ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Non-EU citizen(Indian) with Germany with German Citizen

Immigration to European countries, don't post UK or Ireland related topics!

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

ChrisR19
Newly Registered
Mood:
India

Non-EU citizen(Indian) with Germany with German Citizen

Post by ChrisR19 » Fri Aug 30, 2019 10:52 am

Hi All. Looking for help & advice on Spouse reunification visa in Germany.
My partner and I are planning to get married soon (mostly we will do this in Denmark), and then I plan to move to Germany soon after.
I am an Indian citizen and she a German citizen, couple of months ago she moved back to Germany with a stable job & income/house etc etc..
Currently I am still in the middle east, and pursuing german language courses - current completed level A1.
Once I have obtained the Family/Spouse reunification visa to enter Germany.

1. How long is the visa granted for and how long can I stay on this visa status ? Will it be possible to apply/change to a residence visa status once in Germany - How long should this be ? I am a little confused about the process after arriving on the family reunification visa.

2. Can I immediately start working in Germany, once the residence visa is granted.Will my residence status allow me to have an employment work permit.
I am aware the employment market without good/business german knowledge is very difficult.

My plan is to work in a production line/factory/part time work etc for the first 1 year and simultaneously complete my german classes/study at least till a level of B2 C1 in this time. And then search for concrete career opportunities in my field once my german is up to business standard.
Any help and advise will be appreciated.
Thank you all in advance.

ALKB
Respected Guru
Germany

Re: Non-EU citizen(Indian) with Germany with German Citizen

Post by ALKB » Fri Aug 30, 2019 1:16 pm

ChrisR19 wrote:
Fri Aug 30, 2019 10:52 am
Hi All. Looking for help & advice on Spouse reunification visa in Germany.
My partner and I are planning to get married soon (mostly we will do this in Denmark), and then I plan to move to Germany soon after.
I am an Indian citizen and she a German citizen, couple of months ago she moved back to Germany with a stable job & income/house etc etc..
Currently I am still in the middle east, and pursuing german language courses - current completed level A1.
Once I have obtained the Family/Spouse reunification visa to enter Germany.

1. How long is the visa granted for and how long can I stay on this visa status ? Will it be possible to apply/change to a residence visa status once in Germany - How long should this be ? I am a little confused about the process after arriving on the family reunification visa.

2. Can I immediately start working in Germany, once the residence visa is granted.Will my residence status allow me to have an employment work permit.
I am aware the employment market without good/business german knowledge is very difficult.

My plan is to work in a production line/factory/part time work etc for the first 1 year and simultaneously complete my german classes/study at least till a level of B2 C1 in this time. And then search for concrete career opportunities in my field once my german is up to business standard.
Any help and advise will be appreciated.
Thank you all in advance.
Visas are granted for a maximum of 90 days. Once you arrive in Germany, register your residence, get on your wife's health insurance, gather all other required documents and go to the local Ausländerbehörde and apply for your spouse residence permit which includes an unrestricted work permit (employment and self-employment allowed). This will usually be valid for a year. After a year, you go back, show what you have been doing and whether your marriage is subsisting and if all is okay, you will probably be issued with a two year spouse permit.

Wait a second.

You are not married, yet - so the plan is: get a Schengen visa, get married in Denmark, return to your current country of residence and apply for the family reunification visa?
I am not a regulated immigration advisor. I am offering an opinion and not advice.

ChrisR19
Newly Registered
Mood:
India

Post by ChrisR19 » Fri Aug 30, 2019 1:45 pm

Thank you so much for your input. The information was excellent. Cleared my mind from major doubts.
I was under the understanding that you can be qualified for unrestricted work after you have a Permanent residence permit ( which is possible to get after 3 years of holding a Temporary permit - in this case of marriage ). Until you have a temporary residence permit you can stay but not allowed to work.

"You are not married, yet - so the plan is: get a Schengen visa, get married in Denmark, return to your current country of residence and apply for the family reunification visa? "
Ans : Yes, this is exactly the plan :)
I was very concerned about the part of the residence permit and unrestricted work permit.

