ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

UKM application experience and timeline

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

keh723
United States of America

Re: UKM application experience and timeline

Post by keh723 » Wed Sep 04, 2019 9:01 pm

My process is complete!! Very cool to hold my new UK passport and see nationality “British Citizen”!

Start to finish 7 months. However, it could have been shortened by at least 3 months. Application to ceremony invite was 3 months. Waited a month to have my ceremony so I could with my sister. (Worth the wait!) Then I waited almost 2 months to apply for passport after ceremony, and then my counter signatory was away which delayed the process more. Here’s my timeline:
Eligibility criteria: UKM ( By descent )
Nationality: American
Applying from: US
Method of application: Paperform
Date sent to UKVI - 1/24 USPS Priority Intl
UKVI in Liverpool received my Form & Docs - 2/1
Payment method: Debit Card
Date of fee debit: 2/11
Email with case number : 2/12
Date of acknowledgement by email : 2/12
Date of email requesting biometrics: 2/11
Biometrics done: 2/27
Date of approval: 3/12/19
Ceremony Invite received: 5/1/19
Date of ceremony: 5/31/19
(Waited to be able to have ceremony with my sister in Atlanta.)
Date applied for passports: 7/22/19
(Counter signatory was away and wasn’t able to verify my identity online until 8/6/19. Approved 9/2/19. Dispatched 9/3/2019)
Passport received: 9/4/2019

Rabbit123

Post by Rabbit123 » Thu Sep 05, 2019 8:08 am

congratulations! Your journey is finally over!
How about your sister?
keh723 wrote:
Wed Sep 04, 2019 9:01 pm
My process is complete!! Very cool to hold my new UK passport and see nationality “British Citizen”!

Start to finish 7 months. However, it could have been shortened by at least 3 months. Application to ceremony invite was 3 months. Waited a month to have my ceremony so I could with my sister. (Worth the wait!) Then I waited almost 2 months to apply for passport after ceremony, and then my counter signatory was away which delayed the process more. Here’s my timeline:
(Counter signatory was away and wasn’t able to verify my identity online until 8/6/19. Approved 9/2/19. Dispatched 9/3/2019)

Rabbit123

Post by Rabbit123 » Thu Sep 05, 2019 8:09 am

any news?
jkproperties wrote:
Tue Sep 03, 2019 5:12 pm
Yes, said I am pulling my hair out with stress, my friends have applied in May and have already attended their ceremonies, in my opinion my case is open and shut with British Born mother and grandparents.

Is there something wrong?

Fortunately a very friendly and helpful lady, and able to think for herself.

Said she would try and get someone from the correct department to have a look at my file.

So fingers crossed.
Rabbit123 wrote:
Tue Sep 03, 2019 3:32 pm
Oh no :shock: really?

How disappointing :-( how can other (later) applications already be approved if yours hasn’t even been assigned to a case worker???
The whole process is so strange. I don’t get it...

Did you reply? I think I would... Just ask “can I assume my application will take longer than the estimated 6 months as the date of my application was xx”
And then just see how they react! Maybe something got messed up and they don’t realise your application has been with them for such a long time? Just trying to think positive, I am.

jkproperties wrote:
Tue Sep 03, 2019 1:35 pm
So I had an idea to see if I could get any info on my application today.
I sent an email to the department that works with document returns, I asked what the process was to arrange for a courier to collect my documents for me.

The response was very friendly,

My application is waiting to be allocated to a case worker...

My application has been there for more than 5 months, and it has not even been looked at...?
WOW.

keh723
United States of America

Post by keh723 » Thu Sep 05, 2019 12:08 pm

Rabbit123 wrote:
Thu Sep 05, 2019 8:08 am
How about your sister?
keh723 wrote:

She has mailed the paper application back but it has not yet been received on their end. Praying this goes smoothly for her now. Our other sister submitted her UKM application after we got our approval and she is still waiting on ceremony invite. I’ve told her to line up her counter signatory for passport now so that she can do her passport application right away after. And, to try to use someone who actually lives in the UK. That was definitely easier and faster.

jkproperties

Post by jkproperties » Thu Sep 05, 2019 3:28 pm

I received a confirmation of application like when I applied in March with a new reference number, so now I’m really worried, I have sent it on the the lady and waiting on her reply.

We are planning on moving over in January... still need to do my children’s visas...
Rabbit123 wrote:
Thu Sep 05, 2019 8:09 am
any news?
jkproperties wrote:
Yes, said I am pulling my hair out with stress, my friends have applied in May and have already attended their ceremonies, in my opinion my case is open and shut with British Born mother and grandparents.

