ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Best route to obtain a UK visa for spouse

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé/e | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

Hiraxalisha
Newly Registered

Best route to obtain a UK visa for spouse

Post by Hiraxalisha » Tue Sep 24, 2019 1:29 pm

Hi there,
I’m a British citizen who has recently got married to my husband who is Pakistani nationality.

We had a civil marriage ceremony in Italy. This is because he lives and works in Italy through a Permesso di soggiorno. He couldn’t come to the uk to get married so I flew over to Italy to get married there. We will be issued a marriage certificate in the coming few days (it’s in Italian).

We met about 2 years ago and also have a 7 month daughter. He is named as the father on her birth certificate. I have travelled to Italy 3 times to visit him during these 2 years.

I was wondering what is the best route to get him to come and live with me in the UK?
Is spouse visa the only option? Or is there a better option, As I’ve heard of many horror stories and low success rate with spouse visa as they can refuse for the tiniest reason.
Could the fact that he lives and works in an EU county be of any additional benefit? Or not really as he isn’t an EU citizen/ passport holder.
Any other tips would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Best route to obtain a UK visa for spouse

Post by CR001 » Tue Sep 24, 2019 1:31 pm

Is spouse visa the only option? Or is there a better option,
You only have the spouse visa option.
Could the fact that he lives and works in an EU county be of any additional benefit? Or not really as he isn’t an EU citizen/ passport holder.
No benefit as he is not an EU citizen.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

Hiraxalisha
Newly Registered

Post by Hiraxalisha » Tue Sep 24, 2019 1:56 pm

Thank you CR001 for your reply.

Ok if spouse visa is the best (or more like only) option, could you please link me to any threads on this website that may be use to me regarding spouse visa.
Any threads with tips, examples, extra stuff that sometimes people can easily miss, etc. I’ve seen a few threads a long while back, but can’t seem to find them.
I will be getting the help of a solicitor hopefully to fill in forms properly and make sure I don’t miss anything.
But yeah, anything, just anything that that can help, especially something like a thread explaining step by step very detailed instructions for each part of the application that someone whose applicated has been successful used.

Thank you

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Tue Sep 24, 2019 2:01 pm

You need to follow the UKVI guidance and meet all the requirements. He needs to meet the English requirement and you must meet the financial requirement of £18,600pa.

https://www.gov.uk/uk-family-visa/partner-spouse

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.u ... -ext_1.pdf

Simply ask questions in this topic if you are unsure of anything.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

geoeng
Canada

Post by geoeng » Tue Sep 24, 2019 2:07 pm

Try not to get overwhelmed by the experience of others as everyone's circumstances are unique. If you meet the requirements and can demonstrate this with documentation, the process is not as difficult as it may seem.
I'm just a guy on the Internet who immigrated to the UK. My opinions are based on my experience and interpretation of the immigration rules and should not be considered legal or immigration advice; your mileage may vary.

Hiraxalisha
Newly Registered

Post by Hiraxalisha » Tue Sep 24, 2019 2:36 pm

CR001 wrote:
Tue Sep 24, 2019 2:01 pm
You need to follow the UKVI guidance and meet all the requirements. He needs to meet the English requirement and you must meet the financial requirement of £18,600pa.

https://www.gov.uk/uk-family-visa/partner-spouse

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.u ... -ext_1.pdf

Simply ask questions in this topic if you are unsure of anything.
Ok thank you.
For the English requirements, he has to take the test. I found a link with a list of worldwide test centres. Is the first one in the list on page 10 ok. It’s in Rome, Italy. Is that the correct test centre type / exam and facet? https://assets.publishing.service.gov.u ... ebsite.pdf

Actually one of the first questions I should be asking is, which county should my husband apply from? Or in other words does he have to move back to Pakistan to apply via pakistan as he’s a Pakistani citizen. Or is it ok if he applies as a Pakistani citizen but continue living/working in Italy. So he can do the English language test etc in Italy. Or for all that does he have to temporarily move back to Pakistan? If he had to move back to Pakistan it would be really difficult for him.

If in the coming few days/ weeks/ months I have any other questions, or I have questions whilst preparing the paperwork, do I just reply to messages in this thread or start another thread specifically for spouse visa. Because the title of this thread is not really about spouse visa exactly, but more of a question about which visa is best..

Thanks a lot for any replies.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Tue Sep 24, 2019 2:53 pm

For the English requirements, he has to take the test. I found a link with a list of worldwide test centres. Is the first one in the list on page 10 ok. It’s in Rome, Italy. Is that the correct test centre type / exam and facet? https://assets.publishing.service.gov.u ... ebsite.pdf
Yes and he needs a minimum A1 level. Do you meet the financial requirement??
Actually one of the first questions I should be asking is, which county should my husband apply from? Or in other words does he have to move back to Pakistan to apply via pakistan as he’s a Pakistani citizen. Or is it ok if he applies as a Pakistani citizen but continue living/working in Italy. So he can do the English language test etc in Italy. Or for all that does he have to temporarily move back to Pakistan? If he had to move back to Pakistan it would be really difficult for him.
He can apply in any country where he has legal residence, i.e. not a tourist or visitor.
If in the coming few days/ weeks/ months I have any other questions, or I have questions whilst preparing the paperwork, do I just reply to messages in this thread or start another thread specifically for spouse visa. Because the title of this thread is not really about spouse visa exactly, but more of a question about which visa is best..
Continue with all your questions in this thread please.
Char (CR001 not Casa)

Hiraxalisha
Newly Registered

Post by Hiraxalisha » Tue Sep 24, 2019 3:06 pm

CR001 wrote:
Tue Sep 24, 2019 2:53 pm
Yes and he needs a minimum A1 level. Do you meet the financial requirement??
He can apply in any country where he has legal residence, i.e. not a tourist or visitor.
Continue with all your questions in this thread please.
Ok I’m not really sure how to quote reply to individual sentences rather than the whole message. So I’ll just reply like this until I figure it out:

Ok, A1 level. Noted.
Yes I meet the financial requirements.
And yes he is living in Italy legally.

