ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Child pasport renewed - no time to renew OCI - urgent travel

Please post country topics not listed elsewhere.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

need_a_tier1

Child pasport renewed - no time to renew OCI - urgent travel

Post by need_a_tier1 » Sun Dec 02, 2018 3:44 pm

I renewed my child's British passport a few months ago, but was not aware of the new rules regarding mandatory renewal of OCI card if new passport is issued (under 18 yrs of age).

I need to travel to India urgently this month following some medical issues my spouse is having.

I have realised that due to the shortage of time, I may not be able to get OCI renewal for my child's new passport in before I travel.

I am planning to carry my child's old and new British passports, existing OCI when I travel to India. I have read the guidelines on these websites and it appears that Indian immigration authorities will allow my child to enter India with the old & new passports and existing OCI:

https://boi.gov.in/content/visa-requirement
Overseas Citizen Of India (OCI) :-
Passengers who are carrying old cancelled passports having Life Long Indian "U" Visa Sticker affixed on it along with new passport are allowed entry into India.
Even if the OCI card holder acquires nationality of a different country, except that of Pakistan and Bangladesh, he/she is also allowed entry into India provided he/she is carrying his/her old passport having Life Long Indian "U" Visa sticker pasted on it along with the new passport of the recently acquired nationality.
http://www.airindia.in/u-sticker-visa-f ... olders.htm
1. Foreign nationals holding OCI Cards are required to carry their foreign passports bearing ‘U’ visa sticker for travel to India. However, due to expiry or re-issue of their foreign passports, these foreigners are issued new passports, as such they are allowed to travel to India with their new passport along with old/cancelled passports bearing ‘U’ visa sticker.

2. If the OCI card holders acquire nationality of a different country after obtaining OCI card, except that of Pakistan and Bangladesh, he/she is also allowed to enter into India provided he/she is carrying his/her old passport having lifelong India ‘U’ visa sticker pasted on it, along with the new passport of the recently acquired nationality.

3. If OCI Card holder is carrying only OCI card without carrying old/cancelled foreign passport bearing ‘U’ visa sticker, he/she may be granted Temporary Landing Permit in India for a period of 30 days extendable up to 180 days by FRRO/FRO concerned without levying any charge after verification from the OCI database. Also, if they are not carrying OCI card, but carrying foreign passport bearing ‘U’ visa sticker, the entry is allowed.

NOTE:- For updated details from time to time ,please refer to Bureau of Immigration India,website www.boi.gov.in
On the other hand, there is an "OCI travel advisory" on VFS's OCI website:
http://www.vfsglobal.com/india/uk/OCI.html
OCI Travel Advisory – Re-issue of OCI Card (On getting a New Passport)
Re-issuance of OCI is mandatory every time passport is renewed up to the age of 20 years, and again after attaining the age of 50 years in view of frequent biological change in facial features in these age group.
Please view the full requirements for OCI Re-issue for more information at the following link.
So, I am confused whether to go or not - the tickets are ultra expensive ~£5000 and it will be difficult for us if Indian authorities decline to give entry to my child based on passport renewal and non-transfer of OCI to new passport.

Any help & guidance will be appreciated.

jfrusc

Re: Child pasport renewed - no time to renew OCI - urgent travel

Post by jfrusc » Mon Dec 03, 2018 9:41 am

I believe you're incorrect in your understanding of the guidelines.

The first two sets of guidelines you've quoted are the general terms upon which you can enter. They do not mention children. The final guidelines specifically mention those under 20 years of age, therefore it is those that apply.

I recently applied for an OCI card for my child who's passport is due to expire in a year. The agent specifically mentioned I would need to have the OCI card re-issued for her new passport. She said if we weren't travelling in the next year I could save a bit of money by holding back her application until she had a new passport.

jfrusc

Post by jfrusc » Mon Dec 03, 2018 9:45 am

If you're desperate to go and can't get the card re-issued in time you can contact the embassy:

https://www.hcilondon.gov.in

I would do it via email so you have everything in writing. But even still you're dealing with the Indian civil service here. You could well turn up in India and find they have a different take on things and turn you back.

suli750
Newly Registered

Post by suli750 » Tue Dec 18, 2018 4:58 am

need_a_tier1 can you please let me know what happened in the end? I am also in a similar position and planning to travel in less than 24hrs.! :cry:

Vijayramaswamy
Newly Registered

Post by Vijayramaswamy » Mon Apr 08, 2019 4:43 pm

Hi iam in same situation now...left 6 weeks only
How was the travel and did they allow your child
It will be more helpful if you share your experience