Said she would try and get someone from the correct department to have a look at my file.

So fingers crossed.
Rabbit123 wrote:

How disappointing :-( how can other (later) applications already be approved if yours hasn’t even been assigned to a case worker???

Did you reply? I think I would... Just ask “can I assume my application will take longer than the estimated 6 months as the date of my application was xx”
And then just see how they react! Maybe something got messed up and they don’t realise your application has been with them for such a long time? Just trying to think positive, I am.

jkproperties wrote:
Tue Sep 03, 2019 1:35 pm
So I had an idea to see if I could get any info on my application today.
I sent an email to the department that works with document returns, I asked what the process was to arrange for a courier to collect my documents for me.

The response was very friendly,

My application is waiting to be allocated to a case worker...

My application has been there for more than 5 months, and it has not even been looked at...?
WOW.

Rabbit123

Post by Rabbit123 » Fri Sep 06, 2019 6:05 am

Good luck to both your sisters
keh723 wrote:
Thu Sep 05, 2019 12:08 pm
Rabbit123 wrote:
Thu Sep 05, 2019 8:08 am
How about your sister?
keh723 wrote:

She has mailed the paper application back but it has not yet been received on their end. Praying this goes smoothly for her now. Our other sister submitted her UKM application after we got our approval and she is still waiting on ceremony invite. I’ve told her to line up her counter signatory for passport now so that she can do her passport application right away after. And, to try to use someone who actually lives in the UK. That was definitely easier and faster.

Rabbit123

Post by Rabbit123 » Fri Sep 06, 2019 6:42 am

How strange.
Are you sure this isn’t maybe an email from your case worker? Hope you’ll get an answer from the lady soon.
Did you see the other thread about Naturalisation approval after 6 days? This is making me feel even worse.
jkproperties wrote:
Thu Sep 05, 2019 3:28 pm
I received a confirmation of application like when I applied in March with a new reference number, so now I’m really worried, I have sent it on the the lady and waiting on her reply.

We are planning on moving over in January... still need to do my children’s visas...
Rabbit123 wrote:
any news?
jkproperties wrote:

So fingers crossed.
Rabbit123 wrote:

jkproperties

Post by jkproperties » Fri Sep 06, 2019 1:19 pm

Today I received a second Biometrics enrolment request under the new reference number, and a long apology about the mess-up, I just hope they will manage to expedite this somewhat this time.

So I have enrolled Biometrics again Today.

I don't think the Naturalisation mentioned is the same as ours, I expect it is via the 5 year route.
Rabbit123 wrote:
Fri Sep 06, 2019 6:42 am
How strange.
Are you sure this isn’t maybe an email from your case worker? Hope you’ll get an answer from the lady soon.
Did you see the other thread about Naturalisation approval after 6 days? This is making me feel even worse.
jkproperties wrote:

Rabbit123 wrote:
any news?
jkproperties wrote:

So fingers crossed.

Rabbit123

Post by Rabbit123 » Fri Sep 06, 2019 2:05 pm

So what happened? Why did you have to do biometrics again? What was their reason for the mess? I am a little worried this is currently happening with my application as well...

I wish you luck. I hope they realise they have to work on your application with priority now!
jkproperties wrote:
Fri Sep 06, 2019 1:19 pm
Today I received a second Biometrics enrolment request under the new reference number, and a long apology about the mess-up, I just hope they will manage to expedite this somewhat this time.

I don't think the Naturalisation mentioned is the same as ours, I expect it is via the 5 year route.
Rabbit123 wrote:
How strange.
jkproperties wrote:

Rabbit123 wrote:
any news?

jkproperties

Post by jkproperties » Fri Sep 06, 2019 5:55 pm

Well considering they have done in 1 day what previously took 4 months, I think it has been prioritized.

They are saying it was an issue on Biometrics, but why would they issue a new reference number?

I think there was some sort of technical glitch from the beginning.

I will keep you updated.
Rabbit123 wrote:
Fri Sep 06, 2019 2:05 pm
So what happened? Why did you have to do biometrics again? What was their reason for the mess? I am a little worried this is currently happening with my application as well...

