ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

US Citizenship through derivation

USA immigration, green card questions:
Employment based Green Cards | H-1B visas | Family based Visas | Citizenship

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

manny3k
Newly Registered

US Citizenship through derivation

Post by manny3k » Fri Aug 30, 2019 3:36 pm

My father was an American citizen (lived there half his life) and my mother is British. My parents were married before I was born and they are both on my birth certificate (I was born in the UK and am a British citizen). It was recently suggested to me in conversation that I may be eligible for US citizenship by derivation. Is this correct? I'm now 26 years old and the guidance I've read on the embassy website seems to suggest I wouldn't be eligible as I'm now an adult. Many thanks for any replies.

secret.simon

Re: US Citizenship through derivation

Post by secret.simon » Tue Sep 10, 2019 2:40 am

When and how did your father acquire his American citizenship? Did he acquire his American citizenship before or after your birth?

Keep in mind that having US citizenship can have consequences for your finances even if you do not live or work in the US. American citizens must declare all global income and are taxed on ther worldwide income.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.