ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Time scale for appealing a decline?

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

Lisa F
South Africa

Extra docs requested for citizenship app??

Post by Lisa F » Thu Apr 18, 2019 1:28 pm

Help please!

In the process of applying for British citizenship for my daughter. She's South African, born in SA, to a SA father. I'm her mom and am British by descent. She has lived in the UK with me for 18 years now and has had ILR for pretty much that same time (she is now 20). Her SA passport expired in 2016 and we didn't renew it as we knew we would be pursuing citizenship.

The application and UKVCAS appointment all went fine but then yesterday we received a letter asking for passport/travel documents/other evidence of UK residence from the date her passport expired. Firstly, I find this confusing as how would she leave the country without a passport? But never mind.

So now I'm trying to figure out what evidence to send and it's a bit of a mess. For part of the time she was at college/living at home, but after that she had a series of temp/short term jobs as a chef. She's awful with paperwork and didn't keep much in the way of wage slips etc. To add to this, she is now studying privately (ie. not through an official establishment) and is funded by myself (so not receiving benefits of any kind OR paying NI). I am thinking that the best possible evidence she can send is the last 3 years worth of her bank statements. They will show constant use of her card in this country, plus salary for the periods she was employed. Does anyone know if this will be enough?

For interest's sake, here is her current application timeline:
Lisa F wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2019 1:31 pm
Eligibility criteria: 18 years resident + 18 years ILR (granted as a minor with British (by descent) mother)
Language Criteria: B1 & Life In UK Test
Nationality: South African
Method of application: Online & UKVCAS
Date of application: 6 Feb 2019
Payment method: Debit Card
Date of acknowledgement: 6 Feb 2019
Date of debit of fees: 6 Feb 2019
Date of Biometric letter issued: N/A
Date of biometric letter received: N/A
Date Biometrics & Documents Upload: 19 Feb 2019 @ UKVCAS Cambridge

Additional documents requested (due to passport expiring 2016): 17 April 2019

Date on Approval letter:
Date of receipt of approval:
Date of receipt of ceremony letter:
Date of Ceremony:
Date of Passport Application:
Date of debit of fees:
Date Passport to be received:

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Extra docs requested for citizenship app??

Post by CR001 » Thu Apr 18, 2019 1:32 pm

The application and UKVCAS appointment all went fine but then yesterday we received a letter asking for passport/travel documents/other evidence of UK residence from the date her passport expired. Firstly, I find this confusing as how would she leave the country without a passport? But never mind.
Some people have two passports and HO wants to ensure that she has not been absent from the UK since her SA passport expired, which is fair as it could mean she has exceeded the absence limit or lived abroad (making her ineligible) and coming back only to apply for citizenship (yes, you would be surprised what people try).
So now I'm trying to figure out what evidence to send and it's a bit of a mess. For part of the time she was at college/living at home, but after that she had a series of temp/short term jobs as a chef. She's awful with paperwork and didn't keep much in the way of wage slips etc. To add to this, she is now studying privately (ie. not through an official establishment) and is funded by myself (so not receiving benefits of any kind OR paying NI). I am thinking that the best possible evidence she can send is the last 3 years worth of her bank statements. They will show constant use of her card in this country, plus salary for the periods she was employed. Does anyone know if this will be enough?
Letters from School/Employers
HMRC Employment record
Bank statements
Any employment letters
P60 or payslips
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

Lisa F
South Africa

Post by Lisa F » Thu Apr 18, 2019 1:35 pm

Thank you! We're having a stressful couple of days here! :roll: :lol:

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Thu Apr 18, 2019 1:36 pm

Lisa F wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2019 1:35 pm
Thank you! We're having a stressful couple of days here! :roll: :lol:
:D :D
Char (CR001 not Casa)
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Thu Apr 18, 2019 1:37 pm

Pity you didn't think to register her as British before she turned 18 or years ago, after she had been in the UK for 3 years.
Char (CR001 not Casa)

Lisa F
South Africa

Post by Lisa F » Thu Apr 18, 2019 2:09 pm

I would have liked to but the money was a bit tight until recently. :( Still, better later than never!

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Thu Apr 18, 2019 2:57 pm

She could have applied once she had been resident for 2 years, it was substantially cheaper back in the day. She would have then remained a SA citizen as the loss of citizenship only applies to 18 and over.

As you say, better late than never.
Char (CR001 not Casa)

Lisa F
South Africa

Anyone had to send extra documents? Did it delay the process massively?