I wish you luck. I hope they realise they have to work on your application with priority now!
jkproperties wrote:
Fri Sep 06, 2019 1:19 pm

Rabbit123 wrote:
How strange.
jkproperties wrote:

Belle1207
Newly Registered
South Africa

Post by Belle1207 » Sun Sep 08, 2019 7:08 am

Still early days, but I got my biometrics enrollment request today :)

Eligibility Criteria: UKM (Romein)
Nationality: South Africa
Applying from: South Africa
Method of application: Online with documents sent via DHL
Payment method: Credit card
Date of application: 25 July 2019
Date funds withdrawn: 25 July 2019
Date of UKVI acknowledgement email: 26 July 2019
Date documents sent: 26 July 2019
Date of receipt by UKVI: 29 July 2019 (confirmation from DHL)
Date of letter requesting biometrics: 8 September 2019 (just under 6 weeks from receipt of documents)
Biometrics appointment: 11 September 2019
Date of approval: Pending
Notice documents ready for collection: Pending
Invitation for ceremony: Pending
Date of ceremony: Pending
Date applied for passport: Pending
Date passports received: Pending

jkproperties

Post by jkproperties » Sun Sep 08, 2019 12:19 pm

Hi Belle,
You don't need an appointment for citizenship Biometrics enrolment, you can just walk in.
Belle1207 wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 7:08 am

Date of letter requesting biometrics: 8 September 2019 (just under 6 weeks from receipt of documents)

Belle1207
Newly Registered
South Africa

Post by Belle1207 » Sun Sep 08, 2019 12:32 pm

jkproperties wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 12:19 pm
Hi Belle,
You don't need an appointment for citizenship Biometrics enrolment, you can just walk in.
Belle1207 wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 7:08 am

My letter included a link to make an appointment, so that's what I did 😊 There were very clear instructions about making the appointment and what to take with.

chachacha
Newly Registered
American Samoa

Post by chachacha » Tue Sep 10, 2019 2:45 am

hlassell wrote:
Fri Dec 21, 2018 6:19 pm
Eligibility criteria: UKM
Nationality: Canadian
Applying from: Canada
Method of application: Online
Date of application: 08/20/2018
Date of receipt by UKBA: 08/21/2018
Date money gone off account: 08/20/2018
Date of acknowledgement: 08/21/2018 (by email)
Date of letter requesting biometrics: 09/10/2018
Biometrics done: 11/06/2018
Date of approval: 21/12/2018 *yay!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!*
Date of ceremony:
Date applied for passports:
Date passports received:

OH MY GOSH! My caseworker emailed me today to say I am approved and he is getting my documents mailed back to me and I will receive info about my ceremony soon! Merry Christmas to me! :)
Hi @hlassell - were you under the Romein option (double descent) or was your mother born in the UK? There aren't many Canadians on this thread. Thank you!

Ballet
South Africa

Post by Ballet » Tue Sep 10, 2019 12:09 pm

Update

Eligibility criteria: UKM (Romein)
Nationality: South African
Method of application: Online
Date of application: 8 March 2019
Payment method: Credit card (8 March 2019)
Date of acknowledgement email: 11 March 2019
Documents sent by courier: 11 March 2019
Date of receipt by UKVI (DHL tracking): 14 March 2019
Date of biometric appt invitation email: 4 June 2019
Date of biometrics appt confirmation email: 5 June 2019
Biometrics done: 6 June 2019
Application to retain SA citizenship: 14 June 2019
SA citizenship retention granted by DHA: 12 July 2019
Email from Nationality Courier Service: 26 July 2019
Date of UK citizenship approval: 26 July 2019
Received original documents back (regular post): 31 July 2019
Invitation email for the oath ceremony: 10 September 2019
Date of ceremony: 9 October 2019
Date applied for passport:
Passport Application received:
Passport Application Marked Dispatched:
Date passport received:

Faircape
Newly Registered
South Africa

Post by Faircape » Wed Sep 11, 2019 10:33 am

Congratulations Ballet, a long wait but almost there, you must be most relieved, seems like you made it within the 6 month timeframe from the time your documents were received by UKVI !!

Was the invitation to the ceremony sent by the consul by e-mail ?

Best of luck with final passport application, the online application appears to need someone resident in the UK , with a passport and being in a recognised profession, I wonder whether a RSA person may satisfy this requirement ?

Ballet
South Africa

Post by Ballet » Wed Sep 11, 2019 11:01 am

Hi Faircape

I received the invitation within the 6 month mark (just). By the time I attend the ceremony it will be 7 months from application date.

The invitation to the ceremony is sent by email from a consular officer and contains an attachment from the vice consul.

I haven't seen the new requirements for a referee on the passport application but I do know several professionals both in Johannesburg and in the UK who would be able to do this for me. I will post about the passport application process once I get there.