Thank you. If I have any other questions I’ll know where to ask. :)

AmazonianX
Respected Guru

Post by AmazonianX » Tue Sep 24, 2019 3:12 pm

We are in good hands on this website, moderators and contributors do their very best to provide guidance always.
You need to check that you meet the Financial threshold.
Will think he should be able to apply from Italy so far he is not there on a Visit or short term Visa.
Continue your questions on this thread and you will get attended to; moderators are strict on creating multiple threads.

Hiraxalisha
Newly Registered

Post by Hiraxalisha » Tue Sep 24, 2019 3:28 pm

Yes thank you. This website seems AMAZING. Was just having a quick browse and The amount of information it has is overwhelming, but in a good way! :D

Hiraxalisha
Newly Registered

Post by Hiraxalisha » Tue Sep 24, 2019 3:45 pm

Oh, quick question. My marriage certificate will be in Italian. I’m going to receive it in a few days.
I understand it will need to be translated (certified translation) into English and only then can it be used for the application.

I thought I’ll get it translated whilst I’m here in Italy. I have found a list of approved translators given to me by the British embassy. https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... s-in-italy

I contacted the British embassy and she said that the certified translation may also need to be legalised too (don’t know what that means) to be accepted. She said she’s not sure though. Is that true?

Also incase I cannot get it translated by one of the ones in the list, can I get a certified translation by an embassy. The British embassy don’t provide this service, but the Pakistani embassy in Rome does. My husband will have to go there anyway to get a translation of the Italian marriage certificate into English, to send to Pakistan to the local office there so they can log the marriage (helps for future if we want to take our daughter to Pakistan).
Anyway, whilst he’s there should he also get a certified translation for me too, by the Pakistani embassy? Or will that be a problem? As it’s not a British embassy? They will do all the stamping etc to show it’s a true translation of the original and stuff.
Or should I just get it translated back in the UK? I asked one company in the UK (home office approved apparently) and they do it for min £199+VAT which is so expensive.

Is there more benefit getting it translated in the country it was issued?

I know it’s such a trivial question but it’s gotta be done.

Thanks

Thanks

Jaune08
Mexico

Post by Jaune08 » Tue Sep 24, 2019 5:44 pm

Hiraxalisha wrote:
Tue Sep 24, 2019 3:45 pm
Oh, quick question. My marriage certificate will be in Italian. I’m going to receive it in a few days.
I understand it will need to be translated (certified translation) into English and only then can it be used for the application.
The certified translation can be from any authority in any country, as long as it is certified. It doesn't necessarily have to be from an authority in the UK. When I applied for the spouse visa, I got a translation certificate issued by an authority in my home country, because the certified translations in the UK are way more expensive compared to Mexico. And it passed without any issue.

What you need to do, since you got married abroad, first to get an apostille for your marriage certificate in Italy, which states the document is legal in the country where it was issued. And then you can get a certified translation.

Hiraxalisha
Newly Registered

Post by Hiraxalisha » Tue Sep 24, 2019 6:49 pm

Ok thanks for that info. Any idea where I can get it apostille stamped in Italy?

Hiraxalisha
Newly Registered

Post by Hiraxalisha » Tue Sep 24, 2019 7:28 pm

Ok,
I understand I can get a certified translation of my Italian marriage certificate in the Pakistan embassy in Rome.

However I’m really confused about one thing.
Does the marriage certificate need an apostille stamp? Or legalisation?
Does the certified translation need an apostille stamp? Or legalisation?

Is apostille stamp and legalisation the same thing?

Jaune08
Mexico

Post by Jaune08 » Tue Sep 24, 2019 11:02 pm

Hiraxalisha wrote:
Tue Sep 24, 2019 7:28 pm
Ok,
I understand I can get a certified translation of my Italian marriage certificate in the Pakistan embassy in Rome.

However I’m really confused about one thing.
Does the marriage certificate need an apostille stamp? Or legalisation?
Does the certified translation need an apostille stamp? Or legalisation?

Is apostille stamp and legalisation the same thing?
The apostille and the legalisation documents are pretty much the same. Its a way to certify an official document is valid and legal in the country of issuance. The difference between them is that some documents are subject to get a legalisation and others to get an apostille (like a marriage certificate).

Here’s the sequence
1. Get the apostille stamp on the marriage certificate. Find which Italian authority can issue an apostille on marriage certificates in Italy.
2. Once you have the apostille on the marriage certificate, find someone who can issue a certified translation (in Italy, Pakistan, your choice). This order is better as sometimes the apostilles are already written in English, but some don’t. In this way, you will get the certified translation of the marriage certificate + apostille (if it isn’t in English).

Is it clear for you? :)

Hiraxalisha
Newly Registered

Post by Hiraxalisha » Wed Sep 25, 2019 6:46 am

Ok so from what I understand:
1) get original marriage certificate with apostille stamp.
2) translate the original marriage certificate with apostille stamp. The translation doesn’t need further legalisation/ apostille.

I have been seeing on this website on many threads that it’s not necessary for foreign marriage certificate to get an apostille stamp. Many people have only needed a certified translation.
Is this true.
Also if it is required , is getting legalisation (rather than getting apostille stamp) acceptable for the marriage certificate. Because I’m finding it hard to get apostille.
I have searched online and have no idea of which authority in Italy issues apostille stamp :(