ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

SPOUCE VISA KEEP MY PASSPORT

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé/e | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

Mashimar
Newly Registered
Russia

SPOUCE VISA KEEP MY PASSPORT

Post by Mashimar » Mon Aug 05, 2019 5:42 pm

Hi there.

Sorry if writing to the wrong section, but need some advice.

In May I have applied for a settlement visa (I am from Russia, husband is British) from my home country. Because the process is long I chose to keep my passport to allow me to travel and see my husband in Europe while waiting for the decision.

Last Friday I got a call from the visa centre asking me to bring my passport. They did not tell me that visa is ready or decision is done, just the fact that uk immigration requires my passport. Therefore, I have some questions:

- does it mean that technically the decision is made and visa centre is now awaiting for the visa sticker to put in my passport?
- do they still require to bring passport if the refuse visa? I could not find any information about brining passport if visa will be refused. If it is refused, UKVI would just send supporting documents back, put refusal info in their system, but they do not need my passport to put any stamps. They got all info. On the GOV website it says:

‘If visa is refused Your passport will be returned, if it was kept as part of your application”. But technically my passport is not kept as a part of my application as I did not submit while going to the visa centre first time.

- are there other reasons why UKVI my request my passport to be resubmitted after I decided to keep my passport with me?

I personally do not see any other options why UKVI needs my passport because technically it is kept at the visa centre, they have all information about my passport and travel history in their system. I hope for the best and there will be a sticker inside it, but because the visa centre did not give me a clear answer why I have to resubmit passport - i am confused and worry a lot.

Please if someone can tell me and make my mind clear and calm. Thanks

Jaune08
Mexico

Re: SPOUCE VISA KEEP MY PASSPORT

Post by Jaune08 » Mon Aug 05, 2019 6:26 pm

Hey! I think you're worrying too much, you may receive good news soon!
Mashimar wrote:
Mon Aug 05, 2019 5:42 pm
I personally do not see any other options why UKVI needs my passport because technically it is kept at the visa centre, they have all information about my passport and travel history in their system.
When you choose the service "keep my passport during the application", they normally scan your passport to have all your travel information (or you can upload your passport yourself). Did any of these scenarios happen in your case?

As you have applied outside the UK and they have your travel details, the most plausible reason is that they require your passport now to stick the vignette on. If they have rejected your visa, it doesn't make sense to ask for your passport.

Have you handed over your passport already? Good luck if so!

Mashimar
Newly Registered
Russia

Post by Mashimar » Mon Aug 05, 2019 6:54 pm

Yes, They scanned my passport when I was submitting biometric data. Plus all my travel info is in my application form.

I gave my passport today, asked again about the reason, did not get any answer much. Probably, visa centre people are instructed to be as neutral as possible ( and make people worry a lot)

I think my main worry is just that when visa centre did not give clear reason why I had to bring passport as usually people receive an email “decision is made, please bring your passport”. I just had a call and was told that UKVI wants my physical passport. Thanks anyway for the help, will update as soon as possible once getting my passport back:)

seagul
Diamond Member
Mood:

Post by seagul » Mon Aug 05, 2019 8:25 pm

Asking again for depositing the passport isn't a sign of success rather its equally needed on refusal too where visa authorities leave some refusal mark/reference number on it. But I wish you get the visa.
The opinion expressed as above is neither a professional advice nor contesting/competing to other member's opinion/advice.

Mashimar
Newly Registered
Russia

Post by Mashimar » Tue Aug 06, 2019 3:17 am

I hope it is not for the refusal.

The thing is I once have been refused visa before. Same Spouse visa, did not meet financial requirements (other things were totally fine). Back then my passport was kept from the beginning of the application and I saw zero stamps/reference numbers put in my passport. As far as I got the passport is always kept in the visa centre. So they either put a visa in it, or just send back if refused.

hope for the best.