Just for my knowledge, say I do all this am now in Germany,
Let's assume for example I do find a full time job.

- Does the employer have to do anything special because I am an non-EU citizen to give me an employment work contract visa and prove to the " Bundesagentur fur Arbeit " As in do I need a visa status change ?

Or is it just like a normal work contract I get between Employer and Employee ?
Sorry for being a little naive.
Thanks.

ALKB
Respected Guru
Germany

Post by ALKB » Fri Aug 30, 2019 3:22 pm

ChrisR19 wrote:
Fri Aug 30, 2019 1:45 pm
Thank you so much for your input. The information was excellent. Cleared my mind from major doubts.
I was under the understanding that you can be qualified for unrestricted work after you have a Permanent residence permit ( which is possible to get after 3 years of holding a Temporary permit - in this case of marriage ). Until you have a temporary residence permit you can stay but not allowed to work.
Not as the spouse of a German national. Were your spouse a non-EEA national with a conventional work permit in Germany (not BlueCard), you'd have to wait 2 years to apply for family reunification (because you married after your spouse moved to Germany) and your initial dependent residence permit would not permit you to work.
ChrisR19 wrote:
Fri Aug 30, 2019 1:45 pm
"You are not married, yet - so the plan is: get a Schengen visa, get married in Denmark, return to your current country of residence and apply for the family reunification visa? "
Ans : Yes, this is exactly the plan :)
I was very concerned about the part of the residence permit and unrestricted work permit.

Just for my knowledge, say I do all this am now in Germany,
Let's assume for example I do find a full time job.

- Does the employer have to do anything special because I am an non-EU citizen to give me an employment work contract visa and prove to the " Bundesagentur fur Arbeit " As in do I need a visa status change ?

Or is it just like a normal work contract I get between Employer and Employee ?
Sorry for being a little naive.
Thanks.
If you have received your spouse residence permit and you find a job, then there is no difference to an employment contract with a German national.

If you have a Schengen visa and marry in Denmark, you could also move to Germany right away and apply for the spouse permit in-country. The caseworker may be a bit disgruntled but (as long as nothing has changed very recently) it's possible. My husband and I did just that, the Berlin Ausländerbehörde did not bat an eye.

If you are degree educated, you may be able to get the 660 hour (600 hours language instruction, 60 hours German culture) integration course waived, but since it's highly subsidised and you are planning to learn German quickly, you may actually want to take advantage of this course.
I am not a regulated immigration advisor. I am offering an opinion and not advice.

ChrisR19
Newly Registered
Mood:
India

Post by ChrisR19 » Sat Aug 31, 2019 12:31 pm

Hi back, all sounds good. Yes, I could imagine the caseworker might be held at surprise. But I am least worried about it as we can prove our relationship before marriage (if needed emails, messages, pictures, family references, visas etc etc).. for over 10 years.
Yes, I am degree educated and yes I would defiantly be interested to take the integration course. Thanks for the information. I checked it's 1.95 eur/hr which is really awesome.
You have been a great help, thank you so very much. I wish you all the best in Berlin :)
So far I have no more questions, and if I have more doubts I come back :)
Thanks again. Have a nice weekend.

Zerubbabel
Respected Guru
Mood:

Post by Zerubbabel » Sat Aug 31, 2019 3:03 pm

I spent 10 years in Germany.

What I can tell you is that you will find that local authorities have more freedom in terms of immigration. In the UK we have a central authority that decides about immigration. If Germany, each city has an office and the rules seem slightly different from place to another.

I was in a situation at one point where someone refused to renew my residence card. I ended up moving to a city 60 kilometers further and the same card was renewed no questions asked.

For the German language, the more you are educated, the more it's could be difficult. If someone is looking for a low wage job, it could be enough to say in German "Hello, I am looking for a job". But if you are highly skilled, it's more difficult because those skills need to be expressed in much better German indeed.

All the best.

ChrisR19
Newly Registered
Mood:
India

Post by ChrisR19 » Mon Sep 02, 2019 8:13 am

Hi, thanks for your inputs, appreciate it.