ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Life In The UK

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny

bzhao
China

Multiple Applicant in One Application

Post by bzhao » Sat Aug 31, 2019 6:52 pm

Hi,

Hope you are all well.

Both my wife and myself are about to apply for naturalisation (we both have ILR for about 4 years).

As you know, we now need to fill in the application form online. On the web page (before you start to fill in the form), it says you can add more applicants, e.g. family members in the application although each applicant will be assessed separately.

In our case, we could submit one application that contains 2 applicant, i.e. myself and my wife.

Alternatively, we could each submit our own application, so that we do two separate applications each of which contains one applicant.

Are there any differences between those two approaches above? Would suggest us to do take approach one (i.e. one application covering two) or approach two (i.e. two separate applications)?

If we do one applications, can our referees be the same? Or one of the referees is the same.

Thanks a lot in advance.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Multiple Applicant in One Application

Post by CR001 » Sat Aug 31, 2019 7:01 pm

It makes no difference. Each applicant is assessed and processed on its own merits.

You can use the same referees either way if they meet the referee requirements.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

bzhao
China

Re: Multiple Applicant in One Application

Post by bzhao » Sat Aug 31, 2019 7:14 pm

Great. Thanks a lot, CR001.

bzhao
China

Previous Immigration Application

Post by bzhao » Sat Aug 31, 2019 7:20 pm

Hi,

This question sounds a bit silly, but...anyway

When I fill in information for the previous immigration applications, it asks "Name in which you made the application". Is that really the case that, I need to put my name there? Or to be precise, the name I used when the previous application was submitted.

It's a bit strange that, they don't ask what type the previous application was. So I just want to make sure that, that question above is not asking the name of the previous application, e.g. Tier 1 or PBS or something.

Thanks.

bzhao
China

Other Dependent

Post by bzhao » Sat Aug 31, 2019 7:40 pm

Hi,

My wife and myself are both applying for naturalisation together. There is a question in the online form asking "Do you have any dependents not applying with you?" We have a daughter, but she is a British Citizen already so she is not applying with us.

Shall we say Yes or No to this question? My confusion comes from the term dependent. From immigration perspective, our daughter is not on a dependent VISA, but in reality she is our dependent.

Thanks.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Other Dependent

Post by CR001 » Sat Aug 31, 2019 7:45 pm

Topics merged!! Kindly keep all questions on the same application in one topic/thread!
Char (CR001 not Casa)
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Sat Aug 31, 2019 7:46 pm

bzhao wrote:
Sat Aug 31, 2019 7:40 pm
Hi,

My wife and myself are both applying for naturalisation together. There is a question in the online form asking "Do you have any dependents not applying with you?" We have a daughter, but she is a British Citizen already so she is not applying with us.

Shall we say Yes or No to this question? My confusion comes from the term dependent. From immigration perspective, our daughter is not on a dependent VISA, but in reality she is our dependent.

Thanks.
It asks about a dependent. Not a dependent on a visa. You aren't making for an immigration application. You answer yes.
Char (CR001 not Casa)

bzhao
China

Post by bzhao » Sat Aug 31, 2019 7:47 pm

CR001 wrote:
Sat Aug 31, 2019 7:45 pm
Topics merged!! Kindly keep all questions on the same application in one topic/thread!
Sure. Thanks.

bzhao
China

Life In The UK

Post by bzhao » Sun Sep 01, 2019 2:48 pm

Hi,

Can I use the Life in the UK certificate which was used for my ILR application nearly 4 years ago for my naturalisation application? Is there any requirement on when the certificate was issued? My certificate is almost 4 years old...

Thanks.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Life In The UK

Post by CR001 » Sun Sep 01, 2019 3:09 pm

LIUK does NOT expire.
Char (CR001 not Casa)

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Sun Sep 01, 2019 3:10 pm

bzhao wrote:
Sat Aug 31, 2019 7:47 pm
CR001 wrote:
Sat Aug 31, 2019 7:45 pm
Sure. Thanks.
Char (CR001 not Casa)

bzhao
China

Post by bzhao » Sun Sep 01, 2019 6:56 pm

CR001 wrote:
Sun Sep 01, 2019 3:09 pm
LIUK does NOT expire.
Great. Thanks a lot. That's a relief :D

Btw, I will keep one topic per application.

bzhao
China

Re: HMRC Self-Assessment Statement

Post by bzhao » Mon Sep 02, 2019 8:49 pm

Hi,

One more question...

Both myself and my wife are employed and we have payslips, P60s from our employer. Also, we have another source of income from renting, so we also do HMRC Self-Assessment. Do we need to provide the recent HMRC Self-Assessment Statement of Account?

On the AN guide, it says for self-employed applicants, if you don't pay tax through PAYE, then you need to submit the HMRC Self-Assessment Statement. Not sure if we also need to do so.

Thanks a lot.

Kind regards

alterhase58
Germany

Post by alterhase58 » Tue Sep 03, 2019 1:46 pm

bzhao wrote:
Mon Sep 02, 2019 8:49 pm
Hi,

One more question...

Both myself and my wife are employed and we have payslips, P60s from our employer. Also, we have another source of income from renting, so we also do HMRC Self-Assessment. Do we need to provide the recent HMRC Self-Assessment Statement of Account?