Fizzy513
Mood:
Afghanistan

Post by Fizzy513 » Thu Aug 08, 2019 11:50 am

Mashimar wrote:
Tue Aug 06, 2019 3:17 am

The thing is I once have been refused visa before. Same Spouse visa, did not meet financial requirements (other things were totally fine). Back then my passport was kept from the beginning of the application and I saw zero stamps/reference numbers put in my passport. As far as I got the passport is always kept in the visa centre. So they either put a visa in it, or just send back if refused.

hope for the best.
Hi, Hopefully it is all good news. How long has the process been for you? keep us updated. Thanks

Mashimar
Newly Registered
Russia

Post by Mashimar » Thu Aug 08, 2019 1:23 pm

Fizzy513 wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2019 11:50 am
Mashimar wrote:

hope for the best.
Hi, Hopefully it is all good news. How long has the process been for you? keep us updated. Thanks
I made my application on May 14, same week I went to submit my biometric data in the visa centre. However, we only sent documents on May 31 (basically there was an issue with my husband’s company tax return due to HMRC confused dates so had to figure out quickly + plus we were double checking all other documents), I think UKVI updated that they got all docs in a week after, so I feel they started review my application probably since the middle of June. last time I had an email stating that my application needed further review (due to finance issues) which leaded to the refusal. This time no emails were sent. Usually when they send this kind of letter - no good news.

The other thing that I feel my passport will be always at the visa centre is that last time I opted out my passport to be delivered by the courier (DHL) and the visa worker put my passport into DHL envelop and put only my home address, which leads me to the conclusion it never left visa centre, was just sitting in the office waiting to be delivered back. This time the visa worker just took my passport, did not scan it, just put on the computer that I resubmitted my passport and that’s it. Means that my passport is in the visa centre and people are now waiting for ‘further instructions’.

Will keep you updated!

Jaune08
Mexico

Post by Jaune08 » Thu Aug 08, 2019 2:27 pm

Mashimar wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2019 1:23 pm
The other thing that I feel my passport will be always at the visa centre is that last time I opted out my passport to be delivered by the courier (DHL) and the visa worker put my passport into DHL envelop and put only my home address, which leads me to the conclusion it never left visa centre, was just sitting in the office waiting to be delivered back. This time the visa worker just took my passport, did not scan it, just put on the computer that I resubmitted my passport and that’s it. Means that my passport is in the visa centre and people are now waiting for ‘further instructions’.
I don't know in other countries, but at least in Mexico this is exactly how it's done. When I went to provide my biometrics for my visa, I spoke to the chief at VFS as I had many questions about how they process my visa. They assured me that my passport is always kept at the visa centre. When Home Office in Sheffield approves the visa, they sent an email to another country to print out the vignette. Colombia, another Latin American country, does act as the hub for latin American applications. Here, the visas/vignettes are printed and sent to their respective applicants in their home countries.

In resume, my passport never leaves my country and, if the visa is granted, another country will print out the vignette. At least that's how it works in Latin America, according to the chief at VFS Mexico.

Mashimar
Newly Registered
Russia

Post by Mashimar » Thu Aug 08, 2019 3:33 pm

Jaune08 wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2019 2:27 pm
Mashimar wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2019 1:23 pm
I don't know in other countries, but at least in Mexico this is exactly how it's done. When I went to provide my biometrics for my visa, I spoke to the chief at VFS as I had many questions about how they process my visa. They assured me that my passport is always kept at the visa centre. When Home Office in Sheffield approves the visa, they sent an email to another country to print out the vignette. Colombia, another Latin American country, does act as the hub for latin American applications. Here, the visas/vignettes are printed and sent to their respective applicants in their home countries.

In resume, my passport never leaves my country and, if the visa is granted, another country will print out the vignette. At least that's how it works in Latin America, according to the chief at VFS Mexico.
Yes, same in Russia. Nobody sends my passport to the UK or to British embassy in Russia (there are only two left, where I have applied - we no longer have it, only the visa centre). It is always in the visa centre.
Do you know if the Sheffield department sends the email about the visa directly to the visa centre or they first contact the embassy and then transfer to visa centre? Just curious.

Jaune08
Mexico

Post by Jaune08 » Thu Aug 08, 2019 5:17 pm

Mashimar wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2019 3:33 pm
Do you know if the Sheffield department sends the email about the visa directly to the visa centre or they first contact the embassy and then transfer to visa centre? Just curious.
Mmmm, good question. I assume that in my home country, authorities in Sheffield may contact directly to the visa centre rather the embassy. At least in Mexico, all visa regards (applications and public information) are exclusively managed by VFS. The British embassy here doesn't have any authority upon this particular point (don't know the reasons though).

I think that in case of applications from Russia, Sheffield may contact directly to VFS too.

I hope you get your vignette soon and keep us posted, please!

