ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Child Registration as British Citizenship born prior to either parent ILR

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

opti21
Newly Registered

Child Registration as British Citizenship born prior to either parent ILR

Post by opti21 » Sun Sep 15, 2019 9:42 am

Hi There,
My son is born in 2014 & I am due to get my ILR next year (in 10 year continuous residence category)
I know once I get ILR I can register my child as British citizen (MN1 route) But my question is - my, my wife's & my son's visa (Tier 2) are valid until NOV 2020 & I will get my/our ILR in SEPT 2020. SO I am going to apply my & my wife's ILR only (premium same day application), but after my/our ILR, do I need to apply for my son's registration (MN1) before his current visa (tier 2 dependent) ends (which is NOV 2020) or can I apply anytime later? I am bit confused if I get ILR, the (child) dependent visa still remain valid only until its validity period? or like what is the deadline before which I need to apply my son's registration (MN1)?
Thanks in advance.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Child Registration as British Citizenship born prior to either parent ILR

Post by CR001 » Sun Sep 15, 2019 9:52 am

A UK born child does not need ILR or a valid visa to apply for citizenship.

Also, does your wife also have 10 years long residence next year??

Note there is no premium same day service anymore, the PSCs closed in November last year. It is standard 8 weeks or Super priority 24 hours which is not guaranteed.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

opti21
Newly Registered

Post by opti21 » Sun Sep 15, 2019 6:15 pm

Thanks CR001. No, my wife won't complete 10 years long residence next year. Will be 7 years for her. She only needs 5 years of continuous resident as a dependent of settled person, right? In that case can we apply together or does she need to wait until I get ILR & then she has to apply?
Thanks.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Sun Sep 15, 2019 6:17 pm

opti21 wrote:
Sun Sep 15, 2019 6:15 pm
Thanks CR001. No, my wife won't complete 10 years long residence next year. Will be 7 years for her. She only needs 5 years of continuous resident as a dependent of settled person, right? In that case can we apply together or does she need to wait until I get ILR & then she has to apply?
Thanks.
No, you seem to be misunderstanding the rules completely.

If you apply for ILR based on long residence, she has no option to apply for ILR as a PBS dependent holder. She must switch to FLR(M) spouse visa and meet the English and financial requirements.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

opti21
Newly Registered

Post by opti21 » Sun Sep 15, 2019 8:21 pm

ohh..Thanks again CR001. What is the financial requirement for FLR(M) spouse visa? could you please provide some links.

opti21
Newly Registered

Post by opti21 » Sun Sep 15, 2019 8:33 pm

opti21 wrote:
Sun Sep 15, 2019 8:21 pm
ohh..Thanks again CR001. What is the financial requirement for FLR(M) spouse visa? could you please provide some links.
Sorry, links not needed. found them on the gov.uk website. but not sure whether we can apply together (myself for ILR & spouse for FLR(M) spouse visa) Or do I need to get my ILR first & then my spouse can apply for FLR(M) spouse visa? Please reply. Thanks for your valuable guidance.

aman90
Diamond Member

Post by aman90 » Sun Sep 15, 2019 11:09 pm

You can apply at the same time or after but before her visa expiry. You can also just stick to the same route for ILR so her clock doesn’t reset.

opti21
Newly Registered

Post by opti21 » Mon Sep 16, 2019 6:39 am

CR001 wrote:
Sun Sep 15, 2019 9:52 am

Note there is no premium same day service anymore, the PSCs closed in November last year. It is standard 8 weeks or Super priority 24 hours which is not guaranteed.
Hi, Just to be confirm on this, I suppose a UK born child does not need ILR or a valid visa to apply for citizenship even if the child currently hold a citizenship of other country, right?

opti21
Newly Registered

Post by opti21 » Mon Sep 16, 2019 6:43 am

aman90 wrote:
Sun Sep 15, 2019 11:09 pm
You can apply at the same time or after but before her visa expiry. You can also just stick to the same route for ILR so her clock doesn’t reset.
Did you mean once I/we apply FLR (M) for my spouse next year, she can get apply in a 10 year continuous residence route once she completes 10 years, right? In what case her clock will be reset. Can you please explain. Thanks.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Mon Sep 16, 2019 7:07 am

opti21 wrote:
Mon Sep 16, 2019 6:39 am
CR001 wrote:
Sun Sep 15, 2019 9:52 am

Hi, Just to be confirm on this, I suppose a UK born child does not need ILR or a valid visa to apply for citizenship even if the child currently hold a citizenship of other country, right?
Correct. A UK born child has an entitlement to register as British.
Char (CR001 not Casa)

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Mon Sep 16, 2019 7:09 am

opti21 wrote:
Mon Sep 16, 2019 6:43 am
aman90 wrote:
Sun Sep 15, 2019 11:09 pm
Did you mean once I/we apply FLR (M) for my spouse next year, she can get apply in a 10 year continuous residence route once she completes 10 years, right? In what case her clock will be reset. Can you please explain. Thanks.
Yes. Only her 5 year ilr clock is reset.

Could I ask that you post FLR m questions in the family immigration sub forum please.

This topic is relevant to the childs mn1 British citizenship in the British citizenship sub forum query you asked.
Char (CR001 not Casa)