And, yes, I am hugely relieved to be at this point in the process.
Faircape wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 10:33 am
Congratulations Ballet, a long wait but almost there, you must be most relieved, seems like you made it within the 6 month timeframe from the time your documents were received by UKVI !!

Best of luck with final passport application, the online application appears to need someone resident in the UK , with a passport and being in a recognised profession, I wonder whether a RSA person may satisfy this requirement ?

Conky2a
Mood:

Post by Conky2a » Wed Sep 11, 2019 11:02 am

Faircape wrote:

Sorry Faircape, but the ‘witness’ must hold a valid UK passport as well as resident in the UK i.e. a British citizen.....

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Wed Sep 11, 2019 11:38 am

Conky2a wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 11:02 am
Faircape wrote:

Sorry Faircape, but the ‘witness’ must hold a valid UK passport as well as resident in the UK i.e. a British citizen.....
The British passport holder does NOT have to be a UK resident. It simply needs to be a professional British citizen resident anywhere.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

Ballet
South Africa

Post by Ballet » Wed Sep 11, 2019 12:14 pm

Hi

It may be just the online form that requires the passport holder to be resident in the UK; got the below off the website:

To confirm someone’s identity online, you need to:
  • be 18 or older
  • and live in the UK
  • and have a current UK passport
  • and work in or be retired from a recognised profession

Perhaps a paper application will allow for someone outside of the UK to confirm identity.
CR001 wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 11:38 am
Conky2a wrote:
Faircape wrote:

The British passport holder does NOT have to be a UK resident. It simply needs to be a professional British citizen resident anywhere.

Conky2a
Mood:

Post by Conky2a » Wed Sep 11, 2019 12:25 pm

Ballet wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 12:14 pm
Hi

It may be just the online form that requires the passport holder to be resident in the UK; got the below off the website:

• be 18 or older
  • and live in the UK

Perhaps a paper application will allow for someone outside of the UK to confirm identity.
CR001 wrote:
Conky2a wrote:
Faircape wrote:

Yes, paper forms allow for Commonwealth citizens or US citizens i believe. There is additional paperwork to provide, and the process will take longer than if it were a UK or Irish citizen.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Wed Sep 11, 2019 12:29 pm

Ballet wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 12:14 pm
Hi

• be 18 or older
  • and live in the UK

CR001 wrote:
Conky2a wrote:
Faircape wrote:

I know many people who have applied for passports abroad and used a local referee who is British bit yes, it might be the paper form. In all honesty as the online form asks the referee to declare electronically, it should be ok.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

Conky2a
Mood:

Post by Conky2a » Wed Sep 11, 2019 12:38 pm

I do not know the information that is required to be declared by the witness in the online process, but if it includes current residence, i would be very careful.

Conky2a
Mood:

Post by Conky2a » Wed Sep 11, 2019 12:47 pm

Conky2a wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 12:38 pm
I do not know the information that is required to be declared by the witness in the online process, but if it includes current residence, i would be very careful.
The person confirming the identity has to provide their current address. The guidance seems pretty clear to me.

jkproperties

Post by jkproperties » Wed Sep 11, 2019 2:26 pm

Congratulations,
Faircape wrote:
Fri Aug 30, 2019 3:23 pm
jkproperties wrote:
Fri Aug 30, 2019 1:57 pm
Is the approval letter sent by post?
Oh my soul, I expected an email.

Well what can we do, will have to just wait and see.

Hopefully your invite is getting sent as we speak.
Have a lekker weekend.
Ballet wrote:
Fri Aug 30, 2019 7:16 am
Perhaps each case worker completes their load in date order but it seems that not all case workers are created equal. I think mine must have gone on annual leave as soon as as my documents were received.

I applied 10 days before @Rowge and everything else happened quite a long time after. I'm currently waiting for the ceremony invitation.

@jkproperties, you will probably get your invitation to the ceremony before you see the approval letter if the letter is being delivered by the SA Postal Service.

Waiting would be so much easier if there were definite timeframes that we could work with...
jkproperties wrote:
Thu Aug 29, 2019 4:33 pm
I applied the day before Rowge, and my docs were in the uk on the 25th, this does seem to be very random, and as you say if you didn't give me the email address I would still be waiting for Biometrics invite.

There are so many applicants even more than a month after my application that have already been sworn in and passports in hand.

I have sent emails last week, and get a reply something about applications get done in date order...
Hi,
I received a positive reply to my Biometric-Enrolement this afternoon ( 4 days after the enrolement) , I was advised by my case worker as follows:-

You will receive a letter from your local consulate to arrange a ceremony date.

Now the long wait starts.

Good Luck