ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Questions for Neutralization

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

ttcg

Questions for Neutralization

Post by ttcg » Tue Sep 17, 2019 8:59 pm

Hi all,

I would like to apply for British Citizenship soon and I would like to ask your help to clarify some questions:

I'm a Non-EEA National and my immigration history is as per following:

2009 Sep 12th - arrived to UK as aStudent
2010 Dec - Switched to PSW visa
2012 Apr - married in UK
2012 Dec - Switched to Tier 2 General
2015 Dec - Tier 2 General extension till Nov 2018
2016 Dec - My wife got her British Citizenship
2017 Mar - Switched to FLR(M) spouse visa
2019 Aug - Got ILR (LR) via 10 years Route
2019 Oct - Apply Naturalization

1. Am I eligible to apply Citizenship now? Since I'm married to the British Citizen, I understand that I do not need to wait 12 months to apply after getting ILR.

2. Regarding with passports, in the form, Required Document list, it says
Providing your documents
You must provide your documents after you submit your application, these can be originals or copies. Any passports provided must be originals.
I'm confused here. I'm apply online and I thought I just need to upload all original documents on UKVCAS system like I did for ILR. Do I need to send physical original passports to the UKVI address? They asked for my wife's British Passport too. What if they keep it for 2/3 months while doing consideration?

3. Regarding with Referees, I understand that I need to download the two forms like (Referee Form 1.
and the referee needs to provide only Passport Photo and sign the form. Don't they need to provide passport copy anymore? Do I just need the photo and signature from Referee? I remember that my wife gave her passport photo and copy of the passport to her friend who applied the citizenship last year, 2018.

4. Six years ago, while I was on Tier2, I worked as the freelance web developer (outside of my main working hour - 10-15 hrs a week) for 3 years. I registered the SelfAssessment and paid the tax every year. I have already declared stop trading for that self-employed job. Do I need to put it in the previous Employment History? Should I put Work Address as my current address?

5. On this page https://www.gov.uk/apply-citizenship-sp ... ertificate, it says
Once you have a British passport you must use this to enter the UK.

If you do not want a British passport you can apply for a certificate of entitlement instead.

You cannot enter the UK using your BRP or certificate of British citizenship.
I would like to know whether that condition (highlighted with red color) is only for the person who has already got British Passport or not. I believe there could be a big gap between certificate of citizenship and actual passport. After getting citizenship certificate, can I travel outside of UK while waiting for UK passport with my ILR BRP Card while waiting for british passport?

6. When my wife applied for her citizenship 3 years ago, she applied both citizenship and british passport together at the same time. So, she received her passport just10 days after her citizenship ceremony and no need to apply it separately. Is it still the same process and how can I apply both citizenship and passport applications?

Not directly related to my application... but just curious:
what's the point of asking LifeInUK and English Language Certificate again and again? Without those 2 stuffs, no one can get ILR, right? I wish they made a process simpler like they did for Tier2 extension.
When I extended my Tier2, it's very simple and they do not ask same documents again apart from CoS letter.

xavieryves
Zimbabwe

Re: Questions for Neutralization

Post by xavieryves » Tue Sep 17, 2019 10:13 pm

1. Am I eligible to apply Citizenship now? Since I'm married to the British Citizen, I understand that I do not need to wait 12 months to apply after getting ILR.
Not sure about this as your ILR is based on your Long Residence rather than your spousal visa - Will leave this for experts to answer.
I'm confused here. I'm apply online and I thought I just need to upload all original documents on UKVCAS system like I did for ILR. Do I need to send physical original passports to the UKVI address? They asked for my wife's British Passport too. What if they keep it for 2/3 months while doing consideration?
You don't need to send anything but you must bring original Passports with you to your Biometrics appointment at the UKVCAS. It is also advised to bring all your supporting documents in case they didn't upload correctly. Everything else can be scanned and uploaded online, so you keep all originals including passports.
3. Regarding with Referees, I understand that I need to download the two forms like (Referee Form 1. and the referee needs to provide only Passport Photo and sign the form. Don't they need to provide passport copy anymore? Do I just need the photo and signature from Referee? I remember that my wife gave her passport photo and copy of the passport to her friend who applied the citizenship last year, 2018.
When you are completing the application form, you will be asked to fill your referees' details including passport number, address, email address, phone number, DOB, job etc. At the end of completing your application and payment you will be directed to the declaration forms, which are generic and can be found online. You stick YOUR Photo on them and give to the referees to sign. Your wife gave her passport copies perhaps to provide her details but this is not required.

Not sure about your 4th question.
I would like to know whether that condition (highlighted with red color) is only for the person who has already got British Passport or not. I believe there could be a big gap between certificate of citizenship and actual passport. After getting citizenship certificate, can I travel outside of UK while waiting for UK passport with my ILR BRP Card while waiting for british passport?
It states once you have British Passport! So only applies after you have a British passport. You are Required to send back your BRP up to 5 days after your Citizenship ceremony or else you'll be fined £1000!
6. When my wife applied for her citizenship 3 years ago, she applied both citizenship and british passport together at the same time. So, she received her passport just10 days after her citizenship ceremony and no need to apply it separately. Is it still the same process and how can I apply both citizenship and passport applications?
Not the same anymore. You need Citizenship first then apply for passport.

