ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Self Employment and Director registration

Only for UK Tier 1 (Entrepreneur) points system. This route is now closed to new applicants.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

thaicharoens
Newly Registered

Self Employment and Director registration

Post by thaicharoens » Tue Aug 20, 2019 4:14 pm

Hi All,

I was granted T1E about a month ago from my switch from T1GE, which means that I'm already a company director.

From the Home Office staff guidance for the extension criteria, it says:
The applicant must have registered with:
• HM Revenue & Customs (HMRC) as self-employed
• Companies House as a director of a new or an existing business or member of
a new or an existing partnership - you must not award points to directors who
are on the list of disqualified directors provided by Companies House

If the applicant does not meet one or more of these conditions within 6 months of the
specified date, you can curtail their leave.
However, the Applicant guidance says the following:
You have:
(a) registered with HM Revenue & Customs as self-employed, or
(b) registered with Companies House as a director of a UK company, or
member of a UK partnership.
You must have registered within six months of entering the UK with this entry
clearance (if you provide evidence to establish your date of entry) or, in any
other case, within six months of the date your leave was granted
Note the missing "or" as the difference. Hence, I'm worried as you can't be registered as self-employed and a director at the same time (according to HMRC's website). So which guidance do I adhere to?

Thanks for your help!

marcnath

Re: Self Employment and Director registration

Post by marcnath » Tue Aug 20, 2019 9:19 pm

It is OR.
My comments are in no way meant to be advisory. I have no professional knowledge of immigration. These are based on my own experience, convictions and personal interpretation of publicly available information.

Sha09

Post by Sha09 » Sun Sep 08, 2019 6:45 pm

So that means you cannot be registered as director and self employed a same time? What if You have two businesses, one as director of ltd company and another as a sole trader (self employed)?

marcnath

Post by marcnath » Mon Sep 09, 2019 10:50 am

Sha09 wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 6:45 pm
So that means you cannot be registered as director and self employed a same time? What if You have two businesses, one as director of ltd company and another as a sole trader (self employed)?
You can be a Director and be a sole trader at the same time. In both cases you are self employed.
From HMRC point of view, you have to register for Self Assessment and you should do that in either case
My comments are in no way meant to be advisory. I have no professional knowledge of immigration. These are based on my own experience, convictions and personal interpretation of publicly available information.

Sha09

Post by Sha09 » Mon Sep 09, 2019 11:20 am

Thanks for clarification marchnath :)

thaicharoens
Newly Registered

Post by thaicharoens » Tue Sep 10, 2019 4:36 pm

Hi marcnath, if I pay myself all my income from the company through PAYE, and have no other source of taxable income, does one still have to register for Self assessment? As HO's requirements is either registered as Self-employed with HMRC or a company director, but HMRC says you only have to register if you have untaxed income from other sources.

zimba
Mood:

Post by zimba » Tue Sep 10, 2019 5:55 pm

thaicharoens wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 4:36 pm
Hi marcnath, if I pay myself all my income from the company through PAYE, and have no other source of taxable income, does one still have to register for Self assessment? As HO's requirements is either registered as Self-employed with HMRC or a company director, but HMRC says you only have to register if you have untaxed income from other sources.
NO. Self employed status is a tax status and it is not about working for yourself. This is often a big misconception that Tier 1E applicants have. A company director works for himself as he is considered the employee of his own company NOT because he is self employed.
A company director does NOT need to be registered as self employed unless he also has some self employment activity. Remember that you do NOT need a company to work for yourself. You can for example teach music over the weekends or you can be a sole trader or make money in many other ways. It is in those cases that you are expected to register as self employed with HMRC merely for tax purposes.
Advice is given based on my personal research and experience only. Do NOT contact me via private message for immigration advice