ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Spouse visa - couple of questions

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé/e | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

jenny_benny
Newly Registered

Spouse visa - couple of questions

Post by jenny_benny » Wed Sep 18, 2019 8:59 am

Hello,

My fiance and I won't be applying for the spouse visa for another year but I am already researching all the requirements so ensure we are well prepared. I have a couple of queries and hoping someone might be able to clarify:

1. Question on the form about first time met (I don't have the link anymore but I remember seeing it somewhere): he is my cousin and we've known each other since I was born but only started dating 12 months ago and "got engaged" 3 months ago. I'm wondering if I should put the year I was born (we were born in the same city) or perhaps I should put the decade like: "sometime in the 90s". I grew up in the same city then moved countries so first 10yrs I saw him every week after that I'd see him when I go visit on holidays. There is about 8-9 yr age gap between us if that helps.

2. How soon after the civil wedding can we apply? We have whatsapp chats from before we started dating and a few pics too. Obviously we have more after we started dating and pics from a couple of holidays we went on. BUT: we don't plan to have a typical wedding. We didn't even have an engagement. The whole big events is not our taste. The plan is to do a religious ceremony in country X where his dad and bro live followed by the civil service in country Y where he lives in & will apply from. Both events will have some family and friends from either side. I'm wondering if applying right after the civil wedding is a bad idea or maybe it's better to wait 3 months in case they need evidence of our communication AFTER the civil wedding.

Just to clarify, this is not an arranged marriage.

Thanks.

geoeng
Canada

Re: Spouse visa - couple of questions

Post by geoeng » Wed Sep 18, 2019 11:33 am

1. You could likely explain it exactly like you have here: how long you've known each other and when you started pursuing a relationship. Can't recall the exact form details but I believe there are actually separate boxes for each of those and it is not uncommon for people who previously knew each other to later start a relationship.

2. There is no requirement to wait any period of time after the wedding. You can apply as soon as you have the necessary documentation.
I'm just a guy on the Internet who immigrated to the UK. My opinions are based on my experience and interpretation of the immigration rules and should not be considered legal or immigration advice; your mileage may vary.

jenny_benny
Newly Registered

Re: Spouse visa - couple of questions

Post by jenny_benny » Wed Sep 18, 2019 12:43 pm

Awesome, thanks!