Not directly related to my application... but just curious:
what's the point of asking LifeInUK and English Language Certificate again and again? Without those 2 stuffs, no one can get ILR, right?
You can get ILR without English Language test for instance via the Discretionary leave route and other exemptions.

ttcg

Post by ttcg » Wed Sep 18, 2019 12:27 pm

Thanks for your answers.

I don't see any place where they ask the passport number for Referee: Please see the screenshot below:

One of my friends is also saying that she needs a passport number for Referee. But I couldn't find where to enter it.

Or am I entering the wrong Naturalization form?

sonata

Post by sonata » Wed Sep 18, 2019 12:53 pm

It should ask you on the next page
ttcg wrote:
Wed Sep 18, 2019 12:27 pm
Thanks for your answers.

I don't see any place where they ask the passport number for Referee: Please see the screenshot below:

One of my friends is also saying that she needs a passport number for Referee. But I couldn't find where to enter it.

Or am I entering the wrong Naturalization form?

ttcg

Post by ttcg » Wed Sep 18, 2019 6:22 pm

xavieryves wrote:
Tue Sep 17, 2019 10:13 pm
Not sure about this as your ILR is based on your Long Residence rather than your spousal visa - Will leave this for experts to answer.
Could senior members or admins confirm whether I am eligible to apply Citizenship now just after my ILR?

Thanks.

aman90
Diamond Member

Post by aman90 » Wed Sep 18, 2019 7:05 pm

ttcg wrote:
Wed Sep 18, 2019 6:22 pm
xavieryves wrote:
Tue Sep 17, 2019 10:13 pm
Could senior members or admins confirm whether I am eligible to apply Citizenship now just after my ILR?

Thanks.

Your route to ILR is irrelevant to your naturalisation application.
If you have a British citizen spouse you can very well have applied the day you got ILR.

aman90
Diamond Member

Post by aman90 » Wed Sep 18, 2019 7:14 pm

ttcg wrote:
Tue Sep 17, 2019 8:59 pm

4. Six years ago, while I was on Tier2, I worked as the freelance web developer (outside of my main working hour - 10-15 hrs a week) for 3 years. I registered the SelfAssessment and paid the tax every year. I have already declared stop trading for that self-employed job. Do I need to put it in the previous Employment History? Should I put Work Address as my current address?

Yes

ttcg

Post by ttcg » Thu Sep 19, 2019 9:58 pm

I've got a question related to this question in Online form:

Have you previously made any other UK immigration applications in the UK or abroad?

Since I have applied immigration applications like PSW, Tier2, FLR(M), ILR, I believe, I have to say 'YES' for this one, right?

The problem is that I don't remember dates for my very first Student visa application which I made outside of UK 10 years ago. I couldn't find any reference/evidence about the application dates, emails, letters.

Could there be any problem with that missing record for Student Visa application?

aman90
Diamond Member

Post by aman90 » Thu Sep 19, 2019 10:03 pm

1. Yes. All immigration applications for UK.
2. It does say “if known”. You should atleast know the year you applied.. an incorrect month will not be a cause for refusal..

ttcg

Post by ttcg » Tue Sep 24, 2019 6:49 pm

Hi all,

I've got some questions:

Referee

Is there any rules for the Signed Date and Application Date or UKVCAS Appointment Date (Eg. withing 28 days)?
Can the Referee sign after I have submitted online application?

I'm planning to apply this weekend and my Referee said they will sign my forms in next week gathering. In my case, the signed date would be a couple of days after application date.
And on Gov.UK Online website, it puts the notice that there will be a delay in booking UKVCAS Appointment due to the workload of applications. So, I worried that the signed date is 1-1.5 months far from actual biometric appointment date.

Trips After Application Date

I'm planning to apply beginning of Oct and I've got some trips planned later in Oct & Nov.
Am I allowed to travel with my ILR BRP Card?
Do I need to notify HO about these when I got back to UK?

I couldn't see anything related to it in this guide - https://www.gov.uk/apply-citizenship-in ... ve-applied

Trips After Approval Letter
Due to current timeline in other forum posts, there is a chance that normal application would take only 4-6 weeks. So, there is a chance that my application is approved in late Nov. I've got a long Holiday booked going away from UK in December. Since I can attend the citizenship ceremony within 90 days of approval, my plan is to attend it only when I get back to UK in Jan.

Is that ok to travel with BRP card after approval (Before Citizenship Ceremony)?

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Tue Sep 24, 2019 7:00 pm

1. Referee - ideally should be signed before you apply. There is no '28 days rule' but they cannot have signed the form 'months ago'.

2. You are free to travel once you have submitted. You do NOT have to notify HO.

3. You are only British once you attend the ceremony. Until then, you are only an ILR BRP holder and free to travel.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.