ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Registering a childs birth in ireland

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

HeinzTomatoKetchup
Newly Registered
Ireland

Maternity and Infant Care Scheme

Post by HeinzTomatoKetchup » Fri Sep 06, 2019 8:24 am

Hello guys,

I have a close friend and she asked for my help. She is pregnant, and she’s illegal. She was here for a vacation then met a guy then fell in love and now expecting a child. The thing is she can’t afford private appointments to the gp and the hospital. Can she avail the Maternity and Infant Care Scheme? She doesn’t have PPS as she is illegal.

I hope i could help her a bit by this. Would appreciate any advice. Thanks.

Zerubbabel
Respected Guru
Mood:

Re: Maternity and Infant Care Scheme

Post by Zerubbabel » Fri Sep 06, 2019 9:04 am

Hello

As an illegal in the UK, she can't access the NHS in general, but there are exceptions and these include maternity care. So she needs to go immediately to the NHS and start having her scans and medical exams for the pregnancy.

If the NHS sends a bill later for anything, she needs to pay it either immediately or discuss with them a payment plan. That's important because if at any point she needs to apply under any immigration route, outstanding debts with NHS are a serious ground for refusal.

She can also contact this charity for more specific guidance:

https://maternityaction.org.uk/get-free-advice/

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Fri Sep 06, 2019 9:11 am

Zerubbabel wrote:
Fri Sep 06, 2019 9:04 am
Hello

As an illegal in the UK, she can't access the NHS in general, but there are exceptions and these include maternity care. So she needs to go immediately to the NHS and start having her scans and medical exams for the pregnancy.

If the NHS sends a bill later for anything, she needs to pay it either immediately or discuss with them a payment plan. That's important because if at any point she needs to apply under any immigration route, outstanding debts with NHS are a serious ground for refusal.

She can also contact this charity for more specific guidance:

https://maternityaction.org.uk/get-free-advice/
This topic is for someone in the Republic of Ireland and posted in the Ireland sub forum. Completely different rules to the UK.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

fuzzbizz
United States of America

Post by fuzzbizz » Fri Sep 06, 2019 9:14 am

Just a note - OP appears to be in Ireland, not the UK.

It might be a good idea to talk to https://nascireland.org/, immigrantcouncil.ie, etc.

If the unborn child has an Irish citizen parent then I _think_ they (the unborn child) are entitled to care because they are an Irish citizen. And I imagine it's probably not too hard to claim a de facto relationship if you're getting knocked up.

HeinzTomatoKetchup
Newly Registered
Ireland

Post by HeinzTomatoKetchup » Fri Sep 06, 2019 9:20 am

The father is a british citizen. But i heard that once the baby is born it is entitled to be an Irish citizen because of the father.

Zerubbabel
Respected Guru
Mood:

Post by Zerubbabel » Fri Sep 06, 2019 10:25 am

This topic is for someone in the Republic of Ireland and posted in the Ireland sub forum. Completely different rules to the UK.
Sorry, I didn't notice it was posted under "Ireland". I take back what I said. It's only valid for UK indeed.

HeinzTomatoKetchup
Newly Registered
Ireland

Post by HeinzTomatoKetchup » Fri Sep 06, 2019 1:32 pm

Is there anyone here who knows something?

Zerubbabel
Respected Guru
Mood:

Post by Zerubbabel » Fri Sep 06, 2019 2:34 pm

This forum is mainly about immigration. Your question is about accessing to health care in Ireland. When people know, they respond. If you don't see a clear response coming, it means no one is familiar with your issue at this time.

I called these people for you:

https://nascireland.org/contact

They are based in Cork. Can you go to Cork?

They don't give legal advice over the phone but they have a legal officer who can see you. They have a permanence every day except Friday. They open at 09:00 and take only the first 5 people. So go early. May be 08:00 or before.

Otherwise, they have also walking service the afternoon at 13:00 on Monday and Tuesday and at 14:00 on Wednesday. Same, go early to get a chance to secure a 1-2-1 with their legal adviser who can then guide you in your particular situation.

If you are closer to Dublin, they asked me to tell you to see the Immigrant Council of Ireland:

https://www.immigrantcouncil.ie

They have a phone line that is manned from Monday to Friday (except) Wednesday. They take questions from 10:00 to 13:00. You can call them this Monday. Tell them you are illegal and pregnant. They will then assist from there.

Good luck.

Omad24
Afghanistan

Post by Omad24 » Sat Sep 07, 2019 12:42 am

HeinzTomatoKetchup wrote:
Fri Sep 06, 2019 8:24 am
Hello guys,

I have a close friend and she asked for my help. She is pregnant, and she’s illegal. She was here for a vacation then met a guy then fell in love and now expecting a child. The thing is she can’t afford private appointments to the gp and the hospital. Can she avail the Maternity and Infant Care Scheme? She doesn’t have PPS as she is illegal.

She needs to go to a Gp or nurse office so they can refer her to the local maternity hospital. Illegal or not she’s allowed to get maternity care from her local maternity hospital and she can just pay out of pocket for her gp visits. All she has to do is make sure she has proof of address. She can go to mobile store and ask for sim and to mail her bill. She needs Id as well.

HeinzTomatoKetchup
Newly Registered
Ireland

Post by HeinzTomatoKetchup » Mon Sep 09, 2019 10:05 am

Omad24 wrote:
Sat Sep 07, 2019 12:42 am
Hello guys,

She needs to go to a Gp or nurse office so they can refer her to the local maternity hospital. Illegal or not she’s allowed to get maternity care from her local maternity hospital and she can just pay out of pocket for her gp visits. All she has to do is make sure she has proof of address. She can go to mobile store and ask for sim and to mail her bill. She needs Id as well.
Can she apply for a phone plan without pps? She doesn’t even have a bank account here in ireland.

White_Pearl
Ireland

Post by White_Pearl » Mon Sep 09, 2019 4:20 pm

She will be fine for a prepaid plan.
For a monthly billing you need acc. aswell....

Omad24
Afghanistan

Post by Omad24 » Mon Sep 09, 2019 5:58 pm

Mon Sep 09, 2019 10:05 am
Omad24 wrote:
Sat Sep 07, 2019 12:42 am
Hello guys,

Can she apply for a phone plan without pps? She doesn’t even have a bank account here in ireland.
Yeah she can

HeinzTomatoKetchup
Newly Registered
Ireland

Registering a childs birth in ireland

Post by HeinzTomatoKetchup » Wed Jan 29, 2020 9:02 pm

My friend is having a child this spring. She's bothered because she doesn't have ppsn for she is illegal here in ireland. And PPSN is a requirement for birth registration. So we're wondering if how will she get her child a birth certificate? Can they do it through her partners PPSN? anyway the Fathers child is British and they've read that they could get the baby to be irish through the father. Is that right? Please badly needed help, coz we don't know where else to ask. Thanks