ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Driving license 12 months period

This is an area for the discussion of matters related to issues about moving from one country to another. Examples could be about money transfer, moving and packing, validity of driving licence, etc..

It is not a general non-immigration, free-for-all area.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

mshahabkaleem
Newly Registered

Driving license 12 months period

Post by mshahabkaleem » Thu Sep 26, 2019 10:34 am

Hi,

I have recently switched from a Tier 4 student visa to a Tier 2 (General) visa. I held the Tier 4 visa for one year during my Master's before switching to a Tier 2 visa to commence employment recently. I understand you can drive in the UK on your international license (and I have rented multiple times in the UK) for one year from becoming a resident, my question is does my 12 month period of residency count from the start of my Tier 4 visa which was August 2018, or when I completed 182 days (I heard this is the technical definition of becoming a 'resident', I'm not sure), or from August 2019 when I got my Tier 2 visa and a new BRP, in which case I can still use my international license?

By international license I mean my driving license issued in Pakistan which is in English and I also have an International Driver's Permit, just to clear any confusions.

Thanks in advance for any advice!

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Driving license 12 months period

Post by CR001 » Thu Sep 26, 2019 10:36 am

It starts from the date you ENTERED the UK on your Tier 4 student visa.

It doesn't 'reset' simply because you have a different visa now.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

mshahabkaleem
Newly Registered

Re: Driving license 12 months period

Post by mshahabkaleem » Thu Sep 26, 2019 10:44 am

CR001 wrote:
Thu Sep 26, 2019 10:36 am
It starts from the date you ENTERED the UK on your Tier 4 student visa.

It doesn't 'reset' simply because you have a different visa now.
Understood, thank you!