ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Universal credit problem

Questions and discussions about claiming benefits while living and working in the UK

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

Kay201
Newly Registered
Mood:

Universal credit problem

Post by Kay201 » Thu Aug 22, 2019 11:49 pm

Can some one please help me i am in a sticky situation i am british born in the uk and so is my son buy my partner has no public funds i have claimed universal credit and which i have declared my husbunds income in it and also my income they have taken his gross income in to account when it is only sappoz to be net income as that is the law every1 they have said to me cause he is not entitled to public funds they will take groos income in to account which does not make sence as only net income should be taken in to account mine and my partners and they should give what ever they are sapoz to be give me as i am aloud to claim them taking his gross income in to account and mine is wrong and that is not the household income it is sapoz to be after net income i have spoken to many places and legal advice and every1 is saying they are doing wrong yes i need to declare his income but net as we have an accountant for him as his self employed. they are not addmitting to their mistake and now i am rent arrers cause of them.

Please tell me i am right as i have done my research and spoken to legal teams aswell and they said i am rght he does not get nothing as he has no public funds but they will need to take net income in to account of his not gross.

JB007
- thin ice -

Re: Universal credit problem

Post by JB007 » Fri Aug 23, 2019 8:37 pm

Kay201 wrote:
Thu Aug 22, 2019 11:49 pm
i need to declare his income but net as we have an accountant for him as his self employed. they are not addmitting to their mistake and now i am rent arrers cause of them.

Self-employment and Universal Credit

If you’re gainfully self-employed, your Universal Credit payment may be calculated using an assumed level of earnings, called a Minimum Income Floor.

It’s based on what an employed person on minimum wage would expect to earn in similar circumstances.

If you earn more than this, then your Universal Credit amount is based on your actual earnings.

If you earn less, the Minimum Income Floor is used to work out how much you can get. You may need to look for additional work to top up your income.

https://www.gov.uk/self-employment-and-universal-credit

Universal Credit is nothing like the old Tax Credit benefit, where a parent could declare a low income from SE and benefits topped up their wages.

JB007
- thin ice -

Post by JB007 » Sat Aug 24, 2019 10:23 am

Kay201 wrote:
Thu Aug 22, 2019 11:49 pm
and now i am rent arrers.
JB007 wrote:
Fri Aug 23, 2019 8:37 pm
Universal Credit is nothing like the old Tax Credit benefit, where a parent could declare a low income from SE and benefits topped up their wages.
The same with the old benefit called Housing Benefit - under the Welfare Reforms, there is no more declaring a very low income week after week and using Housing Benefit to top up their rent. The same with those who have a mortgage and ask benefits to pay the interest.

rednax
Newly Registered

Post by rednax » Tue Aug 27, 2019 8:57 pm

As a self employed person I have been told today that the maximum I am entitled to is £62 per week. The safety net is non existent. It breaks my heart that I am having to find a new home for my cats before I kill myself.

JB007
- thin ice -

Post by JB007 » Sat Aug 31, 2019 9:45 am

rednax wrote:
Tue Aug 27, 2019 8:57 pm
As a self employed person I have been told today that the maximum I am entitled to is £62 per week. The safety net is non existent. It breaks my heart that I am having to find a new home for my cats before I kill myself.
As advised in the link I put above, you could get a job to top up your income to support your self employment business. You had one year on low income benefits to get to a level where you could support yourself from your SE. You are prevented from starting another SE business and claiming low income benefits again, for 5 years.

You could ask a bank for a business loan based on your self employment business plan.

You could tell the benefits office that you are not gainfully self employed and that you are a job seeker, but you will be required to look for work and do everything a job seeker must do. Then use any income from your SE business as income to be decucted from your Universal Credit award. Universal Credit requires a monthly claim and the benefit money you are given will reflect your earnings that month. DWP might want to look at your SE books.