ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Spouse Settlement to Citizenship efficiently

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé/e | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

kashmeregoat
Newly Registered
Mood:

Spouse Settlement to Citizenship efficiently

Post by kashmeregoat » Fri Sep 27, 2019 11:16 am

Dear All

Would anyone be able to advise the most efficient way of being granted british citizenship for someone who has entered on a spouse settlement visa Appendix FM?

How soon after being granted the Initial 2.5year entry clearence, may one apply for FLR(M), further more, how soon after may one apply for ILR, and how soon after that for british citizenship?

Sorry if this has been asked already, I did use the search function to no avail.

Regards

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Spouse Settlement to Citizenship efficiently

Post by CR001 » Fri Sep 27, 2019 11:20 am

Would anyone be able to advise the most efficient way of being granted british citizenship for someone who has entered on a spouse settlement visa Appendix FM?
ILR is required before citizenship can be applied for. ILR requires 5 years residence.
How soon after being granted the Initial 2.5year entry clearence, may one apply for FLR(M), further more, how soon after may one apply for ILR, and how soon after that for british citizenship?
As the person you appear to be asking about only recently entered the UK on a spouse visa, they would apply for an extension on FLR(M) no sooner than within 28 days before reaching 2.5 years or 30 months residence, counted from date of entry. Again, 5 years residence, from date of entry to the UK, is required for ILR and the same '28 days' concession applies, i.e. no sooner than within 28 days before reaching 60 months residence.

There is NO fast track route to citizenship, however once they have ILR and are married to a British citizen and meet all the requirements based on 3 years residence (different to the ILR 5 years residence requirement), they can apply immediately for British citizenship.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

kashmeregoat
Newly Registered
Mood:

Post by kashmeregoat » Fri Sep 27, 2019 11:31 am

CR001 wrote:
Fri Sep 27, 2019 11:20 am
ILR is required before citizenship can be applied for. ILR requires 5 years residence.
As the person you appear to be asking about only recently entered the UK on a spouse visa, they would apply for an extension on FLR(M) no sooner than within 28 days before reaching 2.5 years or 30 months residence, counted from date of entry. Again, 5 years residence, from date of entry to the UK, is required for ILR and the same '28 days' concession applies, i.e. no sooner than within 28 days before reaching 60 months residence.

There is NO fast track route to citizenship, however once they have ILR and are married to a British citizen and meet all the requirements based on 3 years residence (different to the ILR 5 years residence requirement), they can apply immediately for British citizenship.
Thank you CR001.

Would I then be correct to assume the following?

Once FLR(M) has been granted, my spouse could apply for british citizenship 6months into FLR(M)? assuming by then there has been 3 years/36 months residence. And SET(M)/ILR will not be required.

Appreciate your responses.

Regards

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Fri Sep 27, 2019 11:41 am

kashmeregoat wrote:
Fri Sep 27, 2019 11:31 am
Thank you CR001.

Would I then be correct to assume the following?

Once FLR(M) has been granted, my spouse could apply for british citizenship 6months into FLR(M)? assuming by then there has been 3 years/36 months residence. And SET(M)/ILR will not be required.

Appreciate your responses.

Regards
No he cannot. He needs ILR first and that requires 5 years residence. ILR is mandatory for citizenship.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

kashmeregoat
Newly Registered
Mood:

Post by kashmeregoat » Fri Sep 27, 2019 11:46 am

Sorry, I am then struggling to understand the difference between the 3 years residence, and 5year ILR requirement?

If ILR is a mandatory requirement for citizenship, how does one obtain it at 3 years residence?

Regards

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Fri Sep 27, 2019 11:52 am

There is no 2 year route to ilr anymore, not since 8th July 2012. So previously it was a 2 year spouse visa and one year on ilr then citizenship.

Note that immigration rules (visas and ILR) are completely separate and independent of Nationality Act (citizenship) and each have different requirements.

Immigration rules are easy to change whereas nationality law is not. The 3 years residence if you are a spouse of a British citizenship doesn't change the 5 years residence required for ilr since 9th July 2012.

Citizenship based on 5 years residence which includes 1 year on ilr is based on Section 6(1) of the Nationality Act.

If a person is married to a British citizen, there is no requirement to wait 1 year on ilr and they apply based on 3 years residence which must include having ilr at the time of applying for citizenship based on Section 6(2) of the Nationality Act.
Char (CR001 not Casa)

kashmeregoat
Newly Registered
Mood:

Post by kashmeregoat » Fri Sep 27, 2019 1:12 pm

CR001 wrote:
Fri Sep 27, 2019 11:52 am
There is no 2 year route to ilr anymore, not since 8th July 2012. So previously it was a 2 year spouse visa and one year on ilr then citizenship.

