ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Will I be classified as tier2 new entrants or experience workers?

Only for the UK Skilled Worker visas, formerly known as Tier 2 visa route

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

Applepie9
Newly Registered
Hong Kong

Will I be classified as tier2 new entrants or experience workers?

Post by Applepie9 » Sat Aug 31, 2019 3:08 pm

My situation:

went to University from 2013-2017 (did a bachelor and a Masters)
tier2 sponsor job from 2017-2019
now doing another Masters 2019-2020

When I gradaute from my new Masters degree in 2020, will I be classified as a new entrants or an experienced worker if I were to apply for a new tier2 job?

Also, I will be 26 years old by Sept 2020 (the time I graduate from my Masters), will that affect my status as well?
One of the clause to be eligible to be considered as 'new entrants': be under the age of 26 on the date that they make their application. I will be at 26 when I will be making my application, does it mean I am automatically out of consideration?

physicskate
Diamond Member

Re: Will I be classified as tier2 new entrants or experience workers?

Post by physicskate » Mon Sep 02, 2019 1:40 pm

Applepie9 wrote:
Sat Aug 31, 2019 3:08 pm
My situation:

went to University from 2013-2017 (did a bachelor and a Masters)
tier2 sponsor job from 2017-2019
now doing another Masters 2019-2020

When I gradaute from my new Masters degree in 2020, will I be classified as a new entrants or an experienced worker if I were to apply for a new tier2 job?

Also, I will be 26 years old by Sept 2020 (the time I graduate from my Masters), will that affect my status as well?
One of the clause to be eligible to be considered as 'new entrants': be under the age of 26 on the date that they make their application. I will be at 26 when I will be making my application, does it mean I am automatically out of consideration?
TWo things: you're 'experienced' because you have already held a Tier 2 previously AND because of your age on application.

Applepie9
Newly Registered
Hong Kong

Post by Applepie9 » Mon Sep 02, 2019 8:24 pm

thanks. physicskate

Does that mean I will be subject to labour market test etc. if I were to look for a job after I graduate? And I will require the 30k threshold instead of the 20k?

stupid question maybe, but I do not read anywhere that the fact that I were a tier2 visa holder before classified me as a 'experienced'?

physicskate
Diamond Member

Post by physicskate » Tue Sep 03, 2019 3:09 pm

Applepie9 wrote:
Mon Sep 02, 2019 8:24 pm
thanks. physicskate

Does that mean I will be subject to labour market test etc. if I were to look for a job after I graduate? And I will require the 30k threshold instead of the 20k?

stupid question maybe, but I do not read anywhere that the fact that I were a tier2 visa holder before classified me as a 'experienced'?
I appear to stand corrected:
If the applicant has, or has last been granted,leave in one of the above categories, the sponsor will be exempt from the resident labour market test (RLMT)andthe applicant will be considered to be a ‘new entrant’when assessing the appropriate rate and the salary threshold.They must meet the £20,800 threshold for new entrants rather than the higher £30,000 threshold for other applicants.

From: https://assets.publishing.service.gov.u ... -v33.0.pdf
p 60.

And from page 53:
New entrantsYou should consider an applicant to be a new entrant if one or more of the following apply:•the applicant is exempt from the resident labour market test (RLMT) because they qualify under the post-study workprovisions•the RLMT was met via the provisions for ‘new graduate jobs or internships’•the applicant was under 26 on the date the application was madeIn all of the cases above, the applicant must also not be applying to extend their stay under Tier 2 (including the previous work permit category) beyond 3 years and 1 month

Personal opinion is that it seems counter-intuitive in your case... but that's not the rules, apparently.

Applepie9
Newly Registered
Hong Kong

Post by Applepie9 » Wed Sep 04, 2019 7:00 pm

physicskate wrote:
Tue Sep 03, 2019 3:09 pm
Applepie9 wrote:
Mon Sep 02, 2019 8:24 pm
thanks. physicskate

I appear to stand corrected:
If the applicant has, or has last been granted,leave in one of the above categories, the sponsor will be exempt from the resident labour market test (RLMT)andthe applicant will be considered to be a ‘new entrant’when assessing the appropriate rate and the salary threshold.They must meet the £20,800 threshold for new entrants rather than the higher £30,000 threshold for other applicants.

From: https://assets.publishing.service.gov.u ... -v33.0.pdf
p 60.

And from page 53:
New entrantsYou should consider an applicant to be a new entrant if one or more of the following apply:•the applicant is exempt from the resident labour market test (RLMT) because they qualify under the post-study workprovisions•the RLMT was met via the provisions for ‘new graduate jobs or internships’•the applicant was under 26 on the date the application was madeIn all of the cases above, the applicant must also not be applying to extend their stay under Tier 2 (including the previous work permit category) beyond 3 years and 1 month

Personal opinion is that it seems counter-intuitive in your case... but that's not the rules, apparently.
thanks, I agree is quite counter-intuitive, but that's why I ask in the forum in the first place!
thanks for pointing me to the document too to give me a peace of mind when I apply for new job next year