ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Is it valid to have ‘right of abode’ after the child turns 18

Please post country topics not listed elsewhere.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

achukar
Newly Registered

Is it valid to have ‘right of abode’ after the child turns 18

Post by achukar » Wed Sep 11, 2019 11:05 am

The child was born in uk to a ILR father having Indian citizenship, and the child has COE - ROA on its Indian passport

When the child turns 18, does the child need to surrender ‘CoE - ROA’ or she can continue to have it along with the Indian (passport) citizenship?

If the child after 18 continues to have ‘Coe-RoA’ doesnt the child violate dual citizenship law as below.

the Basis of the question is as per Indian citizenship law, dual citizenship is not allowed.
The child is granted ‘Coe-Roa’ in first place because the child is british citizen by birth.

achukar
Newly Registered

Re: Is it valid to have ‘right of abode’ after the child turns 18

Post by achukar » Thu Sep 12, 2019 7:29 pm

please can someone suggest on the above

vinny

Post by vinny » Fri Sep 13, 2019 6:18 am

The child is automatically British. The CoE-RoA is just evidence of a right of abode.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

achukar
Newly Registered

Post by achukar » Fri Sep 13, 2019 8:15 am

Thanks Vinny

So the child after attaining 18 years does not need to surrender ‘COE ROA’ in order to retain Indian citizenship?

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Sat Sep 14, 2019 10:38 am

Indian law (not British law) requires that the child born to Indian parents abroad and having multiple citizenship must choose which citizenship s/he wishes to retain, within six months of turning 18.

If s/he does not renounce any foreign nationality within that timeframe, their Indian citizenship automatically lapses.

See Section 4(1A) of the (Indian) Citizenship Act 1955.
(1A) A minor who is a citizen of India by virtue of this section and is also a citizen of any other country shall cease to be a citizen of India if he does not renounce the citizenship or nationality of another country within six months of attaining full age.
So, the child will have two choices when s/he turns 18.

a) Renounce British citizenship (which also includes Right of Abode). The child would no longer be a British citizen and would not have the Right of Abode in the UK.

b) Renounce/allow Indian citizenship to terminate. The child would remain a British citizen and would need to apply for a British passport as their Indian passport (which would contain their Right of Abode certificate) would no longer be valid.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

achukar
Newly Registered

Post by achukar » Sat Sep 14, 2019 12:09 pm

Thanks a lot Simon.
If the child wants to retain Indian citizenship after 18 years but only has ‘Coe-RoA’ until that time

So operationally how british citizenship can be renounced?

1, there is a way directly to renounce british citizenship having only ‘ coe-Roa ‘ without having to apply British passport

Or

2, the child need to apply ‘British passport’ first then renounce british citizenship using British passport

If it is only second option available to renounce British citizenship then at the point applying /receiving British passport then Indian citizenship would have been lapsed

Please can you suggest.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Sat Sep 14, 2019 1:25 pm

You should think carefully. Renouncing British citizenship will not give the child any rights to stay in the UK. They would be classed as a foreign national with no right to remain. They would have to leave the UK and find a visa they qualify for to live here.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Sat Sep 14, 2019 1:32 pm

achukar wrote:
Sat Sep 14, 2019 12:09 pm
So operationally how british citizenship can be renounced?
Give up (renounce) British citizenship or nationality .
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.