ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Will any employer show any interest if I were to look for jo

Employers looking for workers, people looking for employers: Get connected here.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

netacct

Will any employer show any interest if I were to look for jo

Post by netacct » Wed Jul 16, 2008 9:07 pm

Hi All,

I joined a company X one month back. Its permanent role, 3 months probation and one weeks notice during that period.
However, I want to leave this company. The reason being work culture and actual work. Here, usually no one talks to any one, very dull, calm and quite. No one takes tea/drink/lunch together. No meeting. Manager will have meeting with team leads only. If there is any work he will just say that to you. No one knows what is happening, who is doing what etc. For most of the communication we use MSN messenger. On top of that, work is pathetic. I could not imagine such a dull environment and I really don't want to work at such a place.

My question is, if I start looking for job again will any agency/company show interest considering that I have been here only for a month?

Thanks in advance for any suggestion/advice.

ubugger

Post by ubugger » Thu Jul 17, 2008 11:44 am

Leaving permanent roles so soon is highly frowned upon. Obviously you can give them reasons why, etc, but you'll be forever explaining yourself and 'not liking' an environment isn't a good excuse because the next employer will be thinking 'what, will you leave if you don't like it here too?'... Some work places are like that, there's not much you can do about it either...

netacct

Post by netacct » Thu Jul 17, 2008 10:39 pm

What if I were to look for contract role and not show this one?
I just don't wanna work here and I am ready to take any chance.

CoolestGuyC
Member of Standing

Post by CoolestGuyC » Fri Jul 18, 2008 9:32 am

Would this job not show on your tax documents? I mean you would need to submit your P45 to next employer, so may be no way to escape from showing this employment.

And in general, I agree what you are describing, somehow uk companies are dull and boring in terms of office life, no interaction, no talking, no lunches or tea time together. Especially if you work in a small company, you would be very fortunate to find a lively company (especially in IT).

Indian companies are completely opposite, there would be Onsite parties, Team lunches, Team's day out in nearby resorts, yearly townhalls, weekly team meetings, etc. And daily office environments would be fun to be in. Haven't heard of such concepts in any uk companies. (or may be my knowledge related to uk companies is poor).

Hard luck!

kapoor@yahoo.com

Post by kapoor@yahoo.com » Fri Jul 18, 2008 9:43 am

netacct -

Dont worry too much on what potential employer/job agent would think because it all depends upon demand and supply. If your skills match the requirements, you'll definitely get an interview call and there you have to come up with ( well thought and diplomatic) excuse (excluding bad wording about your current employer).

don’t hide this experience, as you may have to go through pre-employment check in most cases .

nshar1

Post by nshar1 » Fri Jul 18, 2008 1:16 pm

Netact,
You don't have to hide this job. Explaining joblessness is tougher than explaining leaving a job early. A jobless person has lesser respect than early leavers. Also please don't count on the contract market.

You will face some questions on why you are leaving so early. Be ready with a good reason - something like too much travel overseas/to clients or company is outsourcing its jobs or company is changing its platform to java and want to train you on java.

On the other hand, If you really want to hide this job, P45 or background verification would not reveal this job as the target of a background verification is the references you provide(nobody has the time to look at anything else). You can easily hide your P45 - you don't have to give it to your employer(Its kinda written on the P45).

A word of caution - As soon as you float your CV you will receive many calls from consultants you want to find out about the position you are vacating and may contact your manager - remember these people have no ethics and are very desparate these days(It seems their jobs are at stake because of lack of new business :) ).

You have everyright to be happy and work at a place where you like working. Go ahead and look for a better place for you.

All the best !!

NShar1

dnicky
Member of Standing

Post by dnicky » Fri Jul 18, 2008 2:40 pm

The reason being work culture and actual work. Here, usually no one talks to any one, very dull, calm and quite. No one takes tea/drink/lunch together.
This is the situation in many company across UK, and I'm not saying in all the companies. No one can guarantee that the environment would be any different in the new place where you may take up work.

If your frustration is due to the type of work that you are doing then you are always free to look for alternatives, but if it is because oft he above reason then will suggest to re-consider your options.

namastelondon

Post by namastelondon » Fri Jul 18, 2008 7:43 pm

Dnicky is right . Netacct u have been searching for job and changing jobs from a long time.I mean if u change to a new company and ur salary is less but everything is good then also u will look for change. I will say that u work in this company for some months or may be a year and then look for change.I u want to change than look for a job and then resign.Earlier also u have joined a company and left that also. so it has been near about 4-5 months.I have changed 4 companies in my last year and all big companies in india. I Wud say that if u get a offer within 1 month of joining then dont show ur existing employer's experience but otherwise work for some months. For changing a job i think most imp thing is reason now a days then skills.

netacct

Post by netacct » Fri Jul 18, 2008 8:44 pm

Hi All,

Thank you very much for your replies.
I do understand that there are always some plus/minus about every job but when the Work and Work culture both is pathetic then it becomes very different specially when you come from different atmosphere.

