeping them in the loop or this may cause any issues???

rasheedabdul786

Post by rasheedabdul786 » Sun Oct 20, 2019 10:35 pm

Hi Everyone,
I am in process of applying naturalisation for my wife and while filling the online application I came across two question which a bit confusing

1.Do you have any dependents not applying with you at this time ? I am British citizen and have two kids both of them are British citizens.what should be the answer

2.have you previously made any other uk immigration applications in the uk or abroad? what should be the answer if yes Do I need to list all visa application details since she first applied to u.k till she got ILR.

any response would be appreciated.Thanks

bizman
Diamond Member
Mood:

Post by bizman » Thu Jan 09, 2020 10:35 pm

rasheedabdul786 wrote:
Sun Oct 20, 2019 10:35 pm
Hi Everyone,
I am in process of applying naturalisation for my wife and while filling the online application I came across two question which a bit confusing

1.Do you have any dependents not applying with you at this time ? I am British citizen and have two kids both of them are British citizens.what should be the answer. Since it’s your wife application, all other family members have BC, just write No for her

2.have you previously made any other uk immigration applications in the uk or abroad? what should be the answer if yes Do I need to list all visa application details since she first applied to u.k till she got ILR. Yes

any response would be appreciated.Thanks
Bizman

magicsign
Italy

Post by magicsign » Mon Jan 13, 2020 4:42 pm

Hi, I'm in the process of getting everything sorted for my Naturalisation application as an EU applicant. I just have some doubts that hopefully someone here more will be able to help, thanks in advance.
  • This 22nd of January I will have my ILR for exactly 12 months, how do I prove that in my application considering that for the settled status you don't receive any document bust just a pdf (where it's explicitly written that this letter is not proof of your permanent residence but the passport is) confirming your ILR status. You can also generate a code from the HO link and provide that so they can check my status.
  • I am a bit concerned about listing all the absences in the last 5 years,I travel a lot, short trips, I am confident that I haven't exceed the 450 days threshold for the 5 years and 90 days max in the last 12 months for the ILR but how do you exactly prove that ? I read in the forum that someone suggested to list every single trip. I am not sure that I missed some Easyjet email or some dates might be wrong (there are cases where I cancel the flight) would that be an issue ?

alterhase58
Germany

Post by alterhase58 » Mon Jan 13, 2020 7:31 pm

magicsign wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 4:42 pm
Hi, I'm in the process of getting everything sorted for my Naturalisation application as an EU applicant. I just have some doubts that hopefully someone here more will be able to help, thanks in advance.
  • This 22nd of January I will have my ILR for exactly 12 months, how do I prove that in my application considering that for the settled status you don't receive any document bust just a pdf (where it's explicitly written that this letter is not proof of your permanent residence but the passport is) confirming your ILR status. You can also generate a code from the HO link and provide that so they can check my status.
Suggest you load the PDF with your other documents - and also your code if that's what you get
  • I am a bit concerned about listing all the absences in the last 5 years,I travel a lot, short trips, I am confident that I haven't exceed the 450 days threshold for the 5 years and 90 days max in the last 12 months for the ILR but how do you exactly prove that ? I read in the forum that someone suggested to list every single trip. I am not sure that I missed some Easyjet email or some dates might be wrong (there are cases where I cancel the flight) would that be an issue ?
List out as much data as you can recall, estimating dates/durations is fine. You don't need to include outbound/inbound days. You just declare what you have, there's no need to prove everything.
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.

magicsign
Italy

Post by magicsign » Wed Jan 15, 2020 11:51 am

Thank you. When they say for the required supportive documents : evidence of national insurance contributions covering the relevant period :
Pay slips,p60s,letter or letters from your employer or employers confirming you have worked in their employment including start and finish dates.

There are 5 months total in my 6 years where I was unemployed, will this be an issue considering that during those 5 months I wasn't contributing to national insurance?
Thanks

alterhase58
Germany

Post by alterhase58 » Wed Jan 15, 2020 12:14 pm

magicsign wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 11:51 am
Thank you. When they say for the required supportive documents : evidence of national insurance contributions covering the relevant period :
Pay slips,p60s,letter or letters from your employer or employers confirming you have worked in their employment including start and finish dates.

There are 5 months total in my 6 years where I was unemployed, will this be an issue considering that during those 5 months I wasn't contributing to national insurance?
Thanks
No issue - employment is not a requirement for naturalisation. Just state "unemployed".

lleksi
Newly Registered
Lithuania

Post by lleksi » Thu Jan 16, 2020 8:00 am

Hi all,
We are EU family, I have nearly sorted out our application and ready to pay, just would like to clarify some doubts under the section (Immigration details- Have you made any previous UK immigration applications in the UK or aboard?)
1. Do I need to reveal the details about application for Registration Certificate, the blue one; I did apply for back in 2011
2. Do I need to reveal an application for Settlement status which has been granted last January?

Could anyone help please!

Thanks!