ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Earning a foreign based salary for the income requirement?

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé/e | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

BobbyBoo
Newly Registered
South Africa

Earning a foreign based salary for the income requirement?

Post by BobbyBoo » Thu Sep 19, 2019 2:18 pm

Hi, I have a question for you knowledgeable people. Hopefully someone can provide some guidance.

Here is the situation:

My wife is a British citizen, I am not. Neither are the kids.
We currently all reside together outside the UK.
My wife stays at home and takes care of the kids (tough job!).
We rely on my single salaried income to provide for the family.
We will be applying for a settlement visa for the family under her citizenship, and all move to the UK.

Here is the interesting bit:

I will continue to work remotely for the same company once the family is settled in the UK.
My remote work salary will cover all our family provisions while in the UK.
My wife will continue to do the tough job of looking after the kids as she does now.
Yes, I do realise I will need to register for UK tax, as there are implications for foreign based income and double tax agreements.

Here is my question: For the income requirement, potentially I have two routes:

1. Go the full savings route by simply selling our house and doing all the required paperwork prior to submission.
2. If possible - and here is my query - rather use my salary as proof of the income requirement.

For route #1, it is pretty straight forward, but requires us to sell the house. Something I hesitate to do right now for various reasons.

For route #2, the salary requirement I meet easily. However, reading the documentation on gov.uk there does not seem to be guidance on my situation where I can be physically residing in the UK but earning a foreign based salary? Also, it is unclear exactly if I can combine my salary earnings with my wife in this situation. It seems like using salaried income must be from the sponsor (my wife) and not the applicant.

Any advise? Or can you point me to the right place in the legalese?

Thanks all.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Earning a foreign based salary for the income requirement?

Post by CR001 » Thu Sep 19, 2019 2:31 pm

You cannot use your income/salary to meet the financial requirement based on income for the initial spouse visa.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

BobbyBoo
Newly Registered
South Africa

Post by BobbyBoo » Thu Sep 19, 2019 2:37 pm

I suspected so. Thanks. Don't know why I bothered typing out all those words to begin with :P

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Thu Sep 19, 2019 2:43 pm

BobbyBoo wrote:
Thu Sep 19, 2019 2:37 pm
I suspected so. Thanks. Don't know why I bothered typing out all those words to begin with :P
lol :P
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.