I managed to get one contract interview next week and I have already told them that I want to leave just after one month.

In worst case, I will go back to my previous employer rather than working at such a dull place with no technical growth.

ashishashah
India

Post by ashishashah » Fri Jul 18, 2008 11:52 pm

I fully agree..if u dont like working at a place, then each minute becomes a nightmare,forget months/year..
But frankly, in UK all cos have similar culture...Totally opposite to in India...Here, ppl. dont go for tea every 1 hour wiyh collegues...infact even lunch is on desk,..(In my last 12 years, i have wlays gone for lunch with at least 2/3 ppl., some times even 5-6)..we would go for snacks again at 4 /5 p.m...But heer ppl. just work and then go home...Which i think is fair..It is a WORKPLACE .,ppl. dont know abt. each other in office..While i knew details about my team members..

I would say , u will find similar exp. in UK,but doenst mean u shd. stick here...my 2 cents

vnvijay

Post by vnvijay » Sun Jul 20, 2008 3:37 am

Hi,

Which feild are you working for? IT or Non -IT.

VJ
netacct wrote:Hi All,

Thank you very much for your replies.
I do understand that there are always some plus/minus about every job but when the Work and Work culture both is pathetic then it becomes very different specially when you come from different atmosphere.

I managed to get one contract interview next week and I have already told them that I want to leave just after one month.

In worst case, I will go back to my previous employer rather than working at such a dull place with no technical growth.

netacct

Post by netacct » Sun Jul 20, 2008 8:06 pm

I work into IT.

I have worked for 5 years in UK in tow companies but did not witness this kind of dullness previously or heard.

But if so many people on this thread are saying that it is quite common in UK then I am also seriously thinking about my next move.
After all, there is no guarantee that the next company if I were to join will offer me fun working environment.

Thanks all for your inputs.

yewhongwei79

Post by yewhongwei79 » Mon Jul 28, 2008 11:43 pm

Ever since the first day I came to UK and work, I have been complaining to my wife every day about the working culture/environment in UK, it is very different!
Being from an American MNC in Malaysia, I noticed that UK workers, differentiate the work and personal life very clearly. While it is a good sign - such as 100% focus on work, no OT ... etc, but the line is too clear that there's no interaction between the team members. I have been feeding back to my manager about the lack of meetings in the office, where each team member has no idea what's going on with the project or what each other is doing. The answer I have from my manager is - "I will organize a monthly staff meeting next month", and that has been the same answer for the past 6 months!
That's why I feel extremely bored in the office. It is always interesting and fun to have technical discussion on the white board where everyone can learn. It's also quite a nice feeling to be able to talk to your team mates or mangers during lunch hours, quarterly events, etc. But they are not happening here ...

junior

Post by junior » Tue Jul 29, 2008 8:24 am

Technically speaking if you look at with a different point of view, you all will agree that we spent 8 hours of our day at the workplace and however hard we try to deny, workplace matters a lot and you tend to get influenced by what you do and act ....I also feel that the work culture in the UK is totally different to what it is in the US....having worked for US companies, I can vouch for the fact that the difference is genuine....

Now if you look at a big FTSE 100 UK MNC you will notice that they do encourage the concept of creating a cosmopolitan and multicultural work force, this then becomes their main USP while attracting talented work force. The idea of having a mixed highly diverse work force surely adds to the knowledge base and resource pool of the company as they get to see a lot of variations and ways to do a small task which otherwise they would have continued in their own singleton and monotonous ways....

@netacct, go for google UK buddy, you will love the work culture....for sure.

CoolestGuyC
Member of Standing

Post by CoolestGuyC » Tue Jul 29, 2008 8:52 am

junior wrote:@netacct, go for google UK buddy, you will love the work culture....for sure.
They are not actively hiring right now in uk (quoting expense reasons), but they are hiring in Zurich big time, if you are interested. :wink:

netacct

Post by netacct » Tue Jul 29, 2008 11:51 pm

Hi All,

Many thanks to all of you for your replies. It has really helped me to understand the more or less picture of UK work culture.
Just to update you guys, I managed to get a very good offer from a very big MNC. They did not bother about why I want to leave my company so quickly as I had already mentioned that thing to the agency and company was ok with it. But the reason could be I got very rare skills in IT (Identity and Access Management) and they were struggling since last 3 months to get someone. If fact, the same company had rejected my CV 3 months back when I had applied. This time I again applied to their advert through some different agency and had clearly told them that they had rejected my CV in the past. However, this time they shortlisted me, gave quick 30 min interview and they offerd me highest contract rate and highest salary. I had a option of choosing contract or permanent. Unfortunately I choose permanent rather than contract (I keep making mistakes ;-) ).

Hopefully thinks will work out this time. I am anyway keeping my expectations bit low this time. For me work culture matters a lot and I never ever apply to companies which does not allow casuals. We spent most of our life time at work place . So its important to be happy at workplace.

Google, I have seen their Zurich office photos...Its awesome...just like a dreamland...Its like WoW!!!.