Post by Lisa F » Tue May 21, 2019 2:48 pm

We're in the process of applying for citizenship for my 20 year old daughter. She's South African but has lived in the UK since she was two. Her South African passport expired in 2016 but, because we had no plans to travel and knew we'd be doing the citizenship application, we didn't renew it. When we started the application the expired passport was accepted but we received a letter two months after application asking for proof that she was in the UK during 2016 and the present. We supplied them with bank statements showing constant activity etc. but haven't heard anything since.

I'm just wondering if anyone has been in a similar situation and if it impacted their application or substantially delayed it?

The stress is doing my head in! :lol:

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Anyone had to send extra documents? Did it delay the process massively?

Post by CR001 » Tue May 21, 2019 3:30 pm

It will likely cause a minor delay.

You should have ideally submitted more than bank statements though, such as letters from school or college, GP letter, any bills she has etc etc.
Char (CR001 not Casa)

Lisa F
South Africa

Re: Anyone had to send extra documents? Did it delay the process massively?

Post by Lisa F » Thu Jun 13, 2019 12:35 pm

I think our postman is getting sick of being rugby-tackled every morning!

This wait is killing me. I honestly thought her application would be the most straight-forward ever: lived in the UK and had leave to remain for 18 years, mother a British citizen . . .

Lisa F
South Africa

Application refused - please help

Post by Lisa F » Wed Jun 26, 2019 5:10 pm

Hi guys, worst news ever, received a letter today to say that my daughter's citizenship application has been refused.

For context, here is our timeline:
Lisa F wrote:
Eligibility criteria: 19 years resident + 19 years ILR (granted as a minor with British (by descent) mother)

Additional documents posted overnight recorded: 23 April 2019

Date on Approval letter: Waiting
Date of receipt of approval: Waiting
Date of receipt of ceremony letter: Waiting
Date of Ceremony: Waiting
Date of Passport Application: Waiting
Date of debit of fees: Waiting
Date Passport to be received: Waiting
The letter we received today says that the application has been refused due to US NOT REPLYING TO A REQUEST FOR ADDITIONAL DOCUMENTS OR PROVIDING THOSE ADDITIONAL DOCUMENTS! The documents we posted via recorded delivery on April 23rd!

What on earth do I do now? Who do I contact to challenge the decision because it's not us that's in the wrong here?? I do have proof of postage from the additional documents we sent plus the signature and name of the person who signed for them.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Application refused - please help

Post by CR001 » Wed Jun 26, 2019 5:21 pm

You will have to apply for a reconsideration in the relevant form and pay the fee. There is no set time limit that a reconsideration can take.
Char (CR001 not Casa)

Lisa F
South Africa

Post by Lisa F » Wed Jun 26, 2019 5:27 pm

Even if I have the proof that someone there signed for and accepted the documents I sent? How on earth is that fair? They are in the wrong, not us. We did everything they asked us to. :cry:

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Wed Jun 26, 2019 5:56 pm

Then write to the caseworker or department that sent you the letter.

Where did you send the documents exactly??

For whose attention did you mark it, ie the caseworker specifically and did you include your case reference number etc?

It might not have reached the caseworker dealing with your case.

Also, as your daughter is an adult, presumably she is addressing these issues and writing or responding to HO and not you.
Char (CR001 not Casa)

nasiaziz
Member of Standing

Post by nasiaziz » Wed Jun 26, 2019 8:46 pm

hi lisa could you please tel me if the letter which asked for additional documents from you was it a signed for letter or normal second class letter sent to you by home office!
thanks

Lisa F
South Africa

Post by Lisa F » Thu Jun 27, 2019 10:40 am

CR001 wrote:
Wed Jun 26, 2019 5:56 pm
Where did you send the documents exactly??

For whose attention did you mark it, ie the caseworker specifically and did you include your case reference number etc?

It might not have reached the caseworker dealing with your case.
The documents were sent to the address given on the request letter. We included a cover letter which had the case workers name, case number etc on it but I don't think we put those on the actual envelope.
CR001 wrote:
Also, as your daughter is an adult, presumably she is addressing these issues and writing or responding to HO and not you.
All forms and letters etc are being done by her. She didn't have a clue how to go about the citizenship process though so we are walking her through the whole thing.
CR001 wrote:
Then write to the caseworker or department that sent you the letter.
Do you think we should try that, sending proof of postage and proof of it being signed for, before we go the route of using form NR?
nasiaziz wrote:
Wed Jun 26, 2019 8:46 pm
hi lisa could you please tel me if the letter which asked for additional documents from you was it a signed for letter or normal second class letter sent to you by home office!
thanks
It was just a normal letter. We didn't have to sign for anything.

nasiaziz
Member of Standing

Post by nasiaziz » Thu Jun 27, 2019 10:54 am

nasiaziz wrote:
Wed Jun 26, 2019 8:46 pm
thanks
It was just a normal letter. We didn't have to sign for anything.
[/quote]
hi thanks for responding could u tell me one last thing what was the date on the letter and when did u recieve it
thanks

Lisa F
South Africa

Post by Lisa F » Thu Jun 27, 2019 11:41 am

nasiaziz wrote:
Thu Jun 27, 2019 10:54 am
hi thanks for responding could u tell me one last thing what was the date on the letter and when did u recieve it
thanks
We received it 3 days after the date on the letter.