AmazonianX
Respected Guru

Post by AmazonianX » Fri Aug 09, 2019 1:51 am

Just to ask on behalf of. After submitting spouse visa application and using the keep my passport option, can the applicant( due to knowing that response for spouse visa application takes long) then apply for a visit visa to enable him visit the UK to be with his pregnant wife?
He has good travel history to the UK before and financial records are OK.
Is there any point of law in the immigration rules that may be adverse to this?

Jaune08
Mexico

Post by Jaune08 » Fri Aug 09, 2019 4:45 am

AmazonianX wrote:
Fri Aug 09, 2019 1:51 am
Just to ask on behalf of. After submitting spouse visa application and using the keep my passport option, can the applicant( due to knowing that response for spouse visa application takes long) then apply for a visit visa to enable him visit the UK to be with his pregnant wife?
He has good travel history to the UK before and financial records are OK.
Is there any point of law in the immigration rules that may be adverse to this?
Someone has asked the exact same question on other thread, but I couldn't find it anywhere. I've read that travelling to the UK while processing a settlement visa can invalidate or negatively affect the current application, as it might be taken as "intention to overstay". Don't quote me on that, as I am not entirely sure.

But what I do know, it's that you CAN'T submit two different visas to enter to UK at the same time, it's one or the other, as the 1st will be voided by the application of the 2nd one.

AmazonianX
Respected Guru

Post by AmazonianX » Fri Aug 09, 2019 5:03 am

Thanks Jaune08, can you refer me to where you read it.
Need to get a premise or rule and or persons with experience on this.
CR001, Casa, Seagul, Vinny awaiting yours please, thanks.

Mashimar
Newly Registered
Russia

Post by Mashimar » Thu Aug 15, 2019 3:45 pm

Fizzy513 wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2019 11:50 am
Mashimar wrote:

hope for the best.
Small update: my husband received all supporting documents. So far we did not get any updates about the visa. But as far as I understand UKVI sent all supporting documents back same time as it was notified I gave my passport to the visa centre. Hope for good news very soon!

Jaune08
Mexico

Post by Jaune08 » Thu Aug 15, 2019 5:30 pm

Mashimar wrote:
Thu Aug 15, 2019 3:45 pm
Small update: my husband received all supporting documents. So far we did not get any updates about the visa. But as far as I understand UKVI sent all supporting documents back same time as it was notified I gave my passport to the visa centre. Hope for good news very soon!
Sometimes, there are small variations on the visa process. For example, sending an email to notify the decision instead of a letter, sending all the supporting documents + the visa at the same time, sending 1st the supporting documents and then the visa, etc.

Hope you will get news soon!!! :)

Mashimar
Newly Registered
Russia

Post by Mashimar » Thu Aug 15, 2019 5:50 pm

Jaune08 wrote:
Thu Aug 15, 2019 5:30 pm
Mashimar wrote:
Sometimes, there are small variations on the visa process. For example, sending an email to notify the decision instead of a letter, sending all the supporting documents + the visa at the same time, sending 1st the supporting documents and then the visa, etc.

I hope too! The waiting, with the fact it is clear they made a decision - is the worst! I checked tracking number on the envelope with documents and it is clear it was sent this week, maybe Tuesday (it’s 1-3 days delivery service).
Last year I got an email with the refusal on 11/09 and my passport was only returned to me from the visa centre on 17/10! It took UKVI a month to notify visa centre about the decision! This time it seems pretty quick, so hope tomorrow or next week good news to arrive.

It is a really funny situation because me and my husband are going to Italy on September 1 and literally the month before the holiday UKVI decided to ask for my passport :?

Fizzy513
Mood:
Afghanistan

Post by Fizzy513 » Tue Aug 27, 2019 8:45 am

Mashimar wrote:
Thu Aug 15, 2019 5:50 pm
Jaune08 wrote:
Thu Aug 15, 2019 5:30 pm
Mashimar wrote:

I hope too! The waiting, with the fact it is clear they made a decision - is the worst! I checked tracking number on the envelope with documents and it is clear it was sent this week, maybe Tuesday (it’s 1-3 days delivery service).
Last year I got an email with the refusal on 11/09 and my passport was only returned to me from the visa centre on 17/10! It took UKVI a month to notify visa centre about the decision! This time it seems pretty quick, so hope tomorrow or next week good news to arrive.

It is a really funny situation because me and my husband are going to Italy on September 1 and literally the month before the holiday UKVI decided to ask for my passport :?

