ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Schengen Visa Application from the UK with Less Than 3 Months Expiring BRP

Immigration to European countries, don't post UK or Ireland related topics!

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

ishb_
Newly Registered
Indonesia

Schengen Visa Application from the UK with Less Than 3 Months Expiring BRP

Post by ishb_ » Tue Sep 10, 2019 11:50 am

Hi,

I am a Tier 4 (Student) residence permit holder of the UK which is expiring at the end of January 2020.

I am planning to visit the Schengen area in late November to early December and will be applying from the UK. I am planning to apply in mid to late September. Since I will be staying in Iceland for most of my trip, I am planning to apply for a Schengen visa from Iceland via the Embassy of Denmark in the UK.

Currently, I have booked all my flights including the one that I will take to fly back to my home country (where I am a citizen of). I will be flying back to the UK for 2 days and then leave the UK for good in mid-December.

Since one of the requirements of the Schengen visa is to have a UK BRP that is valid at least 3 months after my departure from the Schengen area, I may be having a problem with my application in the UK. Nevertheless, it is very difficult and expensive for me to apply for a Schengen visa in my home country (i.e. Indonesia).

I have emailed the Embassy of Denmark explaining my circumstances and asking for advice on this matter. Currently, I'm still waiting for their responses.

Nevertheless, have anyone ever had any experience in this kind of scenario? What decision did you receive?

Thank you!

Zerubbabel
Respected Guru
Mood:

Re: Schengen Visa Application from the UK with Less Than 3 Months Expiring BRP

Post by Zerubbabel » Tue Sep 10, 2019 2:50 pm

Since one of the requirements of the Schengen visa is to have a UK BRP that is valid at least 3 months after my departure from the Schengen area, I may be having a problem with my application in the UK. Nevertheless, it is very difficult and expensive for me to apply for a Schengen visa in my home country (i.e. Indonesia).
My understanding was you have to have a travel document (passport) valid 90 days after your departure from the Schengen area.

However, often Consulates include the BRP/residence in the equation. They want to see that the appliquant is able to largely come back to the UK at the end of his Schengen visa. Otherwise, the entire thing may be interpreted as the applicant looking for immigration venues in Schengen area as his status in the UK is coming to an end.

Schengen visas are not an exact science.

ishb_
Newly Registered
Indonesia

Post by ishb_ » Tue Sep 10, 2019 3:04 pm

Zerubbabel wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 2:50 pm
My understanding was you have to have a travel document (passport) valid 90 days after your departure from the Schengen area.

However, often Consulates include the BRP/residence in the equation. They want to see that the appliquant is able to largely come back to the UK at the end of his Schengen visa. Otherwise, the entire thing may be interpreted as the applicant looking for immigration venues in Schengen area as his status in the UK is coming to an end.

Schengen visas are not an exact science.
Hi, thank you for the response! :)

Understood! Does this mean that exceptional cases are sometimes made if the Consulates are confident enough that a particular applicant does not have an intention to illegally stay in the Schengen area?

Zerubbabel
Respected Guru
Mood:

Post by Zerubbabel » Tue Sep 10, 2019 5:26 pm

Consulates have a lot of discretion when it comes to visas. I have seen a case in front of my eyes where a visa was placed on the passport without any photos, forms or anything. It was just call (very special situation) and the visa was delivered.

As your situation is not going to change really. There is nothing you can do apart from applying and hope for the best.

bookerw100
Member of Standing

Post by bookerw100 » Sun Nov 17, 2019 11:01 am

My friend applied for a schengen Visa from Netherlands 2 years ago, his student UK Visa was expi end of Jan and he applied around end of October for a mid November travel. He got the tourist Visa granted.

fgm
Newly Registered
Philippines

Post by fgm » Sun Dec 08, 2019 8:34 pm

Any update on this? I am going through the same process. My BRP is expiring soon and I am planning to apply for a schengen visa as well.