Lisa F
South Africa

Post by Lisa F » Fri Aug 02, 2019 3:56 pm

I am so angry I don't have words. Additional documents requested and sent in April. Refusal letter received in June due to them "not receiving" the requested documents, despite the fact that we have solid proof of delivery and them being signed for well within the time limit. Letter to acknowledge they received these documents then received a month AFTER refusal. Now we have to pay an extra £300+ to appeal THEIR error. Actually, angry doesn't even BEGIN to cover how I feel!!!

Lisa F wrote:
Eligibility criteria: 19 years resident + 19 years ILR (granted as a minor with British (by descent) mother)

Additional documents posted overnight recorded: 23 April 2019

Refusal Letter received: 24 June 2019
Letter arrived acknowledging additional documents received (seriously!?): 23 July 2019
Letter of appeal, with supporting documents, posted recorded: 1 August 2019

Date on Approval letter: Waiting
Date of receipt of approval: Waiting
Date of receipt of ceremony letter: Waiting
Date of Ceremony: Waiting
Date of Passport Application: Waiting
Date of debit of fees: Waiting
Date Passport to be received: Waiting

Lisa F
South Africa

Time scale for appealing a decline?

Post by Lisa F » Fri Aug 30, 2019 8:37 am

My daughter's application was refused due to them claiming they didn't receive requested paperwork in time. They did and we can easily prove it, so that isn't a problem, but we've now received a letter acknowledging the appeal but saying they can't give any idea of time scale for the process.

I was just wondering if anyone had been through this and had any idea of how long it could take?

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Time scale for appealing a decline?

Post by CR001 » Fri Aug 30, 2019 8:55 am

Lisa F wrote:
Fri Aug 30, 2019 8:37 am
My daughter's application was refused due to them claiming they didn't receive requested paperwork in time. They did and we can easily prove it, so that isn't a problem, but we've now received a letter acknowledging the appeal but saying they can't give any idea of time scale for the process.

I was just wondering if anyone had been through this and had any idea of how long it could take?
Can you please keep all questions regarding this issue in one topic!!

You cannot 'appeal' a refused citizenship application, it is not an immigration application. There is only the option of reconsideration with the fee that must be paid and the prescribed form completed.

Reconsiderations have no timeframe. It will take as long as HO deems it needs to take. Usually a few months based on other posts.
Char (CR001 not Casa)

aman90
Diamond Member

Post by aman90 » Fri Aug 30, 2019 8:55 am

Hey.. I know this is really frustrating.
Have you considered re applying and complaining abt their service standards later and ask for a refund..

Lisa F
South Africa

Post by Lisa F » Fri Aug 30, 2019 10:09 am

CR001 wrote:
Fri Aug 30, 2019 8:55 am
Can you please keep all questions regarding this issue in one topic!!
Yup, sorry, will do!
CR001 wrote:
You cannot 'appeal' a refused citizenship application, it is not an immigration application. There is only the option of reconsideration with the fee that must be paid and the prescribed form completed.
Yep, that's what we've done. Form has been sent, fee paid, acknowlegement received. I'm sorry for using the wrong wording, I'm not exactly an expert in this!
CR001 wrote:
Reconsiderations have no timeframe. It will take as long as HO deems it needs to take. Usually a few months based on other posts.
Thank you. That was what I was asking.

Lisa F
South Africa

Fighting a decline

Post by Lisa F » Wed Sep 25, 2019 2:32 pm

Good news. Daughter received a phone call today from the HO. They admitted the error was on their side and will be reviewing her application!

princewmk1
Newly Registered

Post by princewmk1 » Mon Jan 06, 2020 6:17 pm

Any update to your daughter case Lisa? I am in the same situation they supporting document all sent and all received on time according to the Special delivery barcode track and trace but letter came a few days letter saying they have not received the support document. I refuse to pay again. I am on my way to see the MP tomorrow. This is crazy and ridiculous from the HO. I have made a complaint and wrote back with my proof of delivery copies inside.
Let us know what's your daughter situation as am monitoring mine. thanks