ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Visitor visa / Partner visa and max duration query for new traveller

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

traveluk12
Newly Registered

Visitor visa / Partner visa and max duration query for new traveller

Post by traveluk12 » Sat Sep 21, 2019 1:22 pm

Hi
I have a query about partner visa and visitor visa. Because a marriage certificate would be required for a partner visa, and getting that is a long process, can the partner visit on a Visitor visa till the certificate is issued ?
The process of getting a certificate now requires the couple to apply together and then return in 30 days to collect it in person. This is a problem due to work commitments and its not possible to get leaves again in 30 days. So we might collect it in a few months. But in the mean time, can she visit me on a standard visitor visa ? And how long can she visit me for ?
And, I think as a standard visitor, she would need to show hotel bookings for like 3 months ? that is not very practical ?

If I say she is staying with me is that ok ? Can she stay with me as a standard visitor ?

secret.simon

Re: Visitor visa / Partner visa and max duration query for new traveller

Post by secret.simon » Sat Sep 21, 2019 5:43 pm

What is your UK immigration status? Are you a British citizen, an EEA citizen or here on a work or other visa?
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

traveluk12
Newly Registered

Post by traveluk12 » Sun Sep 22, 2019 10:28 am

I am on General Work Visa, and have been here for a couple of years.

seagul
Diamond Member
Mood:

Post by seagul » Sun Sep 22, 2019 2:56 pm

traveluk12 wrote:
Sat Sep 21, 2019 1:22 pm
. Because a marriage certificate would be required for a partner visa, and getting that is a long process, can the partner visit on a Visitor visa till the certificate is issued ?
The process of getting a certificate now requires the couple to apply together and then return in 30 days to collect it in person.
Had both of you met in person on the day of wedding? If yes then marriage certificate must have been issued straight away. If not then according to UKVI policy the couple must have met to each other
The opinion expressed as above is neither a professional advice nor contesting/competing to other member's opinion/advice.

traveluk12
Newly Registered

Post by traveluk12 » Sun Sep 22, 2019 3:58 pm

We have been chatting for a year now and I have met her a few times when I went home on holiday in the last year.
The marriage certificate takes 30 days to get issued and the bride and groom need to go on day 1 and day 30 in person to collect.
My question is, can she stay with me for 3 months as a standard visitor ?
Will her visiting me as a standard visitor make any difference when we apply for spouse visa later in future ?

seagul
Diamond Member
Mood:

Post by seagul » Sun Sep 22, 2019 4:11 pm

traveluk12 wrote:
Sun Sep 22, 2019 3:58 pm
My question is, can she stay with me for 3 months as a standard visitor ?
Yes
traveluk12 wrote:

Will her visiting me as a standard visitor make any difference when we apply for spouse visa later in future ?
No.
The opinion expressed as above is neither a professional advice nor contesting/competing to other member's opinion/advice.

traveluk12
Newly Registered

Post by traveluk12 » Sun Sep 22, 2019 4:47 pm

So for standard visitor if they ask who am I in relation to her, what does she say ? Friend ? Husband ? Fiance ?
If she says husband they will say where is certificate ?
Can we say friend? And then in few months spouse ?

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Sun Sep 22, 2019 4:48 pm

Best not to lie to HO.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

Casa

Post by Casa » Sun Sep 22, 2019 4:58 pm

traveluk12 wrote:
We have been chatting for a year now and I have met her a few times when I went home on holiday in the last year.
Your post in unclear. Have you married yet?

CR001 has given you good advice. If you are married and she declares you as a friend in a visitor visa application, you will find yourself in deep water later on when you apply for a Spouse dependent visa and are required to submit evidence of your marriage.

All information given in previous visa applications is held on the UKVI system for cross-reference. :idea:
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

seagul
Diamond Member
Mood:

Post by seagul » Sun Sep 22, 2019 5:27 pm

seagul wrote:
Sun Sep 22, 2019 2:56 pm

Had both of you met in person on the day of wedding?
You didn't reply that

traveluk12
Newly Registered

Post by traveluk12 » Sun Sep 22, 2019 5:44 pm

Apologies.. we aren't married yet, but will be shortly. The thing is I will need to make 2 visits back home once to marry, second to get the certificate. Unfortunately due to my job I cannot make the 2 visits within 30 days of each other. Hence I was asking that can I get her here as a standard visitor and tell the HO that she is my wife but we don't have the certificate yet so she is coming as a visitor ?
Is that acceptable ? Would she be allowed to stay with me as a standard visitor with the reasoning given above ?

seagul
Diamond Member
Mood:

Post by seagul » Sun Sep 22, 2019 5:59 pm

traveluk12 wrote:
Sun Sep 22, 2019 5:44 pm
Apologies.. we aren't married yet, but will be shortly. The thing is I will need to make 2 visits back home once to marry, second to get the certificate. Unfortunately due to my job I cannot make the 2 visits within 30 days of each other. Hence I was asking that can I get her here as a standard visitor and tell the HO that she is my wife but we don't have the certificate yet so she is coming as a visitor ?
Is that acceptable ? Would she be allowed to stay with me as a standard visitor with the reasoning given above ?
That's what I was suspecting from your replies. I have never heard that anyone need to travel again only for applying the marriage certificate in person along with other partner. A legally performed marriage always produce the marriage certificate if not on the spot but in few days/weeks which doesnt require any further application to apply unless in case where its being lost/misplaced. Until you haven't married you can state her as your friend in visitor visa application but upon marrying you can't lie and the same will also reduce her chance to get the visitor visa. I will suggest you to apply dependant visa instead visitor visa if you are marrying soon and I m definitely sure that you won't have to travel only for marriage certificate which is the reason you are intending to apply her visitor visa.

Casa

Post by Casa » Sun Sep 22, 2019 6:18 pm

If she applies for a visitor visa, I suggest she states the truth that she is your fiancee, rather than just a friend.

However, unless she can submit evidence of a stronger reason to return to her home country than she has to remain in the UK, the chance of being granted a visitor visa is slim.
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

seagul
Diamond Member
Mood:

Post by seagul » Sun Sep 22, 2019 6:30 pm

The term fiancee is mostly appropriate where someone is engaged prior to the marriage although varies from culture/country to country. A girlfriend soon to be married without prior being engaged can be a friend too.

Casa

Post by Casa » Sun Sep 22, 2019 6:38 pm

seagul wrote:
Sun Sep 22, 2019 6:30 pm
The term fiancee is mostly appropriate where someone is engaged prior to the marriage although varies from culture/country to country. A girlfriend soon to be married without prior being engaged can be a friend too.
We'll have to agree to disagree on this point. :|
(Casa, not CR001)

traveluk12
Newly Registered

Post by traveluk12 » Sun Sep 22, 2019 9:04 pm

Thanks... I'm sure about the marriage certificate rules and unfortunately to get the certificate, it now does take a month. It's some new rule.
So basically she will have to book a hotel for a couple of months or visit for couple of weeks as a tourist. Then make another trip as a tourist...
That's really sad, to have a system like this