ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Can a divorced non EEA national apply for british citizenship or retained right of residence?

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

1moretime
Newly Registered
China

Can a divorced non EEA national apply for british citizenship or retained right of residence?

Post by 1moretime » Fri Sep 20, 2019 6:34 pm

Hello everyone,
I hope someone here can shed some lights on my case, I am very confused after reading the rule and regulations online.

I got married in 2010 with a EEA national in London, I received a residence card for 5 years as a EEA family member, we separated in 2013, in 2016 I have been issued a residence card stating permanent residence till 2026 still as a family member of union citizen. We finally devorced in Sep 2019.

My question is, what option do I have now to continue live and work in the UK as a Non EEA national? Can I apply for a British citizenship? Or can I apply for the retained right of residence? Is there a timeline I must comply?

If anyone in a similar situation, or someone knows what to do, please kindly advice. Thank you all so much!

Facts: no children, both holding a permanent job.

secret.simon

Re: Can a divorced non EEA national apply for british citizenship or retained right of residence?

Post by secret.simon » Fri Sep 20, 2019 7:13 pm

1moretime wrote:
Fri Sep 20, 2019 6:34 pm
in 2016 I have been issued a residence card stating permanent residence till 2026 still as a family member of union citizen.
As you have received a Permanent Residence Card in 2016, you can apply for British citizenship provided you meet the other requirements (physical presence, absence, LITUK, English language, etc).
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

1moretime
Newly Registered
China

Re: Can a divorced non EEA national apply for british citizenship or retained right of residence?

Post by 1moretime » Fri Sep 20, 2019 9:21 pm

Thank you very much @secret Simon, do you have a link saying that a dovorced Non EEA national can apply? I only found the sentence indicating an EEA family member can apply on the UK government site, am I missing something?

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Fri Sep 20, 2019 11:53 pm

Anyone who has PR and meets the requirements can apply for citizenship, which is under UK nationality laws and has nothing do with EU rules or regulations.

You apply in form AN online.

You are obviously misreading something but as you have not posted a link to what it is, we can't comment.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.