ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

ILR application - Any other names

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

mheiza
Newly Registered
Syria

ILR application - Any other names

Post by mheiza » Wed Sep 11, 2019 8:56 am

Hi All,

I'm applying for ILR 10 years route. I've a question about filling that part of the application "Any other names".

I'm known among my friends and at work by a nickname. I also use that nickname for media and press activities such as twitter and publish under my nickname.

Do I need to declare my nickname on the application? I didn't change my name legally and all the documents I'm providing have my passport name. I wonder if I should or shouldn't. I don't want to complicate my application but also don't want to look like I'm hiding information. Please advise, thank you.

Regards,

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: ILR application - Any other names

Post by CR001 » Wed Sep 11, 2019 9:05 am

The any other names refers to official names and NOT to 'nicknames', for example a woman that changed her surname after marriage OR a name change by Deed Poll.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

mheiza
Newly Registered
Syria

Post by mheiza » Wed Sep 11, 2019 5:52 pm

Thank you for your reply CR001.

Would it make a difference if I declared it anyway? I did it because it says "You must provide all your names. For example, if you changed your name after marriage or have a different name that you use for professional purposes."

Because I use my nickname at work and publish using that name, I thought it's considered as a professional name and should declare it. I answered No to this "If you legally changed your name, when did you do this (if applicable)?" because I didn't legally change it. It seems that they expect you to have a different name that's not legally changed. What do you think?

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Wed Sep 11, 2019 5:59 pm

You then risk delays as HO could ask for official evidence of this 'other name' that doesn't match your passport.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

mheiza
Newly Registered
Syria

Post by mheiza » Wed Sep 11, 2019 6:52 pm

I see, I'll take it out to avoid any delays. Thanks again.

Final thought on this and a question. Does this affect any future application (e.g., naturalisation) when I want to prove that I've strong connections in the UK and of a good character (by showing that I'm a published author and contributing to society)?

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Wed Sep 11, 2019 6:59 pm

Not really no. You simply need to meet the requirements for citizenship as stated in the rules.
Char (CR001 not Casa)