Many thanks

teddy2019
Newly Registered

Post by teddy2019 » Wed May 08, 2019 2:10 pm

Hi, any update on your recent trip please?
I am also in a similar situation travelling to India on 19/05/19 with a child whose UK passport got renewed and his OCI U-visa stamp is on old passport. High commission of India London office suggested to take e-visa but e-visa support center at Delhi says it is not required as long as we carry both old and new passport. Really confusing..

z18runway

Post by z18runway » Sat Jun 08, 2019 9:02 pm

Did you guys travelled with your old OCI and new passports, any trouble at the airport ? any updates please

teddy2019
Newly Registered

Post by teddy2019 » Thu Jun 13, 2019 9:08 am

Travelled to Kochi on 19th May and returned on 02 Jun 19 without any issues.
Immigration officer did not even ask for old expired passport where OCI U-sticker was stamped. Just checked the new passport and OCI booklet and gave clearance.

z18runway

Post by z18runway » Thu Jun 13, 2019 10:07 am

teddy2019 wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 9:08 am
Immigration officer did not even ask for old expired passport where OCI U-sticker was stamped. Just checked the new passport and OCI booklet and gave clearance.
Thanks for your reply teddy2019, although its risky business to travel with oci and new passport without renewal, i have to take chance this time, your reply really made me happy.

ashvar123

Post by ashvar123 » Thu Jun 13, 2019 12:48 pm

teddy2019 wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 9:08 am
Hi My friend.. you message was a big releif although sounds a bit risky - I heard that some of the airways like Emirates and Qatar airways are not issuing the boarding passes - did any one face this.?

Also @Teddy2019 can you let me know which airways did you fly with..?
- Ashvar

teddy2019
Newly Registered

Post by teddy2019 » Fri Jun 14, 2019 3:24 pm

I also heard some news about airlines raising objections so before flying out, I called the airline (Oman Air) and clarified their stand on this matter. They assured me that there won't be any issues from their side.

Anyway now that I am back in the UK, applying for OCI re-issue without further delay.

ashvar123

Post by ashvar123 » Sat Jun 15, 2019 2:04 am

thats a big relief.. many thanks@teddy2019 for the response. We may have to travel again with in 3 weeks time, so will initiate the application for Re-issuance soon before travel.
- Ashvar

Jtuck
Newly Registered

Post by Jtuck » Wed Sep 11, 2019 3:00 pm

Can anyone who has travelled very recently please update me? I have been travelling to India regularly with my kids who had their OCI’s issued 10 years ago. Since then we have renewed their passports at least once , never updated any OCI’s and travelled to Delhi without any issues up until the last year.

I have only just become aware of this new rule that the Child’s OCI should be updated when changing the passport. Since I have never faced any trouble in the last few years I am not planning to rush my application as I’m travelling under four weeks time. I’m relieved to hear Teddy’s experience that everything went okay but would like to hear more from anyone else who may have faced any issues either by the airlines or by the immigration office. I am planning to carry all the passports, old and new.
Thank you

z18runway

Post by z18runway » Wed Sep 11, 2019 4:02 pm

Jtuck wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 3:00 pm
Can anyone who has travelled very recently please update me? I have been travelling to India regularly with my kids who had their OCI’s issued 10 years ago. Since then we have renewed their passports at least once , never updated any OCI’s and travelled to Delhi without any issues up until the last year.

I have only just become aware of this new rule that the Child’s OCI should be updated when changing the passport. Since I have never faced any trouble in the last few years I am not planning to rush my application as I’m travelling under four weeks time. I’m relieved to hear Teddy’s experience that everything went okay but would like to hear more from anyone else who may have faced any issues either by the airlines or by the immigration office. I am planning to carry all the passports, old and new.
Thank you
Hi, i travelled to India with oci and new passport(children) and no questions asked and came back last week and no questions asked while returning as well. Infact I took risk and it went well without problem, and I will travel again like this next year and no plans to update the OCI on new passport. Hope this helps

Jtuck
Newly Registered

Post by Jtuck » Wed Sep 11, 2019 5:01 pm

Thank you so much for the update.

z18runway

Post by z18runway » Thu Sep 12, 2019 9:08 am

No problem, you are welcome. By the way I travelled with Srilankan Airlines if in case you have any doubt about which airlines I travelled.

Flying2India
Newly Registered

Post by Flying2India » Sat Oct 19, 2019 8:58 pm

Hello

I am flying to India tomorrow, from Heathrow to Ahmedabad. I am doing my last minute checks and noticed that we had renewed my sons British passport 9 months ago but we still had his old OCI.

