ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

SET(LR) Application - Solicitor charging me £6k to prepare - worth it?

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

alittlepea00
Newly Registered

SET(LR) Application - Solicitor charging me £6k to prepare - worth it?

Post by alittlepea00 » Mon Sep 09, 2019 2:15 pm

Hi there, I am applying for ILR under the 10 year route (2009-2019), but a solicitor is charging me 6k fee (excluding the home office fee) for the whole process.

They pointed out they have to build a 'picture' of my 10year residence to be credible, and spotted some complications in my situation - for example (1) there is a period where I switched sixth form schools under a tier 4 visa but did not get another visa sticker (there was just a cross on on the old sticker & no BRP issued either back in 2010). Also (2) I switched jobs under a T2, was issued a new BRP but do not have the old BRP from the previous job.

For those who've used solicitors, is this more or less what you paid and did you think it was worth it? Thank you for your feedback!!

dan883

Re: SET(LR) Application - Solicitor charging me £6k to prepare - worth it?

Post by dan883 » Mon Sep 09, 2019 3:24 pm

alittlepea00 wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 2:15 pm
Hi there, I am applying for ILR under the 10 year route (2009-2019), but a solicitor is charging me 6k fee (excluding the home office fee) for the whole process.

They pointed out they have to build a 'picture' of my 10year residence to be credible, and spotted some complications in my situation - for example (1) there is a period where I switched sixth form schools under a tier 4 visa but did not get another visa sticker (there was just a cross on on the old sticker & no BRP issued either back in 2010). Also (2) I switched jobs under a T2, was issued a new BRP but do not have the old BRP from the previous job.

For those who've used solicitors, is this more or less what you paid and did you think it was worth it? Thank you for your feedback!!
I have never heard of someone charging £6k for an ILR application for one person. This forum can be quiet helpful if you layout your immigration history. You can also shop around other solicitors.

Good Luck.

natsha
United States of America

Post by natsha » Mon Sep 09, 2019 6:42 pm

Finnaly this solicitor find one client and he charge all money to you. stay away this sloicitor. Lot of good solicitor charge only 1000 to 1500£ or you can do youself with this website help lot of information there.

zimba
Mood:

Post by zimba » Mon Sep 09, 2019 7:07 pm

A solicitor cannot make you eligible if you are not eligible. What is your immigration history ?
Advice is given based on my personal research and experience only. Do NOT contact me via private message for immigration advice

alittlepea00
Newly Registered

Post by alittlepea00 » Mon Sep 09, 2019 8:16 pm

Thank you for your kind replies! I'm happy to layout my immigration history here:

Sept 09 - Dec 09 - T4 visa
Jan 10 - July 11 - T4 visa (switched schools but have no visa sticker/BRP to show for it)
July 11 - Sept 14 - T4 visa
Sept 14 - July 15 - T4 visa
Aug 15 - Aug 17 - T5 YMS visa
Aug 17 - Sept 2020 - T2 Visa

[Sept 09 - July Aug 17] - On a Malaysian Passport
[Aug 15 - Sept 2020] - On an Australian Passport

The complication is
(1) the period Jan 10 - July 11 I switched sixth form schools under a tier 4 visa but there's no visa sticker (there was just a cross on on the old sticker saying "Cancelled without Prejudice")
(2) During the period Aug 17 - Sept 2020, I switched jobs in Dec 2018 to another sponsor, I was issued a new BRP but do not have the old BRP (i think Home Office took it)

so my question is, since there is no section on the application where it asks about all the UK visas I've held, how can I make it clear to HO that there is continuous residence? It begs the question does the HO have all my visa history on file?

aman90
Diamond Member

Post by aman90 » Mon Sep 09, 2019 8:35 pm

Order SAR from Home office to know exactly what they have on file for you.
Did you not make a copy of the BRP?

alittlepea00
Newly Registered

Post by alittlepea00 » Mon Sep 09, 2019 9:09 pm

I ordered a SAR already on 3rd August, so hopefully it should arrive anytime soon.

I actually did make a copy of my BRP...and believe it or not I just found it! I'm quite pleased with that.

Now the real reason why I am applying for ILR is that I recently got a job offer at public listed company, but I cannot accept until I get my ILR. They have made it clear they cannot sponsor me. So the tricky thing is, without asking them is there a deadline on the offer, is whether I should just roll the dice on this and hopefully get a biometric appointment within next week.

This was the whole reason why I wanted to use a solicitor in the first place, I was hoping they could provide some advice but the paywall is high! I will follow your advice @dan883 and shop around.

Manu_cal
Mood:
India

Post by Manu_cal » Tue Sep 10, 2019 10:09 am

alittlepea00 wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 2:15 pm

Some one asked me £900 for 2 applications and I thought that was a ripoff. :shock:
Finally did my own application and approved today

aman90
Diamond Member

Post by aman90 » Tue Sep 10, 2019 11:49 am

Roll the dice and apply urself!

aby00156
Member of Standing
Mood:
India

Post by aby00156 » Tue Sep 10, 2019 12:31 pm

You can apply all by urself. Anyhow the solicitor is charging you way too much.
So verily, with every difficulty, there is relief.

alittlepea00
Newly Registered

Post by alittlepea00 » Tue Sep 10, 2019 2:23 pm

Thank you @aby00156 and @aman90! I think I will follow your advice and apply myself, the form seems straightforward enough.

Do you think I should voluntarily provide a list of all my previous BRPs (since the form doesn’t ask for past BRPs), and also a list of certificates / enrolment that I have completed GCE A Levels, a University Degree and past Certificate of Sponsorships to strengthen the evidence of continuous residence?

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Tue Sep 10, 2019 2:32 pm

You simply need to complete the form and immigration history if asked. Your certificates are irrelevant other than the degree to meet the English requirement. Do not send unnecessary documents.

Continuous residence evidence is your passports.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

alittlepea00
Newly Registered

Post by alittlepea00 » Tue Sep 10, 2019 3:33 pm

@CR001 thanks. Should this be so even when there is no visa sticker for my tier 4 status 2014-2015? This should be ok?

zimba
Mood:

Post by zimba » Tue Sep 10, 2019 3:55 pm

Long residence does NOT require you to show your old visa stickers. If you were granted a valid visa for a period, this is recorded in the UKVI systems.
Advice is given based on my personal research and experience only. Do NOT contact me via private message for immigration advice

alittlepea00
Newly Registered

Post by alittlepea00 » Thu Sep 19, 2019 10:22 pm

Thanks @Zimba! I just want to thank you for helping out - I just got granted my PR yesterday. Looks like the cross wasn't an issue. This forum is great, huge salute to you moderators! You are literally changing people's lives!