Note that immigration rules (visas and ILR) are completely separate and independent of Nationality Act (citizenship) and each have different requirements.

Immigration rules are easy to change whereas nationality law is not. The 3 years residence if you are a spouse of a British citizenship doesn't change the 5 years residence required for ilr since 9th July 2012.

Citizenship based on 5 years residence which includes 1 year on ilr is based on Section 6(1) of the Nationality Act.

If a person is married to a British citizen, there is no requirement to wait 1 year on ilr and they apply based on 3 years residence which must include having ilr at the time of applying for citizenship based on Section 6(2) of the Nationality Act.
So, Spouse Visa(2.5 years), followed by FLR(M) (2.5 years), then as soon as ILR is granted, (12 months wait if NOT married to british citizen), can apply for citizenship.

I guess then, the 3 years residence is obselete. Would be interesting to see an example of where this could be used.. Gov UK still advertise "3 years if married to a british citizen" ... I wonder if the following situation would work...

Spouse Visa, FLR(M) 6 months in apply for citizenship, if its refused potentially take it to court? on grounds of 3 years residence? would the immigration rule here be overturned in respect of the law? Hmmm..

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Fri Sep 27, 2019 1:43 pm

So, Spouse Visa(2.5 years), followed by FLR(M) (2.5 years), then as soon as ILR is granted, (12 months wait if NOT married to british citizen), can apply for citizenship.
Yes.
I guess then, the 3 years residence is obselete. Would be interesting to see an example of where this could be used.. Gov UK still advertise "3 years if married to a british citizen"
No it is NOT obsolete, it is still very relevant and is SEPARATE to the ILR requirements. Many members, myself included, have applied under Section 6(2) as the spouse of BC 3 years residence (was under the old 2 year spouse visa though) but many with 5 years spouse visa have also applied immediately after getting ILR and been successful. Citizenship and ILR are different rules completely. You are misunderstanding or misinterpreting.
... I wonder if the following situation would work...

Spouse Visa, FLR(M) 6 months in apply for citizenship, if its refused potentially take it to court? on grounds of 3 years residence? would the immigration rule here be overturned in respect of the law? Hmmm..
You are grasping at straws and will only end up losing money. You cannot appeal a refused citizenship application so 'taking it to court' will get you absolutely nowhere. You nee ILR which is governed by the Immigration Rules Appendix FM. Citizenship has a mandatory requirement to be 'free from immigration time restrictions', i.e ILR and citizenship is WHOLLY governed by NATIONALITY LAW and the British Nationality Act and NOT the immigration rules.

https://www.gov.uk/british-citizenship
If you moved to the UK
You may be able to apply for citizenship by ‘naturalisation’, depending on your situation.

If you’re eligible in more than one way you can choose which way to apply.

You’re married to or in a civil partnership with a British citizen
To apply as the spouse or civil partner of a British citizen you must have lived in the UK for the last 3 years.

You’ll also need to have one of the following:

indefinite leave to remain
settled status under the EU Settlement Scheme
a permanent residence document to confirm you have permanent residence status

https://www.gov.uk/settle-in-the-uk/y/y ... ur-partner
If you do, you’ll be eligible to apply for citizenship immediately.
Find out if you can apply to settle in the UK
Start again
1What's your situation?
You're the family member or partner of a British citizen
Change this answer
2Did your family member or partner settle before they became a British citizen?
No
Change this answer
3What's your relationship to that person?
Partner
Change this answer
4What situation are you and your partner in?
You're still with your partner
Change this answer
You can apply as the partner of a British citizen or person settled in the UK
You may be eligible for settlement (indefinite leave to remain) if your partner is:

a British citizen
settled in the UK
Your current UK visa must be based on being their partner - this includes being:

their husband or wife
their civil partner
in a relationship that’s like a marriage or civil partnership
You must prove you’ve been living together since your last visa renewal. You must also intend to continue your relationship after you apply.

Eligibility
If you’ve got a family visa as a partner or spouse on the 5-year route, you must have been living in the UK for 5 years.

If you’re on the 2-year route, you must have been living in the UK on that visa for 2 years.

If you’re on the 10-year route, you must have been living in the UK on that visa for 10 years.

If you’re not sure which route you’re on, check the letter you got from the Home Office when your ‘leave to remain’ was last approved.
Char (CR001 not Casa)

Jaune08
Mexico

Post by Jaune08 » Fri Sep 27, 2019 9:38 pm

kashmeregoat wrote:
Fri Sep 27, 2019 1:12 pm
I guess then, the 3 years residence is obselete. Would be interesting to see an example of where this could be used.. Gov UK still advertise "3 years if married to a british citizen" ... I wonder if the following situation would work...

No. You’re getting it absolutely wrong!!!!!!!!! CR001 has accordingly explained it all.