Hi I hope you are well.

Any update regarding the visa status?

Mashimar
Newly Registered
Russia

Post by Mashimar » Thu Aug 29, 2019 11:19 am

There is a small update - the decision was made but I do not know the outcome neither do not have passport in my hands. I contacted UKVI - which was really useless and only managed to escalate my enquiry further to find out when I would be able to get my passport back.

So far I know the timeline

2 august - was asked to bring my passport to visa centre
5 august - I submitted my passport
6 august - APPLICATION WAS UPDATED TO ‘DECISION MADE’
14 august - documents were sent back by UKVI
15 - husband received documents

So far that’s it. I have not seen any other news from UKVI since. I hope for the good outcome since the decision made STRAIGHT AFTER I submitted my passport.

Last year when they refused me a visa I was sent an email that my application is not straightforward and it might take extra time for them to review (it was august 22nd) and September 11 I got an email with the refusal and reasons for that (however, the letter with the refusal had a date 22 august). And I think after that they send all documents back. In this case I have good thoughts as all documents are correct, everything is fine and in order, the only issue is that i was refused before but just due to financial reasons - and now they are all perfect and meet all requirements.

So far no scary emails that the application is taking longer to review neither refusal letters. Really hope for the best, but definitely not going to Italy as tomorrow is Friday - the last day before Italy I can hear any news and collect the passport:)

Fizzy513
Mood:
Afghanistan

Post by Fizzy513 » Thu Aug 29, 2019 11:45 am

Mashimar wrote:
Thu Aug 29, 2019 11:19 am
There is a small update - the decision was made but I do not know the outcome neither do not have passport in my hands. I contacted UKVI - which was really useless and only managed to escalate my enquiry further to find out when I would be able to get my passport back.

So far that’s it. I have not seen any other news from UKVI since. I hope for the good outcome since the decision made STRAIGHT AFTER I submitted my passport.

Last year when they refused me a visa I was sent an email that my application is not straightforward and it might take extra time for them to review (it was august 22nd) and September 11 I got an email with the refusal and reasons for that (however, the letter with the refusal had a date 22 august). And I think after that they send all documents back. In this case I have good thoughts as all documents are correct, everything is fine and in order, the only issue is that i was refused before but just due to financial reasons - and now they are all perfect and meet all requirements.

So far no scary emails that the application is taking longer to review neither refusal letters. Really hope for the best, but definitely not going to Italy as tomorrow is Friday - the last day before Italy I can hear any news and collect the passport:)
Hi Thanks for the update. I really hope it is all good news for you. I'm sure everything will be fine this time round for you.

Did they call you or send you an email when they asked you to bring the passport to the visa centre? How are you getting these updates? did you receive emails. Have you paid extra to be notified at each stage as I cannot see any change is status. I have only received email saying its being prepared for consideration. 40th working day today and still no call to take the passport to visa centre.

I'm sorry to hear about Italy. But hopefully once its all approved you can go to many holidays together.

Mashimar
Newly Registered
Russia

Post by Mashimar » Thu Aug 29, 2019 1:10 pm

Fizzy513 wrote:
Thu Aug 29, 2019 11:45 am
Mashimar wrote:

Hi Thanks for the update. I really hope it is all good news for you. I'm sure everything will be fine this time round for you.

Did they call you or send you an email when they asked you to bring the passport to the visa centre? How are you getting these updates? did you receive emails. Have you paid extra to be notified at each stage as I cannot see any change is status. I have only received email saying its being prepared for consideration. 40th working day today and still no call to take the passport to visa centre.

I'm sorry to hear about Italy. But hopefully once its all approved you can go to many holidays together.
I got a call from the visa centre directly saying that UKVI wants my passport. Maybe they usually send an email, but my Russian visa centre decided to call me first (probably would be easier and faster). After my husband received documents, I decided to contact UKVI directly, you know where you NEED TO PAY TO WRITE AN EMAIL. I wrote that I need a clear reason for taking my passport and if the decision was made. After that got a response about when the decision was made (but no outcome since it is just a general enquiry and they can’t see full application) and I asked to escalate my inquiry to the relevant department to find out when I will get my passport back.