I can see a number of posts here of people in the same situation and they haven't had a problem, immigration in India has let them through. Z18runway and JTuck seem to have had no problems.

Those messages were back in September. Has anyone flown more recently in the same situation and been ok?

I have tried to ring Air India and been on hold for 40 minutes now. I fly out in 14 hours!

If in the event they say at Ahmedabad airport they cannot accept my son's OCI, has anyone had experience of that? Can I buy a VISA at the airport itself?

z18runway

Post by z18runway » Sun Oct 20, 2019 10:49 am

Flying2India wrote:
Sat Oct 19, 2019 8:58 pm
Hello

I am flying to India tomorrow, from Heathrow to Ahmedabad. I am doing my last minute checks and noticed that we had renewed my sons British passport 9 months ago but we still had his old OCI.

I can see a number of posts here of people in the same situation and they haven't had a problem, immigration in India has let them through. Z18runway and JTuck seem to have had no problems.

Those messages were back in September. Has anyone flown more recently in the same situation and been ok?

I have tried to ring Air India and been on hold for 40 minutes now. I fly out in 14 hours!

If in the event they say at Ahmedabad airport they cannot accept my son's OCI, has anyone had experience of that? Can I buy a VISA at the airport itself?
Neither you can apply for new OCI nor you can cancel your ticket ATM. All that go to do is just travel without doubt, produce your old oci and new British passport at heathrow checkin and ahmedabad checkout. Dont panic and just relax. If they ask you say you dont know the rules and pay the fine if they ask you to do, but please update here. thanks

Jtuck
Newly Registered

Post by Jtuck » Sun Oct 20, 2019 11:59 am

Hi Z18runway,

I have just arrived in India today with my 16-year-old. I had absolutely no issues with Virgin Atlantic upon boarding the flight and despite the massive queues at immigration at Delhi airport this morning, there were no questions asked about my daughter’s old OCI. She has a baby picture on it and has had three passports since then.

What was funny was that the immigration officer even joked about her being a podgy baby. He wasn’t even interested in the corresponding U sticker issues with the OCI. Although I took all the corresponding passports with me As six years ago when I landed in Delhi without the corresponding sticker I was fined US$50 each and had to get temporary Visa for my time of stay. All these rules have since changed.

I think given everybody’s experiences, We can safely say that the whole OCI renewal thing is a bit of a scam. If you go and change it, they happily take your money and put you through all the hassle of submitting new documents. But if you travel with your old OCI, there is no way they can refuse you entry as it is a lifetime entry Visa. Thinking further about it, there are at least 5 to 6 million OCI’s issued since 15 or 20 years ago. Can they really expect each and every OCI to be re-issued every time people change their passports? Impossible. Please travel without worry and have a safe trip.

Jtuck
Newly Registered

Post by Jtuck » Sun Oct 20, 2019 12:10 pm

Sorry the above reply was for flying2India. If it is of any help further, I even asked the immigration officer after he had stamped our passports about the whole renewal thing. He seem to be very blasé about it and said it is really your wish if you would like to but it is only the PIo’s that require renewing as OCI go through so many steps of scrutiny and security they are not expected to change with every passport you have. They really are your lifetime entry visas.

z18runway

Post by z18runway » Sun Oct 20, 2019 3:58 pm

excellent argument and lovely advice from jtuck, thanks.

Enka2018
Slovakia

Post by Enka2018 » Thu Oct 24, 2019 12:41 pm

Guys, I am happy to hear that, I was also thinking whether to wait for new passport because my country gives only 2 years validity of baby’s passport.

nova123
Newly Registered
United States of America

Post by nova123 » Fri Nov 08, 2019 2:06 am

I am traveling from US to India with minor with OCI not renewed in new passport in Dec 1st week. Did anyone travel with similar situation. Please kindly reply.

txs89378
Newly Registered
United States of America

Post by txs89378 » Fri Nov 08, 2019 9:47 pm

I have been travelling for years to India with my minor child without reissue of OCI with no issues at port of entry in India. Last entry however was in 2018.

Looking for any recent experiences as I intend to travel again in Dec

redjet
Newly Registered

Post by redjet » Mon Nov 11, 2019 11:28 am

Me too travelling end of December with minor son's new passport and old OCI card. Even we didn't have any problems earlier but then I see a new circular sent out towards end of October (I saw ones from UK and Australian high commissions) repeating the new OCI card with new passport for minors requirement.

Any recent experiences (November 2019) would be helpful.

However, I am preparing the documentation if I could be lucky to sail through before end of December.