This is how I explained it to my husband to make it even clearer: immigration law isn’t the same as Nationality law. They both carry different requirements.

1. According to the nationality law to qualify for British citizenship as a spouse, you need ILR and 3 years of living as a spouse of a British citizen. Ok????

2. So, in order to get ILR (Immigration Law), you need to live in the UK for 5 years under a spouse visa. That’s compulsory and NOT negotiable in court. That’s it. 5 years of legal residence or 10 in some particular cases.

3. But... what about those 3 years? You’re getting them from your ILR. You’re “borrowing” those 3 previous years of legal residence from your ILR to meet the requirement for citizenship. It’s not like you want to do: living under a spouse visa for 3 years and then applying for citizenship. That’s an absolute NO. Instead, you get ILR after 5 years, and then immediately apply for citizenship, and claim you already have those 3 years before you got ILR.

I hope it’s clearer now.

kashmeregoat
Newly Registered
Mood:

Post by kashmeregoat » Tue Oct 01, 2019 12:08 pm

Thank you both. Appreciate the educating.

Spouse Settlement Visa(2.5yrs) > FLR(M)(2.5 years), SET(M)(ILR)(do NOT wait 12 months), apply for Citizenship.

Regards

Jaune08
Mexico

Post by Jaune08 » Tue Oct 01, 2019 2:09 pm

kashmeregoat wrote:
Tue Oct 01, 2019 12:08 pm
Spouse Settlement Visa(2.5yrs) > FLR(M)(2.5 years), SET(M)(ILR)(do NOT wait 12 months), apply for Citizenship.
Exactly! You’re welcome :)

kroketa
Newly Registered

Post by kroketa » Sat Oct 19, 2019 8:58 pm

CR001 wrote:
Could you please clarify from when to count the qualifying period of continuous residence - the UK spouse visa start date or from the day of the first entry to the UK?

Somebody from the "UK Visas and Immigration contact centre" hotline (Telephone: 0300 123 2241) told me that the residence period should be counted from the day the spouse visa was granted, rather than when the spouse entered into the UK, as long as the entry took place less than 180 days after the visa's start date. This is for the ILR 5-year scenario for an applicant who is a current spouse of a British citizen present and settled in the UK.

The same HO person told me that the above is written in the HO guidance document "Indefinite leave to remain: Calculating continuous period in UK" - link immigration-for-family-members/spouse-s ... V6FVHsjMWF

On page 8, it indeed states that "The period between entry clearance being issued and the applicant entering the UK may be counted toward the qualifying period."

If the start date is indeed counted from the day of entry then please point to the relevant document that states this.

Many thanks,

Cyril

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Sat Oct 19, 2019 9:25 pm

kroketa wrote:
Sat Oct 19, 2019 8:58 pm
CR001 wrote:
Could you please clarify from when to count the qualifying period of continuous residence - the UK spouse visa start date or from the day of the first entry to the UK?

Somebody from the "UK Visas and Immigration contact centre" hotline (Telephone: 0300 123 2241) told me that the residence period should be counted from the day the spouse visa was granted, rather than when the spouse entered into the UK, as long as the entry took place less than 180 days after the visa's start date. This is for the ILR 5-year scenario for an applicant who is a current spouse of a British citizen present and settled in the UK.

The same HO person told me that the above is written in the HO guidance document "Indefinite leave to remain: Calculating continuous period in UK" - link immigration-for-family-members/spouse-s ... V6FVHsjMWF

On page 8, it indeed states that "The period between entry clearance being issued and the applicant entering the UK may be counted toward the qualifying period."

If the start date is indeed counted from the day of entry then please point to the relevant document that states this.

Many thanks,

Cyril
1. You should ask your questions in your own topic instead of tagging onto another members thread!!

3. It is ONLY those on PBS dependent visas whose qualifying period count from visa issue date. Spouse settlement visas count from date of entry to the UK.

3. The "calculating residence" link you posted very clearly states which visa categories it applies to, PBS, Ancestry etc. It does NOT apply to spouse settlement visas under Appendix FM.

4. The 180 days absence applies ONLY to PBS route (main and dependent) and Ancestry visas. It does NOT apply to spouse settlement visas under Appendix FM!!

5. The call centre is outsourced to a third party agent. You are not talking to ho staff.
Char (CR001 not Casa)

Casa

Post by Casa » Sat Oct 19, 2019 9:30 pm

Further to CR001's advice, the outsourced agency staff are poorly trained and frequently give incorrect advice, even on the simplest of immigration issues. Neither will they accept any responsibility for the consequences of the flawed guidance they have given. :idea: :idea:
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

kroketa
Newly Registered

Post by kroketa » Mon Oct 21, 2019 8:34 pm

Thank you both - really glad to have double checked with you! As advised, will probably create a separate thread on my questions.