On the AN guide, it says for self-employed applicants, if you don't pay tax through PAYE, then you need to submit the HMRC Self-Assessment Statement. Not sure if we also need to do so.

Thanks a lot.

Kind regards
As non-EU citizens you won't have to provide details of your employment or income in general - this is about residency. Your passports covering the period with stamps in/out are sufficient.
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.

bzhao
China

Post by bzhao » Tue Sep 03, 2019 7:21 pm

alterhase58 wrote:
Tue Sep 03, 2019 1:46 pm
bzhao wrote:
Mon Sep 02, 2019 8:49 pm
Hi,

One more question...

Thanks a lot.

Kind regards
As non-EU citizens you won't have to provide details of your employment or income in general - this is about residency. Your passports covering the period with stamps in/out are sufficient.
Great. Thanks a lot for reply. This is very helpful.

bzhao
China

Re: Upload document

Post by bzhao » Sat Sep 07, 2019 1:13 pm

Hi all,

I am about to upload documents onto the UKVCAS website.

On the page where you upload files, there are some guidances. One of the items says that,
Scan in Greyscale or Black and white: To help contain the files size to 6MB please scan in ‘Greyscale’ or ‘Black and white’ and not in ‘Colour’. It is also helpful to keep the resolution between 150 dpi (dots per inch) to 300 dpi. This can be achieved by configuring your device by the available ‘Settings’ option, that allows you to choose the file format, colour and the dpi resolution. With this approach, you will be able to scan up to 50 pages per document within the allowed 6 MB limit.
Do I have to scan everything in black and white, even if the size of a file is much less than 6MB? I have all my documents scan in color... and only the passport scans are larger than the limit. I am happy to re-scan those, but not sure if I need to re-do all of them...

Any suggestions are very much appreciated. Thanks a lot.

zimba
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by zimba » Sat Sep 07, 2019 1:22 pm

That is just a guide. it is not a requirement
Advice is given based on my personal research and experience only. Do NOT contact me via private message for immigration advice

bzhao
China

Post by bzhao » Sat Sep 07, 2019 1:29 pm

Zimba wrote:
Sat Sep 07, 2019 1:22 pm
That is just a guide. it is not a requirement
Thanks a lot, Zimba. Are you saying that, as long as the size of the file does not exceed the limit, those scans in color can still be used? I just wonder make sure that, HO won't have any issues with that...thanks anyway

bzhao
China

Post by bzhao » Mon Sep 09, 2019 3:02 pm

Hi Guru,

Another question...

Is PhD study (with scholarship) classified as employment?

Basically my wife was doing her PhD from 2008 to 2009 summer, and than dropped off. Then from Dec 2009 she started her current employment.

In the Employment Detail section of her application form , I only put in her current employment and don't provide the detail of the PhD experience. The reason for that is, 1) I don't think PhD is an employment and 2) it is out side the 10-year period (because she last bursary was received around April 2009 and then the project terminated in the summer).

Now, the application form has been submitted online two days ago. But I am thinking if not mentioning PhD is the right decision. As we haven't attended out appointment yet (which is on the 11th Sept, two days later), one thing I could do is to explain this in a covering letter. What would you suggest? Am I over thinking? Thanks.

mashayekh_hosein
United Kingdom

Post by mashayekh_hosein » Mon Sep 09, 2019 3:07 pm

PhD student is still a student and subject to student visa conditions. It is not working. The PhD bursary is not subject to tax or national insurance. You have made the correct decision not to include it as part of the work history.

bzhao
China

Post by bzhao » Mon Sep 09, 2019 7:37 pm

mashayekh_hosein wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 3:07 pm
PhD student is still a student and subject to student visa conditions. It is not working. The PhD bursary is not subject to tax or national insurance. You have made the correct decision not to include it as part of the work history.
Thanks a lot :D

bzhao
China

Post by bzhao » Wed Sep 11, 2019 2:40 pm

Hi all,

We attended the UKVCAS appointment at Croydon this morning. It was quick. They just checked and scanned our current passports. Is that all? They don't check any other original copies at all? We don't need to post anything to any place? Seems easier than previous VISA applications.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Wed Sep 11, 2019 3:08 pm

They just checked and scanned our current passports. Is that all? They don't check any other original copies at all?
Its normal.
We don't need to post anything to any place?
No.
Seems easier than previous VISA applications.
You are not applying for a 'visa' now. The whole system changed in November last year on how applications and documents are submitted.
Char (CR001 not Casa)

bzhao
China

Post by bzhao » Wed Sep 11, 2019 4:04 pm

CR001 wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 3:08 pm
They just checked and scanned our current passports. Is that all? They don't check any other original copies at all?
Its normal.
We don't need to post anything to any place?
No.
Seems easier than previous VISA applications.
You are not applying for a 'visa' now. The whole system changed in November last year on how applications and documents are submitted.
Great, thanks CR001. Also, in the end of the online application, there is an optional action which allows you to download a copy of supporting document checklist. Do we need to sign and upload or post the checklist to any where? Sorry for the questions. i am sure many of them are just silly...

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Wed Sep 11, 2019 4:09 pm

No
Char (CR001 not Casa)