ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Applying for Citizenship with Settled Status/British Spouse - Residence Card needed?

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

RCG3
Newly Registered

Applying for Citizenship with Settled Status/British Spouse - Residence Card needed?

Post by RCG3 » Tue Apr 23, 2019 7:38 pm

Hello,

I have tried searching the forum and the government website to try to find a definitive answer to this question but have not succeeded. Any advice/answers gratefully received!

My husband is a Polish citizen - he came to the UK in 2005 and he applied for 'settled status' under the EU Settlement Scheme in March 2019. He received confirmation of his settled status/ILR electronically on 4th April 2019. Because we are married and I am a British citizen by birth, we decided it would make sense to apply for his citizenship straight away. The government website states:

RCG3
Newly Registered

Re: Applying for Citizenship with Settled Status/British Spouse - Residence Card needed?

Post by RCG3 » Tue Apr 23, 2019 7:51 pm

*continued*
The government website states that: "You can apply as soon as you have one of the following:

a permanent residence document to prove you have permanent residence status
indefinite leave to remain in the UK
‘settled status’ (also known as ‘indefinite leave to remain under the EU Settlement Scheme’)
indefinite leave to enter the UK (permission to move to the UK permanently from abroad)"

Which, to me, implies that he can apply on the basis of having settled status. However, on the citizenship application it says "You must have a permanent residence card before you can apply for citizenship".

Please can someone confirm whether the permanent residence card is really required to apply for citizenship if someone has settled status through the EU settlement scheme? Or is it an excuse to pump an extra £65 out of people? Or both?

Thank you and apologies for the bad formatting!

London333
Newly Registered
Netherlands

Re: Applying for Citizenship with Settled Status/British Spouse - Residence Card needed?

Post by London333 » Mon Sep 16, 2019 12:39 pm

this is exactly what I just stumbled across!

Please can someone answer this question, I'd be very grateful!

daisyt
Newly Registered
Spain

Post by daisyt » Mon Oct 14, 2019 8:44 pm

I'm no expert and only just started completing my application, but on the print version of the AN form, section 2.4 (page 13), it says:

EEA or Swiss nationals with permanent residence
2.4 If you are an EEA or Swiss national or the family member of an EEA or Swiss national and
wish to use a permanent residence card to support your application, please complete the following
section.
If you have been granted indefinite leave to remain under the EU Settlement Scheme you do not
need to complete this section
– make sure you have completed section 1.3 and then move on to
section 3.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... on-form-an

So I'm interpreting that you do not need a PRC if you have ILR under the EU Settlement Scheme. The online version did not mention this and had me confused as well.