ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Form AN for naturalisation Queries

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

ausslanderin
Newly Registered
Poland

Naturalisation application - Settled Status and proving residency

Post by ausslanderin » Wed Aug 28, 2019 2:42 pm

I was granted the EU Settled Status last November and plan to apply for naturalisation in a couple of months.

I have read the AN form guidance notes and I understand that Settled Status is ILR and, because my EU passport is not stamped upon entering the UK, I must also provide the letter I got from Home Office confirming my Settled Status.

But my question is, if I have been granted ILR - based on satisfying residency requirements - do I still have to include documents proving my residency throughout the past 6 years (P60s, bank statements, bills etc.)? Or is the letter confirming my ILR enough on its own? (Plus evidence that I have lived here for the past 12 months after getting ILR).

Thanks in advance for guidance!

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Naturalisation application - Settled Status and proving residency

Post by CR001 » Wed Aug 28, 2019 2:44 pm

do I still have to include documents proving my residency throughout the past 6 years (P60s, bank statements, bills etc.)?
Yes. Bank statements and utilities are not accepted for citizenship though.
Or is the letter confirming my ILR enough on its own? (Plus evidence that I have lived here for the past 12 months after getting ILR).

No, not enough.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

ausslanderin
Newly Registered
Poland

Post by ausslanderin » Thu Aug 29, 2019 10:33 am

Thank you! In terms of evidence, I take it that P60s and letters from universities/schools are acceptable, as per below:

"If you are unable to provide your passport explain why and supply letters from employers (including start and finish dates), payslips, P60s, educational establishments or other government departments indicating the applicant’s presence in the United Kingdom during the relevant period".

Could anyone advise on examples of the "other government departments" documentation? Would this include things like Jobseeker's Allowance, or letters from the NHS (hospital)? This would be to cover a period of unemployment.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Thu Aug 29, 2019 10:34 am

Yes to all your questions.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

ausslanderin
Newly Registered
Poland

Post by ausslanderin » Thu Aug 29, 2019 11:52 am

Thank you very much! I actually have one more question, which relates to my sister.

She had a year-long period of unemployment - with a short period in between when she worked for a couple of months - after finishing high school and before starting her current job. She was given Settled Status in February and wants to apply for naturalisation next year, but this period of unemployment is an obstacle. She didn't have the CSI and wasn't registered with Jobs & Benefits as a jobseeker... She lived with our mum as a dependent (below 21 years old, for what it's worth) during that time. She doesn't have any bills, HMRC documents or anything like that from that time, except maybe a few hospital appointment letters.

Would you say that it could be sensible to send her bank statements + the hospital correspondence + our mum's tenancy agreement and P60 with a letter from her explaining that my sister was living with her?

ausslanderin
Newly Registered
Poland

Proving residency (EU) - alternative documents for period of academic inactivity

Post by ausslanderin » Fri Aug 30, 2019 12:22 pm

My sister is an EU citizen, has lived in the UK for 9 years and attended secondary school here; she was granted Settled Status in February and wants to apply for citizenship next year.

She had a year-long period of unemployment right after finishing high school. During that time she also went abroad for 3.5 months (that's still less than 450 days over the whole 5 year period). She wasn't registerd with Jobs & Benefits and wasn't claiming any benefits. She lived with our mum as a dependent (below 21 years old) during that time. She doesn't have any utility bills, HMRC documents, DWP or any such documents from that time in her name. This makes proving her residency in the UK during that period difficult.

I have gathered alternative evidence she has that she could send instead:
• Bank statements
• Provisional driving licence
• Letters from the NHSs – hospital appointments etc.
• Electoral roll registration evidence
• GP records
• National Insurance letter stating period of registration
• Records of registration with the dentist
• Mobile phone contract statements
• P45 from a temporary job in the middle of the unemployment period (a few weeks)
• A letter from confirming that sister was living with her and financially dependent + mum’s tenancy agreement and P60

Could anyone advise if they think this could be sufficient, or maybe offer some other suggestions?

(Sorry for creating another topic on this - I'm hoping to get some more advice by making it separate!)

ausslanderin
Newly Registered
Poland

Form AN for naturalisation Queries

Post by ausslanderin » Mon Sep 16, 2019 9:53 am

Hi All,

I'm preparing to apply for naturalisation as an EU citizen on the basis of Settled Status. I have a couple of questions about the employment and study history from the last 10 years/date of entry.

- I assume that documentation, such as P60s/P45s and letters from employers, is only required for the qualifying period (the past 5 years inclusive of my year of holding ILR), and not the past 10 years (even though Home Office want me to present my work/study history to assess my good character)?

- Before my qualifying period started - in 2013 - I worked in Ireland for 5 months as part of a compulsory university placement (I have a letter from the university confirming that this was a compulsory part of my course and I was enrolled as a full-time student in the UK all along). I would go home for weekends during that time, as I live in Northern Ireland, but it still was full-time employment. Then I completed further 6 months of placement in the UK. I assume that I should present my UK-based placement because I was employed and paid tax etc., but should I list my placement in Ireland as well if it was technically just part of my full-time study? I don't want to shoot myself in the foot by disclosing irrelevant information, but I don't want to hide information from Home Office either...

Thanks in advance for advice!