As far as I understand they should notify if the application review will take longer due to some problems (in my case last year were only problems with money support). This year we have not received anything similar (only that they got my application). Hope for all best since it was so quick for them to make a decision, do not think UKVI asked visa centre to do something extra with my passport

Fizzy513
Mood:
Afghanistan

Post by Fizzy513 » Thu Aug 29, 2019 2:08 pm

Mashimar wrote:
Thu Aug 29, 2019 1:10 pm
Fizzy513 wrote:
Mashimar wrote:

I got a call from the visa centre directly saying that UKVI wants my passport. Maybe they usually send an email, but my Russian visa centre decided to call me first (probably would be easier and faster). After my husband received documents, I decided to contact UKVI directly, you know where you NEED TO PAY TO WRITE AN EMAIL. I wrote that I need a clear reason for taking my passport and if the decision was made. After that got a response about when the decision was made (but no outcome since it is just a general enquiry and they can’t see full application) and I asked to escalate my inquiry to the relevant department to find out when I will get my passport back.

As far as I understand they should notify if the application review will take longer due to some problems (in my case last year were only problems with money support). This year we have not received anything similar (only that they got my application). Hope for all best since it was so quick for them to make a decision, do not think UKVI asked visa centre to do something extra with my passport
Thank you for replying. So my partner should either receive call or email to also take passport. How long does it usually take?

How many days has it been for you overall? Has it not exceeded the 60 working days. I think it will all be fine hopefully and visa is approved.

Keep me updated as I want to know how long it takes once you submit passport?

Mashimar
Newly Registered
Russia

Post by Mashimar » Thu Aug 29, 2019 3:44 pm

I honestly do not know how long it takes, but based on the fact it is almost a month since my passport is in the visa centre - LONG.

It has been around 60 days until they made a decision. As far as I am aware, the period starts when they RECEIVE AND START reviewing, not when you submitted online application, so in my case it stared somewhere in June. Honestly, i do not know when I got an email saying they received and prepare to review the application as my visa agent put his email to track the progress. Last year i got the email a week after I submitted my biometric and sent documents. So maybe it took them even less than 60 days to review but now takes ages to bring passport back. Really do not know how their system works inside UKVI office that they are so long with that.

Mashimar
Newly Registered
Russia

Post by Mashimar » Tue Sep 03, 2019 6:04 am

Fizzy513 wrote:
Thu Aug 29, 2019 2:08 pm
Mashimar wrote:
Fizzy513 wrote:
Mashimar wrote:

Thank you for replying. So my partner should either receive call or email to also take passport. How long does it usually take?

How many days has it been for you overall? Has it not exceeded the 60 working days. I think it will all be fine hopefully and visa is approved.

UPDATE

I just got a call from the visa centre to pick up my passport. on my way now, do not know the decision yet. AS IT TURNED OUT, the passport was ready to collect SINCE 8 AUGUST.

so the timeline is - 2 August - was asked for passport, 5 august - submitted passport, 6 - decision made, 8 - ready to collect. do not know why it took them so long to notify me. they told me that they sent an automatic mail but nether me or my agent got it. will let you know the decision

Fizzy513
Mood:
Afghanistan

Post by Fizzy513 » Tue Sep 03, 2019 9:11 am

Mashimar wrote:
Tue Sep 03, 2019 6:04 am
Fizzy513 wrote:
Thu Aug 29, 2019 2:08 pm
Mashimar wrote:
Fizzy513 wrote:

UPDATE

I just got a call from the visa centre to pick up my passport. on my way now, do not know the decision yet. AS IT TURNED OUT, the passport was ready to collect SINCE 8 AUGUST.

so the timeline is - 2 August - was asked for passport, 5 august - submitted passport, 6 - decision made, 8 - ready to collect. do not know why it took them so long to notify me. they told me that they sent an automatic mail but nether me or my agent got it. will let you know the decision

Good luck, thanks for keeping me updated. That is so bad, I keep hearing stories where they forget to contact. Does that mean the dates for travel won't be valid for long now since it was available for collection 8th August. Cause of them not contacting you have missed holiday to Italy. i hope its all good news.

Mashimar
Newly Registered
Russia

Post by Mashimar » Tue Sep 03, 2019 11:47 am

GOT VISA!

as it turned out my visa was already given me on August 6, but somehow nobody notify me! I am flying to the UK on September 5 - last day for me to arrive to UK, and next day going to post office to collect the card. I am so happy, but also so disappointed that nobody wrote me anything about visa. It was just in thenvisa centre for almost a month.

If the visa dates expire, you need to contact UKVI to get a new sticker (additional cost)