ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Wife surname change during naturalisation

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny

gaurjai

Wife surname change during naturalisation

Post by gaurjai » Wed Aug 28, 2019 9:58 am

Hi Guys, need help if someone has done the same.

I am BC and my wife has just completed 5 years on spouse visa and got the ILR. We am now planning for her naturalisation application and we want her to take my surname so that naturalisation certificate and then British passport has same surname as I do.

All her previous documents (visa, current passport etc) have been with a different surname. We wanted to make that change sooner but then thought it would be too much hassle changing her current passport first and then the BRP. So thought will do during naturalisation so that her British passport comes with the new name.

Has anyone done this before? What has been your experience? What extra documents would be required?

Many Thanks

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Wife surname change during naturalisation

Post by CR001 » Wed Aug 28, 2019 10:01 am

She would need to change her foreign passport first.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

gaurjai

Post by gaurjai » Wed Aug 28, 2019 10:19 am

Thanks so that would be change foreign passport, change BRP and then go for naturalisation.

And what if we do that after naturalisation? surname change after getting the 1st British passport? Would that be a lengthy process?

Just looked at gov website - https://www.gov.uk/change-name-deed-poll - that you do not need a deed poll for name change after marriage.
Text from website:

"Marriage and civil partnership
You do not need a deed poll to take your spouse’s or civil partner’s surname. Send a copy of your marriage or civil partnership certificate to record-holders, such as benefits offices. Your documents will be updated for free."

Would it be more straightforward after British passport OR before?
CR001 wrote:
Wed Aug 28, 2019 10:01 am
She would need to change her foreign passport first.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Wed Aug 28, 2019 10:29 am

Thanks so that would be change foreign passport, change BRP and then go for naturalisation.
Change passport. Don't worry about BRP if applying for citizenship as soon as passport is changed.
And what if we do that after naturalisation? surname change after getting the 1st British passport? Would that be a lengthy process?

Just looked at gov website - https://www.gov.uk/change-name-deed-poll - that you do not need a deed poll for name change after marriage.
Text from website:

"Marriage and civil partnership
You do not need a deed poll to take your spouse’s or civil partner’s surname. Send a copy of your marriage or civil partnership certificate to record-holders, such as benefits offices. Your documents will be updated for free."

Would it be more straightforward after British passport OR before?

It will be 1. change passport 2. apply for naturalisation 3. attend ceremony 4. apply for passport

If you apply for naturalisation before changing name, you follow steps 2 to 4 above and add 5. do deed poll 6. apply for new British passport.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

gaurjai

Post by gaurjai » Wed Aug 28, 2019 10:34 am

That's fantastic, thank you very much. I will think it over. Cheers