ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Advice on country for a quick marriage

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé/e | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

vinchenzo86
Newly Registered

Advice on country for a quick marriage

Post by vinchenzo86 » Wed Aug 28, 2019 9:43 am

Morning Everyone,

I was wondering if anyone can give me and my partner some advice. She is currently studying in the UK on a student visitor visa. She sadly needs to go back on the 23rd of September to Mexico as her course has ended and that is when her Visa finishes.

Can anyone recommend the best places to go for a quick last minute wedding? We have the basic documents such as birth certificates and passports.

Please any help I would be really greatful

Zerubbabel
Respected Guru
Mood:

Re: Advice on country for a quick marriage

Post by Zerubbabel » Wed Aug 28, 2019 1:00 pm

Morning

Sadly there is no concept of quick marriage in the UK.

From this link:
https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/famil ... g-married/

In England and Wales, 28 days notice must be given to the Register Office before the marriage can take place. Both partners must be resident for seven days in England or Wales before notice is given. A notice must state where the marriage is to take place. There is a fee for giving notice.
Can be extended to 70 days if one of the partners is subject to immigration control:
The registrar must provide the Home Office with certain information, including the marital status and nationality of the person. The Home Office may wish to carry out investigations to ensure that the proposed marriage is not a 'sham'. It may extend the notice period to 70 days in order to carry out these investigations.
Then, there is no automatic immigration benefit from getting married. Other conditions have to be met. Do you work yourself? What's you annual salary?

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Wed Aug 28, 2019 1:03 pm

Zerubbabel wrote:
Wed Aug 28, 2019 1:00 pm
Morning

Sadly there is no concept of quick marriage in the UK.

From this link:
https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/famil ... g-married/

In England and Wales, 28 days notice must be given to the Register Office before the marriage can take place. Both partners must be resident for seven days in England or Wales before notice is given. A notice must state where the marriage is to take place. There is a fee for giving notice.
Can be extended to 70 days if one of the partners is subject to immigration control:
The registrar must provide the Home Office with certain information, including the marital status and nationality of the person. The Home Office may wish to carry out investigations to ensure that the proposed marriage is not a 'sham'. It may extend the notice period to 70 days in order to carry out these investigations.
Then, there is no automatic immigration benefit from getting married. Other conditions have to be met. Do you work yourself? What's you annual salary?
The users previous topics suggest the girlfriend was being sponsored for a Tier 2 General and was awaiting a CoS. This might have fallen through and OP trying to find alternative option for her to remain in the UK.

OP has not been clear on what their own immigration status is in any of the topics.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

vinchenzo86
Newly Registered

Post by vinchenzo86 » Fri Aug 30, 2019 7:43 pm

Hi,

My girlfriend was hoping to be sponsored by a company, but due to the changes in salary requirements to 40 cos points it looks like it is all going to fall through after the company going through the process to sponsor her since February.

I am British and she is Mexican. We meet all of the requirements (salary ect) for a spousal visa, but would need to find somewhere that we can get married rather quickly as her current student visa is running out soon.

Any advice on countries where we would be able to elope in the next month would be much appreciated as we do not want to lose eachother.

Regards
Vinny

physicskate
Diamond Member

Post by physicskate » Fri Aug 30, 2019 8:29 pm

vinchenzo86 wrote:
Fri Aug 30, 2019 7:43 pm

Any advice on countries where we would be able to elope in the next month would be much appreciated as we do not want to lose eachother.
USA might fit the bill... New York? Vegas?

Zerubbabel
Respected Guru
Mood:

Post by Zerubbabel » Fri Aug 30, 2019 9:17 pm

physicskate wrote:
Fri Aug 30, 2019 8:29 pm
vinchenzo86 wrote:
Fri Aug 30, 2019 7:43 pm

USA might fit the bill... New York? Vegas?
It doesn't work for them I think.

She is Mexican. So she needs a visa to travel to United States. What are her chances to get it knowing that she is in the UK on a visa expiring shortly?

seagul
Diamond Member
Mood:

Post by seagul » Fri Aug 30, 2019 9:36 pm

Quickest marriage more likely be possible in Mexico in op's case.
The opinion expressed as above is neither a professional advice nor contesting/competing to other member's opinion/advice.

Happymummy
Mood:
Kenya

Post by Happymummy » Sat Aug 31, 2019 6:50 am

You could try and find out more about marriages in Denmark...
vinchenzo86 wrote:
Wed Aug 28, 2019 9:43 am
Morning Everyone,

I was wondering if anyone can give me and my partner some advice. She is currently studying in the UK on a student visitor visa. She sadly needs to go back on the 23rd of September to Mexico as her course has ended and that is when her Visa finishes.

Can anyone recommend the best places to go for a quick last minute wedding? We have the basic documents such as birth certificates and passports.

Please any help I would be really greatful

Jaune08
Mexico

Post by Jaune08 » Sat Aug 31, 2019 6:57 am

Hey, I’m a Mexican married to a British. The way I see it, you only have two options:

1. Getting married in Las Vegas: As Mexicans, we need a visa to travel to USA. If she doesn’t currently have it, don’t even try to apply for one. At present, It’s getting really hard to get a visa.

2. Getting married in Mexico: that’s what I did. My husband and I got married in Mexico City, as it’s the easiest way to book a date at any city Hall + less requirements for foreign citizens.

This is a super short list of what we were asked to bring to prebook it:
  • -My Mexican passport and my husband’s British passport
    -Husband’s original British birth certificate + certified translation to Spanish from an Expert Translator (authorised by the Superior Court of Justice in Mexico City). It's easy to find, don't worry.
    -My Mexican Birth certificate.
    -The marriage form signed by both of us
    -Proof of residency in Mexico City (water or phone bill. I used my parents bills for example and it's fine).
    -My husband's landing card as a proof he entered legally to the country
    -Pass the prenup course: Once you prebook the appointment with the original documents and pay, you will have to attend to an 1hr prenup course, and you will either get a certificate or be registered as pass. Then, you will be able to attend to your definite date.
The marriage booking process took us 20 days to complete plus 2 weeks to get the marriage certificate issued.

What I recommend you is to get married in Mexico City and not in other state (otherwise, as British citizen, you will be required to go under medical tests + getting a certificate from the UK stating you are free to marry + translation). Also, tell your girlfriend to call to all the main city Halls in the city and kindly ask for the closest estimated date. That’s how I’ve found mine. Hope that helps.

Jaune08
Mexico

Post by Jaune08 » Sat Aug 31, 2019 7:02 am

Happymummy wrote:
Sat Aug 31, 2019 6:50 am
You could try and find out more about marriages in Denmark...
The government has recently changed and enforced their laws (in January 2019) as lots of foreigners were abusing of these fast tracks weddings, especially non-EEA. I was considering this as an option but I've found out that as Mexican, was way easier to go back to my country and get married there.

vinchenzo86
Newly Registered

Post by vinchenzo86 » Sun Sep 01, 2019 7:02 pm

Thank you all for the advice we really appreictae it 😊 we will be heading to the states to get married as she has all of the required visas to travel there.

I wish you all luck in the future, its a stressful process to stay with the person that you love.